Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Query regarding available speeds

Options
  • 22-09-2016 5:44pm
    Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,285 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I'm in the process of moving house and the address I'm moving to is in a fibre enabled area, howver even though houses either side of me are able to get 60mb fibre according to the line checker on the website I'm stuck with 5mb non-fibre. These houses were all built at the same time, I'm 400m from a cabinet as the crow flies and about 650m if you follow the  road.

When I rang vodafone they straight up said I can only get 5mb, when I rang eir they wouldn't give me a figure, said I needed an active phone line and it needed to be tested. Line has been active for 2 days now so I rang again today and they said I can only get 5mb. 

Far as I can tell the eir reps are just typing my phone number into the website and giving me the figure it gives back yet when you're on the phone with them they make it sound like there's other tests that can be done. 

The rep I dealt with on monday said it would be escalated to their manager when the line went live in order to see conclusively whether I could get fibre or not. When I rang today the rep said I need to wait until next wednesday for the line to be tested again in case it's wrong as it's odd that all my neighbours seem to have fibre and I don't (even though this was explained to them on Monday and again after the line went live on tuesday).

Can anyone here give me a straight answer or get a technician out to see what the actual issue is?

As it stands I'll be canceling on wednesday unless a miracle occurs and I can actually get fibre. So far it seems I'm just being stalled until my cooling off period runs out so I can't cancel regardless of speeds.

Any help is appreciated.

Advertisement