Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Buying a car today. Any chance it could be used tomorrow(Saturday)?

• 23-09-2016 9:31am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭

My family are looking to get our hands on a vehicle today. The vehicle is not currently taxed according to the previous owner but does have NCT. I am just wondering, is there any chance at all that the vehicle could be used tomorrow? Considering that the tax may not be settled between tonight and tomorrow and insurance brokers may be closed during the weekend. I know it might be a stupid question and what I have in mind is that, legally I couldn't do this anyway, but I was just wondering if there is anything that I don't clearly know regarding allowances or something when purchasing a vehicle.

Thank you boardsies! :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

My family are looking to get our hands on a vehicle today. The vehicle is not currently taxed according to the previous owner but does have NCT. I am just wondering, is there any chance at all that the vehicle could be used tomorrow? Considering that the tax may not be settled between tonight and tomorrow and insurance brokers may be closed during the weekend. I know it might be a stupid question and what I have in mind is that, legally I couldn't do this anyway, but I was just wondering if there is anything that I don't clearly know regarding allowances or something when purchasing a vehicle.

Thank you boardsies! :)

If need to transfer the insurance today during business hours. Technically you need to display the disc, but if you explain the circumstances, you'd probably be asked to produce the certificate at the garda station in 10 days IIRC.

Tax online - pin is the last digist of the VIN number. Keep receipt. Technically you need to display the disc, see above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭LeakingLava

grogi wrote: »
    If need to transfer the insurance today during business hours. Technically you need to display the disc, but if you explain the circumstances, you'd probably be asked to produce the certificate at the garda station in 10 days IIRC.

Tax online - pin is the last digist of the VIN number. Keep receipt. Technically you need to display the disc, see above.

Thank you so much. Regarding tax, don't I need a transfer of name first before being able to tax it myself? I'm not entirely familiar with tax transfer procedures, I'm sorry.

Thank you so much. Regarding tax, don't I need a transfer of name first before being able to tax it myself? I'm not entirely familiar with tax transfer procedures, I'm sorry.

You are right - if there are arrears, those need to be satisfied first. And they are at the moment of sale. You'd need to wait...

Just make additional sale contract with the seller, sign it both, handle one copy to the seller and keep the other in case the Gardaí stop you. As said - although technically illegal, you should be able to talk yourself out of this situation.

Just be veeery polite.

You are right - if there are arrears, those need to be satisfied first. And they are at the moment of sale. You'd need to wait...

Just make additional sale contract with the seller, sign it both, handle one copy to the seller and keep the other in case the Gardaí stop you. As said - although technically illegal, you should be able to talk yourself out of this situation.

Just be veeery polite.

Do I have to pay the previous owner's arrears in motor tax?

Also, what details should I include in that additional sale contract for the both of us to sign?

Thank you so much for all your help. I really appreciate it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭B-D-P--

In the case there is no tax for several months, I'd wait untill the change of ownership otherwise you will be liable for missing months, In the case of a new owner, you have to tax from 1st day of purchased month.

In any case, have a photocopy of log book, if you get stopped, show them you just purchased and you will 99.9% be ok.
    You may have to produce in 10 days which would be no problem.

There is a €50 on spot fine for cars that are not taxed but no points, However if you do the above you will be grand.

• Advertisement

It seems like I would not be able to get it insured for use tomorrow. Which I'm okay with, but it brings me to another question, regrading bringing the car home after purchase(maybe tonight), I would obviously be in the same state, no insurance and no tax. Would it be a problem? Or would it be completely the Gardai's discretion?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 434 ✭✭All in all

It seems like I would not be able to get it insured for use tomorrow. Which I'm okay with, but it brings me to another question, regrading bringing the car home after purchase(maybe tonight), I would obviously be in the same state, no insurance and no tax. Would it be a problem? Or would it be completely the Gardai's discretion?

You should be able to arrange insurance today to start at a designated time tomorrow. Don't drive with no insurance, the NCT and tax you will be able to talk your way around.

All in all wrote: »
    You should be able to arrange insurance today to start at a designated time tomorrow. Don't drive with no insurance, the NCT and tax you will be able to talk your way around.

One problem is that the sale will be a private sale and I haven't checked out the vehicle previously so I am not absolutely 100% sure that the purchase will push through because anything sketchy about the vehicle and I'm sure that even our fellow boardsies would tell me to walk away. This is the reason why I'd like to have the car already prior to purchasing the insurance. Is there some sort of arrangement I could make with insurance companies regarding this situation?

Again, thank you all so much. I can't express how grateful I am for all your inputs.

Don't drive without insurance.

You can drive without the insurance disc, but driving without insurance is not only stupid, but it is severe offence...

You should be able to figure out the insurance though...

Don't drive without insurance.

You can drive with the insurance disc, but driving without insurance is not only stupid, but it is severe offence...

You should be able to figure out the insurance though...

I completely understand and I am willing to abide by the law and I am going to. I am just wondering what arrangement I could make with insurance companies, if any, regarding this situation. Could you advise me on this? Thank you so much.

• Advertisement

One problem is that the sale will be a private sale and I haven't checked out the vehicle previously so I am not absolutely 100% sure that the purchase will push through because anything sketchy about the vehicle and I'm sure that even our fellow boardsies would tell me to walk away. This is the reason why I'd like to have the car already prior to purchasing the insurance. Is there some sort of arrangement I could make with insurance companies regarding this situation?

Again, thank you all so much. I can't express how grateful I am for all your inputs.

It is possible that some cos. are open on Saturday, I think Chill is from past experience, but you will be limiting your options.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭10 Carrolls

All you need to do is tell the insurance company what time tomorrow to start your cover from, it's very common. Don't pay any tax until the car is in your name. You'll have no bother with the Gardai where tax and insurance disc aren't displayed on a car you've just bought, new cars don't have them for a week or so either.

I completely understand and I am willing to abide by the law and I am going to. I am just wondering what arrangement I could make with insurance companies, if any, regarding this situation. Could you advise me on this? Thank you so much.

Actually you should be able to arrange all online once you are satisfied that you are buying car, then you can get a print off. Do your research today so you know who is cheapest and save your quote for tomorrow, so it is easy to activate.

Actually you should be able to arrange all online once you are satisfied that you are buying car, then you can get a print off. Do your research today so you know who is cheapest and save your quote for tomorrow, so it is easy to activate.

The use tomorrow isn't really as important as bringing home the vehicle tonight so if I was to start a cover, I'd want it to start from tonight as that's what's necessary from what I gather from the posts so far.

It's just that, the purchase is not 100% yet, so what if I tell the insurers that I want it to start, then in the end I didn't push through with the sale? Is there some sort of cancellation I could do?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

The use tomorrow isn't really as important as bringing home the vehicle tonight so if I was to start a cover, I'd want it to start from tonight as that's what's necessary from what I gather from the posts so far.

It's just that, the purchase is not 100% yet, so what if I tell the insurers that I want it to start, then in the end I didn't push through with the sale? Is there some sort of cancellation I could do?

Might be best talking to the insurers.

Some will be nice and cover both cars for the few days so you can ring back Monday and cancel if you dont buy.

If you do online quotes must of them give you a reference when you save the quote. If you decide to buy the car, go online again and use this reference, pay and print off the details.

If you do online quotes must of them give you a reference when you save the quote. If you decide to buy the car, go online again and use this reference, pay and print off the details.

Good idea. May be able to do this even through my phone or something. This is the one option that I seem viable so far. Thank you so much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

Do I have to pay the previous owner's arrears in motor tax?

No.

The arrears are wiped out at point of sale.

When you receive the new log book and go to tax the car it will be from the date you took ownership..

As said above, Gardai are generally fine about not displaying a tax disc on a new car... Same with insurance disc..

You will need insurance though. It's a serious offence to drive without it..

Swanner wrote: »
    No.

The arrears are wiped out at point of sale.

When you receive the new log book and go to tax the car it will be from the date you took ownership..

As said above, Gardai are generally fine about not displaying a tax disc on a new car... Same with insurance disc..

You will need insurance though. It's a serious offence to drive without it..

Thank you so much. I am currently looking for insurance quotes online and I will be purchasing online if all goes well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 173 ✭✭swervring

Don't drive the car with no insurance - you can ring around and get quotes etc. today, and depending on what time tonight you buy the car, the insurance company phoneline may still be open and able to activate a policy for you immediately. I previously had a quote for a car, bought it about 7 on a Friday evening & called to accept the quote after buying the car. I know my insurer has its phone lines 8-8 during the week adn 10-2 on Saturdays, and this is a broker rather than one of the large insurance companies who may have longer operating hours.

Your other alternative, if its later tonight you're buying the car, is to leave the car where you purchased it and come back and collect on Saturday once insured.

Or buy online as suggested by others!

• Advertisement
Advertisement