Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swimming down Blackrock

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Moo Moo Land

I have reckoned that it would only be good for dipping in and out as wouldn’t feel safe swimming out to sea.

It's actually quite safe there. The prevailing wind is generally from SW so the waves tend to be pushing you towards the beach/shore. Also the diving board structure itself provides good shelter for getting in and out. The risk of being swept "out to sea" is very small. Just keep an eye on the flow when you get in. A wetsuit will also provide more bouyancy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

I went to the public information night in the Salthill Hotel to meet with the engineers of the proposed 're-development' of Blackrock many, many months ago. The said then that they were hopeful the work would be completed before the start of the 2017 summer. Obviously this hasn't happened and since then there has been very little if any info about what's going on.

I just spotted this on FB from Niall O'Tuathail about a meeting he's holding at Blackrock this evening:

https://www.facebook.com/events/681370618654174/?acontext=%7B%22ref%22%3A%223%22%2C%22ref_newsfeed_story_type%22%3A%22regular%22%2C%22action_history%22%3A%22null%22%7D
    Hi all,
    I'm not sure how many people are aware but Galway City Council are proposing to begin some developments to Blackrock, and observations are invited from the public.
    The plans aren't very clear but seem to include a long corridor of handrails that would break up the area and significantly change the nature of Blackrock. Apparently there was clear opposition to this at the public consulation meeting that happened but it seems like that is not reflected in the plans.
    To ensure people are fully aware and can make submissions, we are obtaining as much information as we can from the Council, including the objectives they are trying to achieve with the development, and Earthbound Films are preparing a 3D model that will show what the area will look like.
    We will be at Blackrock at 6pm on Wednesday, and look forward to engaging with the community at Blackrock to make sure the maximum benefit is gotten from funds available for investment in Blackrock.
    All the best,
    Niall

18835959_1343096212471482_2667653987259590265_n.jpg?oh=cd180016a7409aa9f5073daec1f5cf20&oe=59EA714E

If anyone here is attending I'd be very grateful if you could post here about what happened - I'm out of the country and can't attend. Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

We will be at Blackrock at 6pm on Wednesday, and look forward to engaging with the community at Blackrock to make sure the maximum benefit is gotten from funds available for investment in Blackrock.

This has been pushed to 7pm
    Hi everyone, thanks so much for the strong interest. We are pushing out the start to 7pm to allow some interested Councillors to attend.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

Feck the handrails, fix the potholes, erect a life guard hut, and leave the swimmers to do what they do best. :p

Feck the handrails, fix the potholes, erect a life guard hut, and leave the swimmers to do what they do best. :p

I couldn't agree more!

• Advertisement

I was out there last Friday. Sunny but f'in cold. Still, all 10 (yes 10) bike stands at the Tower full to the brim.

Given the general attitude to parking in Salthill, more bike racks would be a good idea and encourage alternative methods of transport.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,227 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Haven't been there in a long time. Saw pictures of it looking tired, grotty and basically falling apart. Is that the way it still is? Jumped off the top diving board a few times in my youth. It was all a bit raw. Happy memories of the place and the auld donkey as you enter.

What do people do with their gear when they are swimming? Is everything safe to leave unguarded?
    Would love to get back into swimming down there, but a little concerned that my things might grow legs and disappear

I think there's almost this weird unspoken rule where nobody messes with other people's gear down there. I was concerned at first about leaving my phone and wallet in my bag, so I'd generally leave it in the car or something. Nowadays, I either stuff it in my shoes, and my socks down on top of it, or if I'm feeling particularly paranoid, wrap my stuff in my jocks and cram it down the bottom of my bag. Probably TMI for people, but meh... :pac:

I've been swimming there all my life and have never had my bag touched. I usually leave my phone and wallet in the car but I'm not too bothered if I bring them with me.

Beware of sunny/hot days as Blackrock becomes a magnet for all types of scumbags. Every other day is fine.

• Advertisement

Yeah, presumed everything was safe, and good to hear your opinions on it. Thanks

Now need to start looking to get a triathlon wetsuit, and get back in the sea.

I think there's almost this weird unspoken rule where nobody messes with other people's gear down there. I was concerned at first about leaving my phone and wallet in my bag, so I'd generally leave it in the car or something. Nowadays, I either stuff it in my shoes, and my socks down on top of it, or if I'm feeling particularly paranoid, wrap my stuff in my jocks and cram it down the bottom of my bag. Probably TMI for people, but meh...

Ah yes. The old 'putting it in the shoe trick'. Robber never think of looking there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

bobbyss wrote: »
    Ah yes. The old 'putting it in the shoe trick'. Robber never think of looking there.

Good luck to them if they go near my shoesðŸ€...they'll deserve the haul

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭flatty

I've never seen or heard of anyone having anything robbed down there, but it's only a matter of time I suppose.
    It's my favourite place in the world near enough.

Is there a small room somewhere there? I seem to recall a door there. Where do women get changed?

There's no different changing facilities for women. Wrap yourself in a towel and work away.

There is a room but it requires a key and it seems to be just the local elders that have access. Always seemed strange as it's presumably publically owned.

Technically it is a public access changing facility, that just requires you to pop along to city council, fill out a form with your details, give them a tenner, and they'll give you a key there and then.

However, it is only accessible to public between the months of September to May. During the summer months, it's used as a lifeguard hut and equipment storage (kayaks, paddle boards, what-have-you). I've used the room maybe twice since I got the key. Changing outside is just as handy, and you have the stone benches and a bit of weather cover if you're concerned about your gear getting blown about/wet.

Quite a few people aren't too bashful about getting changed in front of others (myself included) so don't be shocked to see a bit of bum, boobs and balls from time to time. :P

Technically it is a public access changing facility, that just requires you to pop along to city council, fill out a form with your details, give them a tenner, and they'll give you a key there and then.

I did not know this. Like yourself I'm happy to change outside (help lower your temp before hitting the water!) but good to know I'm an equal citizen!

Has anyone ever died while there, swimming in the sea or as a result of?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Greaney

Has anyone ever died while there, swimming in the sea or as a result of?

Indeed, I'm glad you've asked this. When I was looking at this thread earlier I came across the post and saw the part where folk were talking about Blackrock being 'upgraded' with more safety facilities, I thought 'hold on a second, I've never heard of anyone getting killed there!! So why would you invest in something not needed?'.

So here's my tuppence worth, I've heard only of someone being reckless (one story in the last 30 years) and jumping in when it was too shallow and being taken to hospital, other than that, even the young are very nervous about either jumping on, or being landed on, from the diving board, so they're pretty cautious, with a good 'look before you leap' stratagy:D:

Blackrock is a joy, very special, real Galway, and I try to bring visitors there at least once in their visit to get a lovely authentic Galway experience.

• Advertisement

I've never heard of anyone dying, certainly not in the 20+ years I've been swimming there.

The only serious injury I remember is is girl who broke he ankles after jumping off the top board when the water was too low. Nothing a maze of handrails would have prevented.

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    I've never heard of anyone dying, certainly not in the 20+ years I've been swimming there.

The only serious injury I remember is is girl who broke he ankles after jumping off the top board when the water was too low. Nothing a maze of handrails would have prevented.

Actually I wasn't thinking of accidents and the like. The health benefits of swimming are well known but the idea of jumping into freezing cold water in the height of winter is not something I would be so keen on. I don't know how that would be viewed from a medical point of view? Sometimes I see quite mature people taking a dip there so they clearly enjoy it. But would it induce a heart attack for example? I used to hear about someone who went swimming in Blackrock 'every day of his life' and then I heard he had had a heart attack and died. Probably not true but that prompted my query.

Nothing a maze of handrails would have prevented.

The handrails are nothing but new obstacles for young lads to climb up on and jump off - especially where they're blocking old jumping points off the diving board. They'll be the cause of more accidents than they'll prevent.

Nothing a maze of handrails would have prevented.

Also, the lifeguards now have a new maze of handrails to get through when they see someone in difficulty in the water.

The health benefits of swimming are well known but the idea of jumping into freezing cold water in the height of winter is not something I would be so keen on. I don't know how that would be viewed from a medical point of view?

So interestingly enough, I've had many conversations with doctors about this. My mum's partner was a GP for 40 odd years, and swam down Blackrock as often as possible; he reckoned it was one of the best things you could do for body and mind. Another chap I got chatting to (and later found out was a surgeon in Galway) said it was "as good as ECT and a damn sight cheaper". I guess the only concern you'd need in the dead of winter would be that you dry off properly afterwards and not be walking around damp. Also if you have a pre-existing heart condition or family history of heart problems, I'd put it into the same vein as riding a rollercoaster, going ziplining, or something like that.
    I used to hear about someone who went swimming in Blackrock 'every day of his life' and then I heard he had had a heart attack and died.

Exception as opposed to the rule, perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭martin6651

Joe , ronnie3585 Get down to City Hall and log your objections to the proposed changes.

Can we do it via the phone/email?

redhairedguy sent you pm with a list of city councilors. yes you can use email to respond to changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

martin6651 wrote: »
    redhairedguy sent you pm with a list of city councilors. yes you can use email to respond to changes.

Martin6651 will you pm me the list too if you get a chance? Thanks

• Advertisement

list sent
    Question : Can the list be posted here ??

Advertisement