Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Market size

Options
  • 22-09-2016 6:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭

I recently had an idea for a new business. It would be a capital intensive so I want to be fairly sure of the current market size and profile before I start going forward. Would it be better to approach the biggest player in the market or go talk to the companies selling equipment to the market?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

It might be worth going down the licensing route if the investment amount is going to be hard to achieve. Without knowing exactly what it is it's hard to know what you would want to do ahead of the approach regarding protecting your idea the last thing you want to do is lay it all out to them and they be like cheers for that we'll just start using that and tell security to kick you out!

If you did go down the route of raising funds what sort of ball park figure do you think you are looking at and when you get to market how long would you guess it would take to get to the sort of market share that makes it sustainable? Tricky questions to be able to answer but questions that investors would asking if you did want to give it a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭mrawkward

ganmo wrote: »
    I recently had an idea for a new business. It would be a capital intensive so I want to be fairly sure of the current market size and profile before I start going forward. Would it be better to approach the biggest player in the market or go talk to the companies selling equipment to the market?

You would need to flesh out the concept if you hope to get some useful feedback. Your post could be for a concept car, a power station or a shopping centre!

Advertisement