Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mortal Combat arcade

Options
  • 23-09-2016 10:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭

I know some pubs have sf2 machines about, but are there any places that have Mortal Kombat arcade machine?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Just play SF2 or the SNK fighters. MK is kind of crap.

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Doesn't really matter if its crap. Alot of people have a special place in their heart for MK. I had fun with the game back in the arcades, even though I had no idea how to properly play it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

I have to say if I get an arcade machine it would have to be one of the following:

Mortal Kombat 1 or 2
    Street Fighter 2
    Killer Instinct

I sank so many hours into those machines as a kid.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Just play SF2 or the SNK fighters. MK is kind of crap.

As a CMod of the forum you should be less dismissive.
    Dave_White wrote: »
    I know some pubs have sf2 machines about, but are there any places that have Mortal Kombat arcade machine?

The last place I've seen an MK2 machine was in Minnesota a few years ago in a Green Mill Hotel. I'll keep an eye out but in 2016 you may have to settle for it on virtual console/making a cabinet yourself!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Azza wrote: »
    Doesn't really matter if its crap. Alot of people have a special place in their heart for MK. I had fun with the game back in the arcades, even though I had no idea how to properly play it.

I was never big in to fighting games in all my gaming career, but mortal kombat was always my favourite and street fighter least favourite.
    I just liked playing those against friends and now playing against friends when drunk.
    Then it's tekken when we got no MK. Street fighter is always pushed as best fighter game, but it never caught on in my circles. I guess we just like having fun and mash buttons and not complicated combos. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

jaykhunter wrote: »
    As a CMod of the forum you should be less dismissive.

As a CMod of the forum I'm entitled to an opinion.

I loved Mortal Kombat myself when I was younger but it was more because of the 'oh naughty, gore!' factor. Going back to them they are a bit crap.

MK1 is just a terrible fighting game. MK2 was ok but was way behind contemporaries at the time, Samurai Showdown came out within a few days of it.

MK3 I just didn't like at all. Dial-a-combos replacing the simple and fun juggle combos of MK2 was them chasing Tekken badly. It felt archaic at the time.

After that it was all bad up until MK9 where I ate my words. I said it would be terrible compared to SF4 but it turned out to be a damn fine game.

Anyway do yourself a favour and play something better.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Dave_White

me: hey, where can I find game A?
    mr unsolicited opinion man : actually it sucks, you should play game B instead.

vnJg4z.gif

But thanks everybody else.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I recall Mortal Kombat appearing in the arcades, and the younger players getting all excited at the game, with the onscreen violence being the big draws.
    Sadly, the special moves and finishing moves in particular are just memory games, a random set of stick pushes and button presses to generate the right piece of cheese for the arcade playing mouse.
    Street Fighter II was always a better game, it's moves more natural and in keeping with the characters repertoire.

I haven't seen a machine of it anywhere in years, outside of the hands of private collectors, we have one in the Arcade and Retro forum, he owns a MK cabinet in it's original glory.

The last MK title I had any fun with was UMK3 on the Playstation, but that was quickly undermined by The Last Blade, which remains awesome

• Registered Users Posts: 19,629 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Wait a bleedin minute, what pubs have SFII??

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Dave_White

Gypsy Rose and Garage used to have them. Haven't been there in a while tho.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,954 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Not sure where you're based, but around Dublin, there's little but MAME cabinets with pretty much every game that ever had a moment. Among the ones I recall, the Thomas House, Cassidy's and The Blackbird had one a while ago. The latter of which, I think, was an original SF2 Champion Edition cabinet converted in a MAME thingy. Not sure which ones are still where, but, anyways, yeah, if you're not fussy about playing on legit cabs, then I'm sure any one of those MAME cabs will be running Mortal Kombat.

The RAGE on Fade Street also listed a vacancy for an arcade maintenance position back in January, with much semi-credible speculation abounding that they are to open a sort of Barcade shindig in Dublin. If it comes to fruition, it's probably a safe bet some kinda MK will pop up in there.

Advertisement