Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Accidental Landlord

Options
  • 23-09-2016 9:10am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 47

So here I am guys - an Accidental Landlord. Who for the third time in a row has gotten screwed over by tenants.

1st lot of tenanst did €6,000.00 worth of damage - I had to completely gut the house and start again.

2nd lot actually wasn't too bad - but was just difficult to deal with in terms of access - would complain that items required repair but would take months to allow repair people access to actually repair - Odd !!! Very Odd!!

3rd one gave 3 days noticed and rode off into the sunset without paying her rent, left food in the presses, rubbish hidden around the garden "Hidden as in in bushes and under trees", used my Stove as an incinerator to burn her rubbish - plastic bottles, cans , everything went in there, and has ****ed up the seals on it - and basically its banjaxed will cost a couple of hundred to fix that!!!! Left **** she obviously didn't want behind like a broke old bed that I will have to pay to trash.

So basically I am getting out of this Landlord crap and selling the property.

But my question is why have tenants so little respect for property? That's what it boils down to respect - I just feel as if I have been very disrespected by these people. I responded swiftly to any of there issues with regards to repairs etc, they were allowed peaceful enjoyment of the property, I was even flexible with regards to late payments, but I just feel as if I have just been rode for the last year and now this last one is having a great laugh at my expense. :mad::mad::mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭tuisginideach

You have my sympathy but why be flexible with late payments? Your bank isn't flexible. Renting your house is a business, not a charity. If you give in at all, some tenants will walk all over you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭dashoonage

This is Ireland. You're a landlord. This is clearly all your fault.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Lucy21

You have my sympathy but why be flexible with late payments? Your bank isn't flexible. Renting your house is a business, not a charity. If you give in at all, some tenants will walk all over you.

And this last one was getting Rent Allowance paid weekly so she had no excuse to be late - I sent her last cheque back to Social Welfare informing them that she is no longer at the property and that she had not in fact been passing on the rent anyway. I wonder will she get a black mark on her account with them for that next time she goes looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,682 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

What kind of announced inspections were you doing on the property over the time it was rented out? It's a good idea to visit every 6 months or less to see if there's any issues. Some people though have no respect for other peoples property and never will.

dashoonage wrote: »
    This is Ireland. You're a landlord. This is clearly all your fault.

Of course - sure its the landlords fault that the tenant is dirty - I should of been going in on a daily basis providing them with a maid service too :D:D

• Advertisement

What kind of announced inspections were you doing on the property over the time it was rented out? It's a good idea to visit every 6 months or less to see if there's any issues. Some people though have no respect for other peoples property and never will.

I was going in every 6 months and all was fine but in the last few months she obviously decided she wasn't staying and let things go to the dogs. I am afraid that too many people have this lack of respect and have a sense of entitlement that they think it is there right to screw you over because you know obviously as all landlords are loaded !!! Seriously the reason I was not living in the property is because I could no longer afford to and renting it our helped pay the mortgage while I wait for someone to buy the property.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

Lucy21 wrote: »
    And this last one was getting Rent Allowance paid weekly so she had no excuse to be late - I sent her last cheque back to Social Welfare informing them that she is no longer at the property and that she had not in fact been passing on the rent anyway. I wonder will she get a black mark on her account with them for that next time she goes looking.

This is why, irrespective of the law, I never rent to RA tenants. The risk is too damn big and the law won't protect me, so I protect myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

So here I am guys - an Accidental Landlord. Who for the third time in a row has gotten screwed over by tenants.

1st lot of tenanst did €6,000.00 worth of damage - I had to completely gut the house and start again.

2nd lot actually wasn't too bad - but was just difficult to deal with in terms of access - would complain that items required repair but would take months to allow repair people access to actually repair - Odd !!! Very Odd!!

3rd one gave 3 days noticed and rode off into the sunset without paying her rent, left food in the presses, rubbish hidden around the garden "Hidden as in in bushes and under trees", used my Stove as an incinerator to burn her rubbish - plastic bottles, cans , everything went in there, and has ****ed up the seals on it - and basically its banjaxed will cost a couple of hundred to fix that!!!! Left **** she obviously didn't want behind like a broke old bed that I will have to pay to trash.

So basically I am getting out of this Landlord crap and selling the property.

But my question is why have tenants so little respect for property? That's what it boils down to respect - I just feel as if I have been very disrespected by these people. I responded swiftly to any of there issues with regards to repairs etc, they were allowed peaceful enjoyment of the property, I was even flexible with regards to late payments, but I just feel as if I have just been rode for the last year and now this last one is having a great laugh at my expense. :mad::mad::mad:

As a long term tenant, posts like this really piss me off, because you sound like a great landlord(landlady?) and now your getting out of the game because youve been messed around.

I'd love to ask though where are you getting these tenants from? Did you ask for references? Were they all employed? You mention one was receiving Rent Allowance, so not all had jobs. Can I also ask, where is the property located?

Uriel. wrote: »
    This is why, irrespective of the law, I never rent to RA tenants. The risk is too damn big and the law won't protect me, so I protect myself.

I would agree with you to never rent to RA tenants - and what really pisses me off is while I am out working hard 5 days a week to feed, clothe and house my self and my child (I am a Single Parent) my bloody hard earned taxes are been used to pay these people to sit about and disrespect my property. I feel double robbed.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭GeorgeOrwell

It is unfair to generalise about tenants based on your bad experience, just as it is unfair to generalise about landlords.

You sound as if you want out of the landlord business. If you're not enthusiastic about it, I suggest you do get out.

The alternative is to get a letting agent involved. They will vet the tenants, do repairs, check the property and make sure that if there are any problems, they get dealt with very quickly.

A lot of Irish landlords think that they need to be running the business. There's no need to do so. A good letting agent will take a % commission but will ensure you do not need to be so hands-on.

• Advertisement

syklops wrote: »
    As a long term tenant, posts like this really piss me off, because you sound like a great landlord(landlady?) and now your getting out of the game because youve been messed around.

I'd love to ask though where are you getting these tenants from? Did you ask for references? Were they all employed? You mention one was receiving Rent Allowance, so not all had jobs. Can I also ask, where is the property located?

All had been referenced checked thoroughly both by me and an Agent. This last lady came to me highly recommended was of impeccable good standing etc etc.

Unfortunately being disrespected pisses me off so I guess that's two of pissed off this morning.

It is unfair to generalise about tenants based on your bad experience, just as it is unfair to generalise about landlords.

You sound as if you want out of the landlord business. If you're not enthusiastic about it, I suggest you do get out.

The alternative is to get a letting agent involved. They will vet the tenants, do repairs, check the property and make sure that if there are any problems, they get dealt with very quickly.

A lot of Irish landlords think that they need to be running the business. There's no need to do so. A good letting agent will take a % commission but will ensure you do not need to be so hands-on.

I used a Letting Agent - unfortunately no matter how good your agent if your tenant is the type to disrespect your property when they know they will be leaving in the near future they will do so no matter what measures you take. Unless of course I go there every week and do the housework for them which is not what a landlord service is.

I was going in every 6 months and all was fine but in the last few months she obviously decided she wasn't staying and let things go to the dogs. I am afraid that too many people have this lack of respect and have a sense of entitlement that they think it is there right to screw you over because you know obviously as all landlords are loaded !!! Seriously the reason I was not living in the property is because I could no longer afford to and renting it our helped pay the mortgage while I wait for someone to buy the property.

This is the crazy property and social welfare situation at the moment. Theres you, working full time but you cant afford to live in the property and cover the mortgage, but someone unemployed can afford to live there with state aid. It beggars belief!

This is the crazy property and social welfare situation at the moment. Theres you, working full time but you cant afford to live in the property and cover the mortgage, but someone unemployed can afford to live there with state aid. It beggars belief!

It is seriously flawed. Those that have never worked and never will work are having there lifestyles paid for by those that work. Last Tenant had a decent car, child had a pony, all the latest gear, wanted for nothing.

Its a System and People know how to work it. I on the other end prefer to work and contribute to the economy and provide for myself and my child.

It is seriously flawed. Those that have never worked and never will work are having there lifestyles paid for by those that work. Last Tenant had a decent car, child had a pony, all the latest gear, wanted for nothing.

Its a System and People know how to work it. I on the other end prefer to work and contribute to the economy and provide for myself and my child.

Well youve learnt your lesson, no more RA tenants. In the current market, you (or your agent) shouldnt have difficulty finding a nice stable professional to rent it while you wait to sell it. What county/city is it located in?

Well youve learnt your lesson, no more RA tenants. In the current market, you (or your agent) shouldnt have difficulty finding a nice stable professional to rent it while you wait to sell it. What county/city is it located in?

I am done with Renting - I will pay the mortgage in full myself until it is sold which hopefully will be soon :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Lucy- I'm closing your thread- as I don't feel its appropriate to host it- as its already turning into a landlord versus tenant thread- which we expressly forbid in the charter governing the forum. I feel for you- and all the damage and costs you've encountered- however, its pretty much impossible to discuss this in a rational manner- without generalisations occuring- not to mention randomers coming in here just to get digs in.

So- my apologies- but thread closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement