Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Certificate of Compliance

• 22-09-2016 6:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi.... Im a new member and new to Ireland and in the process of buying a property. The property in question had quite a lot of structural alteration and so I have looked in great detail at the property electronic file.
    I am satisfied that all planning has been complied with and that the builder has done a good job, however my solicitor, having my best interests at heart is somewhat concerned that the certificate of compliance has been signed off by an Architectural Technician.

I have spent most of the day reading up the differences between an A.T. and Architect and am just about up to speed with the relative skills and merits of both. I appreciate that there is reams of discussion about cert. issue and with that the confusion that goes with it but... What in your collective opinion would be the pitfalls (if any) of buying a property with certs signed off by an AT ... it probably wouldn't be a legal issue... although solicitors seem a little wary generally.. What about banks lending on such properties? Should I be looking additionally at a structural survey .... I should mention the AT in question is self employed, well over 20 years in practice and whilst i am hoping not to take on a mortgage, I am concerned for the day that I might want to sell down the track and am I likely to lose prospective purchasers. Thanks in advance,,,

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,143 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

I'm an arch tech, several of the frequent posters here are also. A cert of compliance with building regulations/ planning compliance: imo an arch tech is better placed to sign than say an architect. Im generalising here, and do not wish to offend anyone - an arch tech's training covers building regulation far more comprehensively than an architect or engineer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 currad

In theory, I would agree totally . An architect would clearly lean toward the design side whereas the AT would lean toward the technical side and I am also generalising... but in day to day reality are both equally accepted as someone to sign the certs covering all aspects particularly banks when it comes to lending...

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,143 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

currad wrote: »
    .. but in day to day reality are both equally accepted as someone to sign the certs covering all aspects particularly banks when it comes to lending...
    some bank on self builds can be difficult.

But your buying a house?
    I can't see the bank being that difficult.
    This issue is flagged by your solicitor, not your bank

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

Make sure they have professional indemnity insurance regardless of their qualifications.

Advertisement