Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Penneys Patrick Street Revamp

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭flo8s967qjh0nd

mire wrote: »
    That's a pity; My understanding was that they had made progress on acquisitions and have been progressed with a planning application.

No planning submitted yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

• Registered Users Posts: 86,671 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

So what buildings near did Penneys buy for to expand?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    So what buildings near did Penneys buy for to expand?
    From its own store up to cook street.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 822 ✭✭✭zetalambda

Penneys have the whole block bounded by Patrick street, Cook street, Oliver P street and Robert street bar 2 or 3 premises.

• Advertisement

Still waiting on this. Meanwhile parts of Cook Street turning derelict.
    This is slowly becoming another Event Centre (i.e. never gonna happen).

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭JustLen

Still waiting on this. Meanwhile parts of Cook Street turning derelict.
    This is slowly becoming another Event Centre (i.e. never gonna happen).

It will happen - It's a huge project involving many parts. These things take time.

You would be suprised the amount of work that goes in to make sonething like that happen.

It also costs a bomb!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

Still waiting on this. Meanwhile parts of Cook Street turning derelict. This is slowly becoming another Event Centre (i.e. never gonna happen).

There is not as much bull..... attached to this project, Penny's are a private business and are not relying on local authority or central Government funding, it will happen and when it starts will.be done very quickly as with all private ventures.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭JustLen

They also have to pay huge planning contributions.

JustLen wrote: »
    You would be suprised the amount of work that goes in to make sonething like that happen.
    I wouldn't be surprised.

• Advertisement

Cook Street is deserted most days due to the delay in developing the Penneys 'block'. With all this talk of the car ban and encouraging people into the city, it's a major shame to have a whole city block taken up with a re-development that has been put on the long-finger.
    Given the terrible fire in Primark's Belfast store and the company's commitment to rebuild there, I wouldn't be surprised if the Cork redevelopment doesn't see the light of day in 2019 either.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,394 ✭✭✭ofcork

Could have an impact although galen Weston isn't short of a bob or two!!

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Colibri

Cook street looks absolutely shocking. Such a shame.

Colibri wrote: »
    Cook street looks absolutely shocking. Such a shame.

It's no wonder the fried chicken guy is so vocal. Could be the car ban isn't affecting his business as much as the vacant street it's on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,607 ✭✭✭snotboogie

It's no wonder the fried chicken guy is so vocal. Could be the car ban isn't affecting his business as much as the vacant street it's on.

Must be why he appealed the Victoria Hotel development so... it’s not like Zara would have brought foot traffic or anything. It’s been with ABP for 10 months due to his appeal

• Registered Users Posts: 5 corknewyork

I hope Penneys can manage to work the facades of all of the buildings into the scheme (only one is protected). Outside of the building occupied by The Denim Store, all of the buildings on that side of the street are quite boring, however all of the Penneys' side ones are all really nice, especially considering most of the buildings on Oliver Plunkett Street and its side streets are quite poor. It would be a shame to see them go. I also do not understand why the old street lamps at either end of Cook Street were removed. They made it a really nice street, now it looks horrific with the graffiti covered board, the mismatched paving and vacant stores.

As for the Patrick Street side, hopefully they don't extend the frontage there. The Jack & Jones/Vero Moda and Tiger buildings don't go back very far, while Penneys stretches the whole way back to Cook Street. I would prefer if they could just build around those, like how Opera Lane built around the EBS/Gentleman's Quarters buildings. It would really be a shame to see the beautiful interior of the former building removed (the mahogany staircase, the columns inside, wooden floors and the great ground floor entrance and windows)

Still nothing happening here?

Advertisement