Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Protecting a steel frame

Options
  • 22-09-2016 11:22pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,530 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I have an Aravis Reybld 653 touring bike and looking for tips on how I could protect it. There's one or 2 small chips and a bit of wear on the chain stay.

I'm worried about rust however and need to up ny maintenance game which I am not very good at. Are there any things to be done to the frame to prevent rust?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

I cover chips with clear nail varnish. Not sure how much use that is, but I read it somewhere.

On the chain stay, you might have got a whack of the chain there a few times? To prevent further wear of the paint, you could put down a strip of electrical tape.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,530 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

tomasrojo wrote: »
    I cover chips with clear nail varnish. Not sure how much use that is, but I read it somewhere.

On the chain stay, you might have got a whack of the chain there a few times? To prevent further wear of the paint, you could put down a strip of electrical tape.

Cheers. I'll ask the GF if she has clear nail varnish. Yeah the chainstay is mostly from the chain hitting it. I'm it's second owner and it's about 10 years old, so I'd nearly expect that anyway. I've some chainstay protectors that are velcro that I keep meaning to put on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭saccades

I don't like those velcro chainstay protectors - get wet and stay wet for an age and I don't want water on a steel frame for an age.

Looking into frame savers/leading edge tape - it's an incredibly tough plastic film used as a sacrificial surface for things like helicopter blades etc.

Used a lot on mtb's these days, so you can tape up the frame where cables rub, under the downtube and the chainstay. Lasts an age.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

I use an old inner tube as a chainstay protector. It's held in place with two small zipties.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,530 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

07Lapierre wrote: »
    I use an old inner tube as a chainstay protector. It's held in place with two small zipties.

an ingenious solution. I've to remove a tube later on so will do just that. I was looking at getting 3M bike/heli tape which I've read is very good but it's pricey for what it is, though a lot of 3M stuff is.

I discovered that with the velcro protectors too recently on a very wet day. I thought it best it taken off. Might have applications when being stored however.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Old inner tubes are great for a lot of things:

1: chainstay protector
    2: cover a chain and use as a lock (with a padlock)
    3: use to keep handle bars straight when you bike is clamped into a work stand.
    4: use small pieces as emergency tyre boots.

That's just 4, but there are loads more.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

07Lapierre wrote: »
    Old inner tubes are great for a lot of things:

1: chainstay protector
    2: cover a chain and use as a lock (with a padlock)
    3: use to keep handle bars straight when you bike is clamped into a work stand.
    4: use small pieces as emergency tyre boots.

That's just 4, but there are loads more.

I cut tubes in short pieces and cover my CO2 cartridges with them, saves my fingers from cold burn.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Eamonnator wrote: »
    I cut tubes in short pieces and cover my CO2 cartridges with them, saves my fingers from cold burn.
    And I thought I was the only one to do that! (Also keeps them from rattling in saddle bag).

Advertisement