Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swimming down Blackrock

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

The south facing springboards on the lowest level of the tower have been re-installed. The previous ones were covered in a layer of rope like material which was completely non-slip. The new ones are basically varnished timber boards. They are lethally slippy when wet. It's mind blowing that the council is planning to spend over €100k to put up railings all in the name of H&S when at the same time they install these boards that are guaranteed to cause personal injury!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

martin6651 wrote: »
    list sent
    Question : Can the list be posted here ??

Let's just keep it to PM for the moment. Posting email addresses (even publicly available ones) is a bit dodge.
    ronnie3585 wrote: »
    The south facing springboards on the lowest level of the tower have been re-installed.

Had the pleasure of diving off one of them yesterday. Great craic!

Had the pleasure of diving off one of them yesterday. Great craic!

As did I, there's a good spring off them! If only they'd bring the raft back now!

The story in the Advertiser today (http://www.advertiser.ie/galway/article/93257/dont-fence-me-in-blackrock-swimmers-alarmed-by-proposed-handrails-for-bathing-site) says that submissions in respect of the proposed development can be made in writing or by email, but it doesn't give a postal or email address. Does anyone have these or a reference number, can find anything on the Council's website?

Forwarded on the PM that martin6651 sent me.

• Advertisement

Thanks a mil! I've already been in contact with my local Councillors, I was looking for the correct email/postal address for the planning dept to lodge a submission/objection.

Linky McLinkleton

According to the City Council website, they're recommending the 'planning@' email address.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    The south facing springboards on the lowest level of the tower have been re-installed. The previous ones were covered in a layer of rope like material which was completely non-slip. The new ones are basically varnished timber boards. They are lethally slippy when wet. It's mind blowing that the council is planning to spend over €100k to put up railings all in the name of H&S when at the same time they install these boards that are guaranteed to cause personal injury!

Goes to show the intelligence of the council.
    It was probably someone browsing online and saw some boards and went "ohhh shiney"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭martin6651

planning@galwaycity.ie email address for objections to changes.

Tomorrow is the last day to get in your objections to the addition of the rails so try and get them in.

• Advertisement

Tomorrow is the last day to get in your objections to the addition of the rails so try and get them in.

The deadline's 4pm today.

Frightful amount of jellies down there on Monday and lesser so yesterday.

Those stingy brown bastárds got me good. :(

Don't worry Red they only give you a little tickle

Don't worry Red they only give you a little tickle

Jaysus, by that logic I'd hate to see your definition of a hug... :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,437 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

There's a small article on the history of the diving board in the Old Galway section of this weeks Advertiser if anyone's interested.

Any update on the proposed re-development? There's nothing on the Council website or the planning section.

It was supposed to be on the agenda for Sept. but didn't make so it was moved to Oct. meeting so I have been told.

Any news on this? Nout on the Council’s website.

Haven't heard anything hopefully its been shelved until they listen to the concerns
    of the swimmers and come up with a better plan to refurbish the tower and surrounding area.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Worn Out

So no news on the development of the diving board. The surface walking out to the sea is very poor. A little resurfacing would really spruce it up.

• Advertisement

Worn Out wrote: »
    So no news on the development of the diving board. The surface walking out to the sea is very poor. A little resurfacing would really spruce it up.

There doesn’t appear to be anything happening. You’re right, some resurfacing and also a lick of paint would do the world of good but one of Galway’s biggest icons is left to rot as we approach the busy season.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭kenn0

Hi all. I will be in Salthill next week Friday 26th for the weekend. What are the best(safest) times for a jump? Ten years since I jumped off the top. Hopefully still brave enough to jump.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

When tide is high www.tidetimes.org.uk/galway-tide-times

or you see other people jumping in

• Registered Users Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭flazio

....and there are no alerts on the Met Eireann website. (shouldn't be at this time of year but you know what that place is like)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭BeardySi

biko wrote: »

or you see other people jumping in

Even better if you see them coming back out again afterwards ;)

High tide Fri 27th is 16:40 Sat 17:15 Sun 17:50. A good indication is when the lower arch's are under water then its safe to jump for each level.

Does anyone know if the buoys are out in Salthill yet. Tempted to pop in this evening for the first time this year. Forgot my wetsuit. What's the temperature like?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

Does anyone know if the buoys are out in Salthill yet. Tempted to pop in this evening for the first time this year. Forgot my wetsuit. What's the temperature like?

11C.

11C.

And beautiful. No need for a wetsuit. Won't be long til the jellies arrive though:(

The tower looks appalling, like it's been through a nuclear winter.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Does anyone know if the buoys are out in Salthill yet.

No buoys out yet (as of last Sunday anyway).

Advertisement