Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bins not being emptied

Options
  • 22-09-2016 7:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭

Hi guys, I've been using Greyhound bins for over a year with no issues. I have a direct debit set up and they collect my black bin and recycle bin every other week. All this was great until 6 weeks ago I noticed my black bin wasn't collected. I thought it was strange but it wasn't that full so I guessed they'd just missed it by accident. Then 2 weeks ago I noticed the same, it was full at that stage and so I phoned them and emailed them. It went back and forth over the two weeks and they just said that the bin is obviously compacted and the items aren't emptying out.

The bin is definitely not compacted. Last Monday, again the bin wasn't collected. I dropped them another email saying that it's now urgent and I really do need the bin emptied because I literally am storing rubbish in my kitchen as I've nowhere else. I sent pictures showing the bin is in the same location and showed how the rubbish is not compacted.

I've sent a chaser and still no response.

Has anyone had any of the same experience? Any suggestions on what I can do? (Drop a mail to end the contract and cancel direct debit?)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

They never emotied my green bin last week. Thought it was strange and it definstley wasn't compacted. I'll see what happens next week

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Happened to us too in Dublin 8, Bin wasn't collected and the brother rang up - they said that there was stuff unsuitable in the bin which is bollox as everything is in white plastic bags. They then wanted €13 to come out and collect it or wait 2 weeks for the next collection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Pim Pictus

They haven't collected mine over the last couple of weeks either. I'm going to get rid of the wheelie bins and go back to bags I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

get your bank to pull back the direct debit.
    they wont be long about wanting their money.

why should you pay and they not collect the bin

failing that I would drop the contents of the bin into their office

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

Sounds like somthings going on. Maybe you guys should send a common letter so they cant pretend these are individual issues.
    Are the neighbours' bins being collected?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭CPTM

Thanks for the responses everyone. It's good to know I'm not the only one. I think I'll ring up City Bins today and see if they can take me on. Or would anyone recommend a good alternative that they've used? I'm based in Dublin 6.
    Oink wrote:
    Sounds like somthings going on. Maybe you guys should send a common letter so they cant pretend these are individual issues. Are the neighbours' bins being collected?

I think I'm one of the only ones left on my road that still use greyhound. The other non-greyhound bins are definitely getting emptied so it's not an access level thing. It does require reversing down a cul de sac to us. The strange thing is that my recycle bin is getting emptied as normal, but my black bin which is left in the same spot just gets ignored, and the guy in their office can't understand why it's not getting collected. It's mad.. I will call them again this morning and report back.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,867 ✭✭✭budhabob

As of the 1st of August you have been moved to a new contract (regardless of the status of your previous contract). Happened to us. So to have our bins collected, even with >€60 credit in the account we had to pay an additional amount (circa €180 from memory). They claim it has to do with the proposed pay by weight legislation.

So we cancelled in late august, and we're still waiting on them to collect their bins. i sent them a strongly worded email yesterday.

We moved to the city bin company, and they have been a joy to deal with so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Rakish Paddy

Greyhound are a really terrible company to deal with. Their collection practices are patchy to say the least, and they tend not to reply at all to customer service emails in cases where they failed to collect.

If you do a bit of googling they seem to be more than just a bit dodgy as a company too. They hide their accounts in the Isle of Man (although I don't think they're the only crowd at that), and have been fined for storing waste illegally in rural locations.

From word of mouth, the City Bin Co. do seem to be doing a good job of satisfying customers left disgruntled with Greyhound, despite their 'baptism of fire' in the Dublin waste collection business.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

The only answer I would expect from professionals is:
    - This is below our standards and we apologize
    - We will find out what is going on and we will fix it
    - If you were charged we will correct it.

If all you got was 'Who knows what our staff are up to', it's time to walk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭CPTM

Update:

I couldn't get through to the reception on Friday like I said, so i just dropped them a mail saying I'll cancel the direct debit and please end my contract.

Was walking back from the shops today though and saw a greyhound bin lorry reversing down a road near to mine. I walked down and asked the guy if he knew what was happening. He didn't really answer. He just grunted and got on with what he was doing. I asked again and he said if I bring the bin over to him he will empty it for me now.. I ran back to my road and got my bin and he emptied and flung it back to me and they drove off. It's Saturday and they're emptying bins in the rain so I'm not gonna complain about a lack of enthusiasm.

Still though, think I'm glad to be moving on. Hopefully there'll be more reliability at City bins, but for now I'm just happy to have the rubbish out of my kitchen!

• Advertisement
Advertisement