Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Racing Tubeless

Options
  • 22-09-2016 11:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭

Anybody raced tubeless this year ? If so what was the setup ?

Any info on punctures, does it reseal quick enough with enough pressure to finish out the race ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭harringtonp

Forget the racing part, anybody of all even ride tubeless ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Ive had tubeless tyres on my Mountain bikes for about ten years(I think).
    I've taken part in a few races( I hesitate to use the word raced) and covered a lot of miles off road.
    I can't remember ever been unable to finish a ride, because of a puncture.
    Once, during The Cooley Thriller, I heard air escaping from the back wheel. I stopped and put a finger on the hole for a few seconds. The sealant, that I used in the tyre caught hold and sealed the puncture. I used that tyre for several weeks afterwards without incident.
    I've never used tubeless on a road bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭koutoubia

Clubmate is riding tubeless. On Hutchinson tyres I think.
    Will ask him tomorrow how he gets on with him!

Thanks guys, trying to get a feel for whether they seal quickly enough with enough pressure retained to finish your ride. I suppose in most cases where this happens you may not be even aware of it, hence the years riding a mountain bike tubeless without punctures.

Suspect road may be a bit different given higher pressure requirements and more noticeable

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

Used tubeless road tyres on my cross bike this year, survived Paris Roubaix sportive without incident. Use them on my mountain bike too and have yet to find out what happens if puncture using sealant.

Would happily use them road racing if I had tubeless wheels on my road bike.

• Advertisement

nak wrote: »
    Used tubeless road tyres on my cross bike this year, survived Paris Roubaix sportive without incident. Use them on my mountain bike too and have yet to find out what happens if puncture using sealant.

Would happily use them road racing if I had tubeless wheels on my road bike.
    I would happily use them on my road bikes.
    You can use reduced pressure without fear of pinch punctures.

Spoke to him this morning.
    He couldnt be happier.
    He got one puncture up around Sally Gap (a long way form home) and the sealant sealed up without issue. He reckon's he lost 40 psi. Added a bit of air and zero problems since.
    Cant recall if he was using Stans sealant or something else.
    He noted though that they were a real to put on. I remember helping him and we needed to use a canister of co2 to get enough pressure to make a seal between the bead and the tyre.
    HTH

Seems like loads of wins for a road cyclist, I wonder why they have never taken off.

ronoc wrote: »
    Seems like loads of wins for a road cyclist, I wonder why they have never taken off.

Availability of tubeless tyres and cost seem to be inhibiting factors

• Advertisement

Yeah . How many brands are actually manufacturing tueless tyres and then 2 way rims availablity!

Hutchinson and Schwalbe seem to be leading the way in tubeless tyres.
    Fulcrum have their two way system, but at a price premium.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

Eamonnator wrote: »
    I would happily use them on my road bikes.
    You can use reduced pressure without fear of pinch punctures.

I usually run around 85 psi in 26mm road tyres with tubes without issue - use these for crit racing. 60-65 for tubeless 30mm road tyres on the cross bike. Pity the wheels aren't interchangeable on the two bikes.

koutoubia wrote: »
    Spoke to him this morning.
    He couldnt be happier.
    He got one puncture up around Sally Gap (a long way form home) and the sealant sealed up without issue. He reckon's he lost 40 psi. Added a bit of air and zero problems since.
    Cant recall if he was using Stans sealant or something else.
    He noted though that they were a real to put on. I remember helping him and we needed to use a canister of co2 to get enough pressure to make a seal between the bead and the tyre.
    HTH

A loss of 40 in a race or sportive where you often inflate to 120 would still see you finish without stopping. You usually won't get much more than 80 in tube replacement anyway.

From reading I've done there seems to be huge variability in how easy it is to inflate the tyre initially. Which probably means that for ordinary spins on tubeless it is worth carrying a tube in the event of it deflating.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭saccades

Hutchinson and Schwalbe seem to be leading the way in tubeless tyres.
    Fulcrum have their two way system, but at a price premium.

I run tubeless (mtb/road) - ace on the mtb with loads lower pressures, have raced (badly) and love the extra grip, mainly use UST but have 3 sets of tubeless ready that are great (12 hour night race with no bother).

Still messing on the road bike, using 29er tubeless ready rims (bit heavy, but I only do club spins/spotives), doesn't help that I'm not comfortable on drops yet compared to mtb bars and the kids bust the pressure gauge on the track pump. Lots of grip and a much smoother ride with the lower pressures - don't want to go too low and lose the tyre off the rim (not too bad on a mtb).

No punctures in 4.5K km.

Was talking to the Europe reps for verdestien (sp) their tubeless were due out this summer.

Do like the scwalbe 1

Great read, one of the clearest I've come across and assumes you know nothing about tubeless

Advertisement