Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NCT: Do I need valve caps?

Options
  • 22-09-2016 6:56pm

Hi All, As the title says... Can my car fail the NCT for not having valve caps?

NCT is in the AM and just noticed that ALL 4 are missing..... As they're not the plastic ones, I can only imagine someone took a shining to them.

Thanks a mill!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,587 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Don't need them.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

If you're worried, take them from another car in the house or something to that effect. Replace them afterwards ;)

Only a 1 car house unfortunately.! Maybe one of my neighbors had the same idea and borrowed mine?... :-)

Sure while we are on the subject of all this.... My passenger door check strap is broke. Will this be noticed or cause a failure?

Too late to get fixed now, but would be nice to know

• Registered Users Posts: 82,587 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

If you have a mountain bike with same connection as a car the valve covers are the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,067 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

If you have a mountain bike with same connection as a car the valve covers are the same.

The ones that have the same connection as the car, can hardly be called "mountain bikes" :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,242 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Motor factors usually sell them in packs of 4 for a few euros but I'd doubt you will fail the NCT without them.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,454 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Most €2 shops will have them.

Go down to the air pump at the garage.
    There's always loads on the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

Neither Valve Caps or Door Check Straps are even mentioned in the NCT Manual.....in any context, and certainly not as a Fail Item.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

CiniO wrote: »
    The ones that have the same connection as the car, can hardly be called "mountain bikes" :D
    why not?

here is a good example why schrader are better on mtbs

http://www.mtbtechniques.co.uk/MaintananceGhetto.html

• Advertisement

Cheers! I did check the manual but was concerned it would be considered damaged body work etc.
    Thanks for your reply

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭MAYOMICK

My car failed the Nct yesterday because the door where the check strap is bolted was cracked.So if the check strap is broken ???
    It will be only a visual anyway but it is a lot easier to replace a check strap than repair a cracked door.OP you might please post if it fails on broken check strap as Im curious.

Fan..F**king..Tastic...

Ill update ye as to how it goes. Thanks MAYOMICK

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Tigger wrote: »
    why not?

here is a good example why schrader are better on mtbs

http://www.mtbtechniques.co.uk/MaintananceGhetto.html

Always had big dirty nokian tubes with schrader valves none of this hipster tubeless crap the young uns do be at these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭turbostan

MAYOMICK wrote: »
    My car failed the Nct yesterday because the door where the check strap is bolted was cracked.So if the check strap is broken ???
    It will be only a visual anyway but it is a lot easier to replace a check strap than repair a cracked door.OP you might please post if it fails on broken check strap as Im curious.

Is that a 2009> Avensis??
    They're becoming a problem!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Missing valve caps are always something that catch my eye, nothing big, but still ;)

No its a focus.. Wind caught it last winter

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭MAYOMICK

turbostan wrote: »
    Is that a 2009> Avensis??
    They're becoming a problem!!

Yes spot on.

Check strap was not an issue. However, car failed regardless... Indicator bulbs "nor orange enough".....

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

NCT is about having a safe car, valve caps don't affect this at all so are not needed.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

raptor_ wrote: »
    Check strap was not an issue. However, car failed regardless... Indicator bulbs "nor orange enough".....

Ah " have to fill quota an couldn't find anything really wrong"

Advertisement