Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bleeding - who do you call?

Options
  • 22-09-2016 9:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭

Hi guys. I'm 7 months pregnant. I had a little bit of bleeding just now. I'm not particularly worried about it, because loads of women I know had bleeding in pregnancy and were fine, but I know I'm supposed to call the doctor. My question is who? Is it the GP, the hospital or the district nurse? I had my last pregnancy in London and I knew who to call there, but not here. Oh, and it's the evening time, so there's no one at the GP's office right now. Do I need to call someone tonight, or will the morning do?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭claregal1

Call which ever maternity hospital you are going to a midwife will advise you as what to do

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

If it is spotting, like just a few drops, then wait for the morning and call the GP. If it is more, like light period bleeding or heavier, call someone immediately. Under no circumstances should you wait until there is pain.

• Administrators Posts: 14,030 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

Ring your maternity hospital. They will almost certainly tell you to come in as a precaution. They will put you on the foetal monitor for an hour or so, make sure everything is ok and send you home.

But they always ALWAYS say to go in if there's anything unusual or that you are worried about. They prefer to see you and send you home knowing everything is ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭oakshade

Had a similar experience and at this time of night I suggest you call your maternity hospital. They will have someone on duty in their emergency dept (the name is just a term :) ) who will give you some advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭tracey turnblad

If your attending maternity hospital ring their emergency room for advice asap

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭finooola

Thanks lads

• Registered Users Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭Gatica

For reference, I'd been told to call midwife clinic if it's a day they're open (only once a week), the maternity admissions department (tbc?) if it's during working hours and labour ward if it's outside of those hours.
    Hope you were sorted out and are doing ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭stickybean

Thinking on you Finooola hope everything went okay pet xxxx

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Some maternity units are reluctant to give you an appointment, so if you want to be seen and they are not being helpful, just turn up. If its out of hours go via A&E who will refer you to the EPU. They cant physically turn you away without checking you out. That was a tip I got from a midwife in our local unit.

I hope your bleeding has eased and that all is ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

I got given out to by a midwife recently as I didn't tell them I had had more spotting. I told my doc who said it was grand but the midwife said to always always ring them or just turn up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭finooola

Neyite wrote: »

I hope your bleeding has eased and that all is ok.

All good. I have a lovely 5 week old now.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Congratulations!! I am so delighted that all went well and you have a brand new little one for Christmas :)

Neyite wrote: »
    Congratulations!! I am so delighted that all went well and you have a brand new little one for Christmas :)

And so say all of us!!

Advertisement