Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Child minder rates

Options
  • 22-09-2016 5:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭

Hi, sorry if this has been asked a million times already, but I am looking for a bit of general advice for a friend.
    She needs a child minder, 3 days a week 9-5 hours, oldest in play school so needs to be dropped off, youngest 10 months. She wants to know the around about rate per hour. Her previous minder was a friend who didn't charge her very much, but circumstances have changed and needs a new one. Its really so she has a general idea of rates, so she isn't being screwed, or is it a case they can charge what they want? Also do you have to pay for the minder if you take the kids out for holidays? I would presume yes, but again her other minder didn't.

Thanks in advance everyone. Oh she is in Dublin/Kildare area.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

Average €10 per hour for 2, plus holiday pay

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Most minders will give a discount for the 2nd child.
    I would charge about 200pw

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Some charge for holidays, some don't. Mine doesn't, but I usually give her a decent amount in a card when she takes her summer hols (possibly not quite the full amount id give if she was minding) , and a generous Xmas gift. If I take single days off, etc. Throughout the year, I usually just pay the full weeks money.
    My rates wouldn't be very informative for you, because I'm down the country, so not paying anywhere near Dublin rates.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Cork2015!

We pay €35 per day for 2 kids to be minded.

The lady who does it also draws the dole so I feel that the €175 per week she gets of me is MORE than enough when she is already getting over €200 per week,

I know people will say I shouldn't do this that I should have proper registered child minder etc etc but it literally either do it like this or one of us quit our jobs and mind them ourselves

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Dublin North, we were paying 30eur a day for one child. That seemed to be quite a low price. Standard seemed to be anything between 35-50eur for one child for the full day.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Cork2015! wrote: »
    We pay €35 per day for 2 kids to be minded.

The lady who does it also draws the dole so I feel that the €175 per week she gets of me is MORE than enough when she is already getting over €200 per week,

I know people will say I shouldn't do this that I should have proper registered child minder etc etc but it literally either do it like this or one of us quit our jobs and mind them ourselves

Registering and insurance only costs €150 PA and income is tax exempt up to 15k.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Delaney.2

Hi,
    I'm looking for a child minder for a 4yr old boy attending Montessori 8.45 to 2pm mon-fri with a half day finish at 12pm on a Wednesday and a 6month old baby in the Clondalkin area. Any suggestions on where to look for a suitable childminder?
    Thanks!

www.childminding.ie is a good start.
    Your local childcare committee will have a list too.

Advertisement