Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swimming down Blackrock

Options
124»

Comments

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    And beautiful. No need for a wetsuit. Won't be long til the jellies arrive though:(

The tower looks appalling, like it's been through a nuclear winter.

Not so bad so. Wetsuit was only going to be my security blanket. Think I'll give it a shot anyway. Just want to get in for 20 minutes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭martin6651

Temp 13 deg moon jellies(non stinger) around since April organizer waiting for call from health board for the bouys to be dropped into the water.

Managed to get in and 600m last night. It was baltic. Took me about 5 minutes on the stairs to get in :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

I was in yesterday evening too and it was noticeably colder than Monday. It must have known you were coming!!

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    I was in yesterday evening too and it was noticeably colder than Monday. It must have known you were coming!!

It was my first sea swim of the year, and first time without a wetsuit in even longer. I was asking for trouble. Was shivering the whole way home and even after a shower. Can still feel it in my bones :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Anyone know who manages the maintenance of the toilets/showers at Blackrock? There's a mobile number there but its' out of service. The name beside it excapes me - a private company, no website or landline. Probably best to ask the Council?

I was in yesterday morning for a dip and the changing area was covered by a swarm of hundreds of thousands of flies. I've never seen anything like it before. I would have thought it's a little late in the year for such a large hatch of flies.

There doesn't seem to be any talk any more about the proposed development.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Paddico

What development?

16 luxury apartments.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭serfboard

Paddico wrote: »
    What development?
    This development:
    Galway City Council proposes to undertake the following development:

a) Provision of handrails at steps and other potential fall areas;

b) Provision of new handrails on approach to dive tower;

c) Provision of new handrails in isolated areas of dive tower;

d) Cleaning and repainting of existing handrails on dive tower;

e) Replacement of damaged stairs;

f) Grinding of damaged deck surfaces;

g) Exposure of reinforcement under level 2 deck level, treatment of steel and spraying with concrete;

h) Exposure of reinforcement at damaged columns, treatment of steel and spraying with concrete;

i) Replacement of damaged handrails;

j) Pouring of new concrete deck to regularise uneven surface and approach area;

k) Provision of new gates to prevent access via internal stairs;

l) Removal of paint to the concrete structure and repainting;

m) Provision of signage;

n) Provision of removable lifeguard shelter (summer months only)

At the very least, a face-lift is needed as the concrete is in pretty bad shape in some spots.

But the proposal looked awful, with far too many handrails all over the place, so I don't think it got much support.

• Advertisement
Advertisement