Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PV panels,meter going backwards but charges me...

Options
  • 22-09-2016 10:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭

Hello,

Got PV panels installed recently and connected the inverter to on-grid panel.
    The normal analog / dial wheel meter is going forward as normal but since then,sometime,is standing still or is moving backwards !

I've checked the meter consumption and is more than before and / or an daily usual house consumption.

Any ideea,is it possible that the meter is counting the electricity units that i'm giving free of charge to the grid and ...increase my counter / charges !??

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

Yes, but you should inform the ESB. Obviously you don't have an import/export meter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Thanks for reply.
    I did informed the ESB,my application for a smart meter has been aproved,just waiting for payment.
    However,as there are no FiT plans (Feed in Tarrif) i understood is no need for a meter replacement !!!

The backward spinner could be knocking units off you meter if it's the analogue one, effectively paying you consumer price for exported units.
    It upsets power companies and it's deemed tampering with the meter.

The problem is the old meters have no reverse current stop so exported units wind it backwards.

If it's the more modern type with a digital read out they can read export as import charging you (and your neighbour they sell it to) for the units your are giving away.

Some digital meters with the optical counters will just stall and hold zero when you are exporting.

You need an import/export meter by rights.

@Sir,

The meter is charging me more...i have more units "counted" on the counter than before the PVs.
    Im waiting for ESB to swap it.

Thanks.

OK..getting messy !

Applied with a NC6 form to ESB back in Februay 2016.
    They stated that the €340 should be paid to my current electricity supplier !!!
    Called my supplier...they never heard anything about it !

Sent an email to 'dsogenerators_at_esb.ie', received this reply:

Dear Customer,

Thank you for your email, due to unprecedented volumes of generator connection applications and queries currently being received and processed by the DSO, there may be a delay in responding directly to your query. Emails relating to contracted connections and generator applications received will be given priority over general enquiries. Below, please find some links that may be of assistance.

So,anyone knows who,where does what !? :)

397561.jpg

• Advertisement

rolion wrote: »
    @Sir,
    i have more units "counted" on the counter than before the PVs.

Is this because the PV is adding units or because your demand is higher than your generation?

Possibly you could current limit your inverter to better match your self-consumption.

I ordered a OWL monitoring system until Neurio comes up with the appliance based reporting.
    I'll wait and see then and there.

I received reply from ESB,they will "call me back"next week.

I ordered a OWL monitoring system until Neurio comes up with the appliance based reporting.
    I'll wait and see then and there.

I received reply from ESB,they will "call me back"next week.

You could just reconnect the PV turn off the house loads and see if the numbers on the meter are increasing or decreasing. Obviously while the sun is on the panel.

2011, RE: being charged for export. I've never seen it but I've heard it from enough sources to know its a thing. I imagine its the meter design is at "fault" mechanical disc with an optical or hall effect counter sortov thing.

Hi,

Called the company to check the meter and still no update.ESB will not deal directly with me but only trough the supplier that issue the bil.
    I have a video that shows the meter spins backwards...

I have received the letetr from ESB,as per attached,for your information:

398511.jpg

• Advertisement

I have installed "theOWL".
    As per attached screenshot ... it looks like im running a factory or a business OR is counting the generation as well !?

Anyone using the same or simillar setup,any ideea !?

398512.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭boarduser01

Hi Rolion, did you ever get a solution? I am having the same issue of disk turning backwards, I have not yet been able to check if the numbers are going backwards or not. I can't find any information on the meter installed to find out if it has a backstop on it, or not...

Hi Rolion, did you ever get a solution? I am having the same issue of disk turning backwards, I have not yet been able to check if the numbers are going backwards or not. I can't find any information on the meter installed to find out if it has a backstop on it, or not...

Hi,

Called ESB and they replaced the mechanical disk type meter with an electronic smart type.,FoC.
    It has dual meter (in and out) but no issues so far.

Hi,

Called ESB and they replaced the mechanical disk type meter with an electronic smart type.,FoC.
    It has dual meter (in and out) but no issues so far.

As below,this is the type of meter got installed:

413644.jpg

Advertisement