Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shared car/NCB/named driver etc

• 23-09-2016 11:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

Hi,

Recently me and my wife bought a new car. We traded 2 cars and now have 1 between us. We kept my wife's insurance and put me as a named driver. We both have 7 years plus NCB.

The Insurance is up for renewal in a couple of weeks. Whats the best thing to do? Keep her as main driver, me as named driver?
    What would happen if I decide to get a car for myself in a few years and I've been a named driver for a couple of years? Would my NCB still count?

Whats the cheapest and best option does anyone know?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Hi,

Recently me and my wife bought a new car. We traded 2 cars and now have 1 between us. We kept my wife's insurance and put me as a named driver. We both have 7 years plus NCB.

The Insurance is up for renewal in a couple of weeks. Whats the best thing to do? Keep her as main driver, me as named driver?
    What would happen if I decide to get a car for myself in a few years and I've been a named driver for a couple of years? Would my NCB still count?

Whats the cheapest and best option does anyone know?

Thanks

Keep for this renewal, at next switch the proposer.

The NCD expires after two years, so that way you can keep it fresh....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,896 ✭✭✭daheff

i'd suggest alternating as named driver every other year. Otherwise one of you will lose your no claims bonus after 2 years or so.

Now, it mightnt matter if you dont plan on having another car in the future, and most insurers would probably give you some credit for being a named driver (half a year for every year of being named driver in my experience).

Dammit -Grogi just beat me to it! :)

Advertisement