Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swimming down Blackrock

Options
  • 22-09-2016 5:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭

Given that we have such a varied and wide range of posters here in the Galway Forum, surely there must be a contingent of mad hoors like myself that consistently swim down Blackrock.

I see so many of the same faces all the time, and I sometimes wonder if it's any of ye. So if you're just an occasional dipper, or an-all-year-rounder, I'd love to hear your thoughts and comments...

And yes, the bleedin' state of the path up to the diving board is abysmal. :pac:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

Pontoooon rage!!!!

Yeah swim there the odd time. Lovely spot and great community down there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

I very much missed the raft this year... I wonder is there any interest amongst locals to try to implement something again?

Health & Safety or some shíte was the reason they gave for getting rid of it in the first place, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

Yeah something along the lines of no safe way to install it and/or remove it

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭kal7

I often swim at Blackrock, though in a wetsuit so maybe I don't count. Often with triathlon club on wednesday evening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Moo Moo Land

I absolutely love Blackrock. It is a fantastic amenity. I'll be honest, the state of the diving board path/surface doesn't bother me so much.
    I try to jump off the top every now and again but only on a high tide.
    The thing I love the best is the positivity and craic down there. It can be really uplifting.

• Advertisement

kal7 wrote: »
    I often swim at Blackrock, though in a wetsuit so maybe I don't count. Often with triathlon club on wednesday evening.

I've probably shared a polite nod with you at some stage then. Wednesday evenings is one of my regular times. Question though, has the triathlon club stopped meeting for the season? It was fierce quiet last Wednesday.

There were 2 races last weekend (Fri & Sat) at 7pm from the tower on the high tide. Good numbers too.

The yellow buoys running along the prom from the tower are a great idea. A lot of people using them to get fit.

Cold water swimming is so so good for you healthwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭forestgirl

I love blackrock and the promenade summer or winter it's amazing.how deep is the water around the diving board at high tide does anyone know?

forestgirl wrote: »
    how deep is the water around the diving board at high tide does anyone know?

Not sure but I would guess 12-15 feet on an average high tide (4.5m). I never touch the seabed on jumps and I am pretty heavy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭kal7

Yes, Triathlon club finished supported swims for the year, although many still going individually for good while yet.

The health promotion of HSE with contributions from Corrib water polo and triathlon club put the buoys out.
    They are great resource for all of us.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Got out for a good few swims in Blackrock earlier this year. Mostly for triathlon training leading up to Challenge Galway. It's such a great and simple facility, always open and freely available for everyone to use.

I hope the final refurbishment works are much more light handed than what was shown in the initial viewing - excessive railings and flattening of the surfaces could badly damage the charm of the place.
    kal7 wrote: »
    The health promotion of HSE with contributions from Corrib water polo and triathlon club put the buoys out.
    They are great resource for all of us.

The buoys are hugely helpful for those going out to swim distance. Thanks to all involved in getting them out there every year.
    how deep is the water around the diving board at high tide does anyone know?

It depends how high the high tide is...

J o e wrote: »
    The buoys are hugely helpful for those going out to swim distance. Thanks to all involved in getting them out there every year.

Yeah, I agree. It's nice to work towards something like the 2nd buoy and come back knowing you've had a nice little swim.

Now the big question, people... The source of much debate amongst people down there... Are wetsuits cheating? :P

I love blackrock and the promenade summer or winter it's amazing.how deep is the water around the diving board at high tide does anyone know?

It's about 4.3 metres today.

I use this site to check before I swim. https://www.tidetimes.org.uk/galway-tide-times

Now the big question, people... The source of much debate amongst people down there... Are wetsuits cheating? :P

No...drysuits are cheating!

Wetsuits make you experience the initial cold just as much. The positive of the wetsuits is that you can stay in the water longer and they are safer (better bouyancy).

I use this site to check before I swim. https://www.tidetimes.org.uk/galway-tide-times

This site is good for planning your week/month

http://tides.mobilegeographics.com/calendar/month/2085.html

Friday evening look nice and high.

There is also a good free app called "Tides Near Me".

That's 4.3m above chart datum ("approximately the lowest level due to astronomical effects and excluding meteorological effects").

I don't know what level the seabed is under the diving tower relative to chart datum but 4.3 is actually a very low high tide (neap tides at the moment).

I generally use Easy Tide;
    http://www.ukho.gov.uk/EasyTide/EasyTide/ShowPrediction.aspx?PortID=0709&PredictionLength=7

There is also a good free app called "Tides Near Me".

There is a handy Android app called "Galway Tide Times"...
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.galwaytidetimes&hl=en_GB

No

I've no time for this bravado among some swimmers down there. A lot of the anti-wetsuit swimmers only go in for a short dip, if you're going in for a longer distance/time or just aren't comfortable with the cold water then by all means wear a wetsuit.

I've been down to Blackrock for the past 3 lunchtimes and there is always a steady stream of people in swimming.
    Absolutely great to see in mid-October. Great for physical and mental health.

Jaysus, it was ferociously cold yesterday evening by comparison to even two weeks ago. Not as many people down there as well, just one chap and I in the water at 6.30pm.

Also, I now have a key for the changing room, so the adversion to swim whilst it's bucketing down is gone! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Fair play to ya for getting in the freezing water! :)

One part masochism, to 3 parts stubbornness! Recipe for success.

biko wrote: »
    Fair play to ya for getting in the freezing water! :)

The folks that do it every day of the year should be rewarded somehow. I don't know how they do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Blackrock is one of Galway's greatest facilities. I'm a regular there year round and the community of people that swim there are some of the nicest that you could meet. The water is definitely taking a dip in temps, the only positive is that there should be fewer jellies around now!

Echoing comments made by a poster above, I've huge concerns regarding the impending 'regeneration' of Blackrock, it appears to be driven completely by H&S. I am eagerly awaiting their planning application.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭McTigs

Also, I now have a key for the changing room, so the adversion to swim whilst it's bucketing down is gone! :D
    how "in" do you have to be to get one of those

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

McTigs wrote: »

Very:D

I can only aspire to the heady heights of 'having a key':)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭martin6651

Red be careful with the lock, make sure the lock is closed before you remove the key or else it can get messed up inside.

McTigs wrote: »

You just gotta grease the right palms... ;)
    martin6651 wrote: »
    Red be careful with the lock, make sure the lock is closed before you remove the key or else it can get messed up inside.

Cool. Thanks for the heads up. I'll keep that in mind for later.

My 5/4 winter wetsuit was dispatched from the Shannon DHL facility about twenty minutes ago; should hopefully be with me a little later and I can get a chance to break it in this evening! :D

I use the pool a fair bit but have so far chickened out of going in at Blackrock. I have reckoned that it would only be good for dipping in and out as wouldn’t feel safe swimming out to sea. Used to live near Bondi many years ago and they had a 50m outdoor pool which gave the benefits of both the pool and outdoor swimming with no chlorine needed, even had the waves breaking over it and would feel great after getting a good swim in there. Have often wished something similar was available here as could could get a good healthy swim in safely.. ps If anyone knows any outdoor swimming clubs for non-triathletes would be interested in knowing about them..

• Advertisement

I have reckoned that it would only be good for dipping in and out as wouldn’t feel safe swimming out to sea. .

I was in the same boat for a long time, but I've gotta say that Blackrock is really quite safe; as long as you don't have too much of a problem being out of your depth at high tide. Low tide is really pleasant and you have complete control how deep you go.

Also, there's no currents or rips down Blackrock, and you're more likely to be blown in land than out to sea.

Advertisement