Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best cheap 1080p build.

Options
  • 22-09-2016 7:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭

Just thought I'd throw this up here for a general guideline for people wanting a really strong 1080p gaming PC delivered for under €650. Also to see if anyone can improve on it.

Most parts from Mindfactory using geizhals.de to get a small discount. You need to search for each part individually on geizhals and select mindfactory from the list of sellers, then add each part to the cart. Case from amazon.co.uk.

Intel Core i5 6500 4x 3.60GHz - €196.37
    MSI H110M PRO-D - €48.36
    G.Skill Value 4 DIMM 8GB, DDR4-2133 - €33.54
    Gainward GeForce GTX 1060 3GB - €204.74
    275GB Crucial MX300 - €65.82
    XFX XT500 500W PSU - €42.53
    Aerocool QS240 Gaming M-ATX Case with Side Window - €33 (Order this from Amazon.co.uk with free delivery as mindfactory charge €30 extra for delivering cases.)
    Delivery - €30

Total €654

If you need extra storage grab 1 of these. Western Digital WD Blue 1TB - €46.43

If you want to save €85 you can go for the i3 6100. It will do just as well as the i5 in most games but the i5 does better in more cpu intensive titles. You could grab the i5 6400 either if you want to save €20.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Solid build. Can't see anything I'd change with it. Also good calls on the SSD and i3.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

BloodBath wrote: »
    Just thought I'd throw this up here for a general guideline for people wanting a really strong 1080p gaming PC delivered for under €650. Also to see if anyone can improve on it.

Most parts from Mindfactory using geizhals.de to get a small discount. You need to search for each part individually on geizhals and select mindfactory from the list of sellers, then add each part to the cart. Case from amazon.co.uk.

i5 6500 3.2ghz quad core processor- €195,57
    MSI H110M Pro-D Motherboard - €48,36
    8GB HyperX DDR4-2400 Ram - €37.85
    Palit GeForce GTX 1060 DUAL Aktiv 3GB Graphics Card - €209.95
    Western Digital WD Blue 1TB HDD - €46.43
    Corsair VS450 450w PSU - €36.85
    Thermaltake Versa H15 M-ATX Gaming Case - €40
    Delivery - €30

Total €645

If you can stretch the budget to include an ssd add 1 of these or just replace the HDD with it. 275GB is probably enough to get you going. You can always add more later. 275GB Crucial MX300 - €65.82.

If you want to save €85 you can go for the i3 6100. It will do just as well as the i5 in most games but the i5 does better in more cpu intensive titles.

I disagree on your choice of PSU - the VS450 is not properly certified, and not a true 450W PSU.

For a gaming build, spend a few quid more:
    Corsair CX450M
    XFX XTFR 500W
    EVGA Bronze 500W

Also, H110 motherboards only support DDR4-2133, so you can save by buying a 1x8Gb stick for ~€32.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    I disagree on your choice of PSU - the VS450 is not properly certified, and not a true 450W PSU.

For a gaming build, spend a few quid more:
    Corsair CX450M
    XFX XTFR 500W
    EVGA Bronze 500W

Also, H110 motherboards only support DDR4-2133, so you can save by buying a 1x8Gb stick for ~€32.

Yeah it's a budget option but I have used that psu in quite a few builds without issue now. That PC would only use about 200w on average load. I don't think it's going to stress it too badly. This is a build for people who really want power on a smallish budget. Maybe better off spending an extra €20 here if paranoid though. It does say it is 80+ certified on that site and even a 408w max load is more than enough for this system even with power usage spikes and graphics card overclocking. That Corsair cx is worth the extra €8 though. I'll update the build with cheaper ram and that psu.

Ram prices aren't much/any different between those speeds anyway. Since it's a windowed case I didn't go for the cheapest green non spreader ram. It's only a few euro more.

Made some changes. Better PSU and an even cheaper 1060 with what looks like the same cooler. End's up at the same price. Thanks for the suggestions Kokiki.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

I'd personally take a 460 with an SSD, would drop you to about €600

• Advertisement

I'd personally take a 460 with an SSD, would drop you to about €600

The 3gb 1060 is a lot faster no? It's right up there with the 480. Maybe I'll stick 2 builds up with an entry level budget build using the i3 and 460 that should only be around €450.

This build is for ultra settings 60fps+ performance in most games. It is probably time to drop HDD's completely from builds though. That 275gb ssd is really good value.

Is mindfactorys delivery still €30?

Oh the 1060 is way faster I know that, but at a tight budget like this I'd rather take a 460 to get off the ground and put €120 into a 1060 in six months, it's handier than moving the whole OS across.

I think HDDs still have a part to play but that's me, I've a heap of stuff on my PC that's just handy to have, as well as Windows taking up about 60gb easily. It's far easier to have a HDD sitting holding a few TV series than using up precious SSD space for them. I'd take a HDD over an SSD if I could only afford one in a gaming PC.

Mainly just opinions of course, your build is impressively cheap. I think a 6400 is about €20 cheaper than the 6500 but that's just pinching pennies.

Delivery is €30 yeah, 60 with a case too

Oh the 1060 is way faster I know that, but at a tight budget like this I'd rather take a 460 to get off the ground and put €120 into a 1060 in six months, it's handier than moving the whole OS across.

I think HDDs still have a part to play but that's me, I've a heap of stuff on my PC that's just handy to have, as well as Windows taking up about 60gb easily. It's far easier to have a HDD sitting holding a few TV series than using up precious SSD space for them. I'd take a HDD over an SSD if I could only afford one in a gaming PC.

Mainly just opinions of course, your build is impressively cheap. I think a 6400 is about €20 cheaper than the 6500 but that's just pinching pennies.

Delivery is €30 yeah, 60 with a case too

Well it's only €20 more for the SSD over the HDD. I think I'll just stick the SSD into the build instead of the HDD and try get the price back down to €650. 275gb is enough to get people going. They can always buy a HDD in a few months when/if they need storage space.

I totally contradicted myself above didn't I? Drop to 6400 and get the SSD and you should be evens

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

It's hard these days to make options to suit every budget because with the arrival of affordable SSDs, everyone has a different opinion as to what's essential and what's not. Personally, while SSD's are brilliant, from a pure performance perspective, I'd agree that I'd way prefer the GTX1060 or RX480 over an RX460 and SSD build. Yes, your build will be faster to boot and games will load faster, but the actual gaming performance will be leagues behind. It's easy for us to use phrases like 'get you started' and 'down the line' etc but realistically most people just want to build a machine that basically doesn't need to be touched for the first few years - we see it all the time when people are coming back to us for upgrade advice, having bought in 2011/2012/2013.

• Advertisement

It's hard these days to make options to suit every budget because with the arrival of affordable SSDs, everyone has a different opinion as to what's essential and what's not. Personally, while SSD's are brilliant, from a pure performance perspective, I'd agree that I'd way prefer the GTX1060 or RX480 over an RX460 and SSD build. Yes, your build will be faster to boot and games will load faster, but the actual gaming performance will be leagues behind. It's easy for us to use phrases like 'get you started' and 'down the line' etc but realistically most people just want to build a machine that basically doesn't need to be touched for the first few years - we see it all the time when people are coming back to us for upgrade advice, having bought in 2011/2012/2013.

That's true but HDD's are awful for multi tasking. Even alt tabbing in and out of games is a pain if you are only using a HDD. The easiest upgrade is adding another storage drive and 275gb is enough for windows and a good few games.

I changed it to the 6400 with the SSD anyway. Still only €640. Sick price for a great PC really.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Good call, that's a nice case for the money Can probably squeeze the 6500 in there as well then.

Just to add if you can't afford windows 10 yet you can still install it and use it for free and legally and activate it at a later date.

http://www.howtogeek.com/244678/you-dont-need-a-product-key-to-install-and-use-windows-10/

Advertisement