Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Recode say that Yahoo Data Breach of 200M passwords

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭liamo

News agencies are now reporting 500 million accounts - some are reporting "at least" 500 million. Holy moley !!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,241 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

If previous years in Yahoo didn't seal the deal for their take, this may have. I wonder how Verizon are feeling about their new acquisition now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

Yup, all over the news, 500million or as the news organisations like to shout "Half a billion!!!!" :P

Have some very old accounts, need to see if they're still active.

2014 this happened. How long did Yahoo! know and say nothing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,285 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

I better dust off my old Oceanfree account.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

BoB_BoT wrote: »
    Yup, all over the news, 500million or as the news organisations like to shout "Half a billion!!!!" :P .

Ah, FFS, Half a billion!!!

Now, 500million we could live with, but half a f***ing billion!!!!

They've just up'd the stakes haven't they

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

Saw this earlier:
    https://isc.sans.edu/forums/diary/YAHDD+Yet+another+HUGE+data+Breach/21513/
    not all Yahoo! customers may know they are Yahoo! customers. Yahoo! white labels email services on behalf of ISPs and email providers. I assume those white label providers will need to do notifications to their customers as well?
    I was in touch with a buddy who uses Sky as his ISP. All his Gmail messages to me come "Via Yahoo.com", so it looks like Sky may be one of these "white label email services". He doesn't have a Sky e-mail account, but he did say it was offered to him when he switched.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

What a week for Infosec. The biggest publicised data breach in history and the biggest DDoS attack ever in the same 2 day period.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

I got a nice email from then today telling me that my account has been select for deactivation and I needed to click a link to stop it, I let it die but as it was a fake it's still alive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

Kur4mA wrote: »
    What a week for Infosec. The biggest publicised data breach in history and the biggest DDoS attack ever in the same 2 day period.

Yeah - I was chatting with a friend about the Yahoo thing last night and he was saying that he had one from way back, but hadn't used it in about 8 or 9 years so he thought it would be worthless.

I then Googled the "value of a hacked email account" to highlight to him how much it is worth to the bad guys and of course all the links coming up were Brian Krebs ones, which I couldn't access, because he is offline, following the second biggest DDOS in history. :confused::rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

Advertisement