Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lamb finisher

• 23-09-2016 12:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭

what if anything are lads feeding to get the lambs out the gate. Supplementing with some maze finisher here, but it ain't cheap at around €300 a tonne. Was thinking about switching ewe lambs to ewe and lamb nuts at 18 %, which would be cheaper. Would this have same effect ? Or what other ration could I consider ? Their all on good grass at the moment

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

what if anything are lads feeding to get the lambs out the gate. Supplementing with some maze finisher here, but it ain't cheap at around €300 a tonne. Was thinking about switching ewe lambs to ewe and lamb nuts at 18 %, which would be cheaper. Would this have same effect ? Or what other ration could I consider ? Their all on good grass at the moment

Maize finisher sounds as good as it gets. The ewe and lamb is too high in protein and in reality how much cheaper is it relative to what each lamb will eat.
    Say it's €280 a tonne so €20 less. Let's say each lamb will eat 25kg before being finished that's 50c a head. Now suppose the performance is slightly lower the 50c is only going to get you less than 2kg more ration and your lambs there a couple of days longer. Beyond that you'd be losing money.
    Once you move away from the finishing ration I suppose straights are the next option but maybe someone else can advise on those as it's easy to sickensheep with barley, not so sure about maize, oats are safer but probably not good enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,382 ✭✭✭Robson99

Working 2/3 rolled barley 1/3 finishing nut here. Barley at €175 tonne. Finishing nut at €300 tonne. Barley best value feed there is IMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

Robson99 wrote: »
    Working 2/3 rolled barley 1/3 finishing nut here. Barley at €175 tonne. Finishing nut at €300 tonne. Barley best value feed there is IMO

Might give something like that a go. Hard to justify the finishing nut at today's lamb kg price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭rangler1

Might give something like that a go. Hard to justify the finishing nut at today's lamb kg price.

Bought a 3 in 1 feeder this evening on the ploughing site so I'm going to try feeding 400grs on good grass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭razor8

Seen it at balmoral and the ploughing and have to say I'm very tempted. Do you know anyone with one and how they are getting on?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭sea12

rangler1 wrote: »
    Bought a 3 in 1 feeder this evening on the ploughing site so I'm going to try feeding 400grs on good grass.

Have u a pic. Didn't see them at the ploughing

razor8 wrote: »
    Seen it at balmoral and the ploughing and have to say I'm very tempted. Do you know anyone with one and how they are getting on?

Bought one of the cheaper ones, an 8ft, €1107, at least if it doesn't work, i can use it as an ad lib feeder

http://www.3in1feeders.co.uk/downloads/3IN1_500.pdf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

I seen that but I thought a ewe would be able to eat out of it nearly?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Did you try out the feeder yet?

rangler1 wrote:

orm0nd wrote: »
    Did you try out the feeder yet?

Started on sunday and they're eating about 400grs/ day at the moment........but then so are the other bunch of lambs that started on ordinary creep feeders on monday, so it's early yet to judge.
    Wool buyer was here on monday, he's just started his lambs on whole barley in a 3 in 1 feeder.....it'd be cheap ration if it works, all lambs really need is energy

• Advertisement

The year has flown around and back to feeding lambs again, how are lads getting on with lambs out the gate this year ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Have only 5 left. Around 42 kgs. Dont know how the blacks came about but i dont like them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

Have only 5 left. Around 42 kgs. Dont know how the blacks came about but i dont like them

Your obviously 1 of those people who don't like the black ones but some people do.

Are they rams or ewes. If they're ewes you might just get a customer to give you a bit extra if you stick them on done deal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭sea12

Your obviously 1 of those people who don't like the black ones but some people do.

Are they rams or ewes. If they're ewes you might just get a customer to give you a bit extra if you stick them on done deal.

Don't think they are really suitable for breeding. A bit of meal and they will be kill out in s few weeks. Give them a good worm dose and cobalt aswell. If they haven't being on meal yet they will thrive very well for the first 6 weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60 ✭✭daviddenis

I have 80 ewe lambs. Ranging from 28kg to 42kg.

I have 2 ton of barley. Was thinking of feeding it sound.

Would you try finish them or sell them as stores.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

daviddenis wrote: »
    I have 80 ewe lambs. Ranging from 28kg to 42kg.

I have 2 ton of barley. Was thinking of feeding it sound.

Would you try finish them or sell them as stores.

Big range in weights so there'll be a big difference in what's needed to finish them.

What kinda breeding is in them? If they're fairly maternal there'll be harder to finish again compared to Charollais, Suffolk, Texel.

For what it's worth, we sold Llyen wethers (average 36kg) as stores back in July for €79. It was the best move we ever made - less hassle and work around the place plus we probably wouldn't have made any more if we tried to finish them given the meal we'd have had to give them.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

Ah there mixed breed. Few scotches in them. Starting feeding them barely at lib. Last week. Seem to be doin well. Price has picked up also. Hope another 3 weeks and git rid of few.
    Big range in weights so there'll be a big difference in what's needed to finish them.

What kinda breeding is in them? If they're fairly maternal there'll be harder to finish again compared to Charollais, Suffolk, Texel.

For what it's worth, we sold Llyen wethers (average 36kg) as stores back in July for €79. It was the best move we ever made - less hassle and work around the place plus we probably wouldn't have made any more if we tried to finish them given the meal we'd have had to give them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭IH784man

I'd pick anything from 38kg up for finishing,anything lighter sell as stores

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭roosky

I see lads saying lambs only do a good thrive fro first 6 weeks of meal......i have ram lambs out and getting meal for last 6 weeks now in shed will they stop performing as they are so long on meal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

roosky wrote: »
    I see lads saying lambs only do a good thrive fro first 6 weeks of meal......i have ram lambs out and getting meal for last 6 weeks now in shed will they stop performing as they are so long on meal

Keep em dosed and vitamined I guess.....

I wonder is there value to be got,if there close enough to finishing them,by moving to higher protein nuts,but your potentially gambling healthwise

as I'm not sure how long they can be fed high protein without running into issues...but maybe enough to get over the line??

• Advertisement

I wonder is there value to be got,if there close enough to finishing them,by moving to higher protein nuts,but your potentially gambling healthwise

?

I'm wondering the opposite, feeding a high protein nut here at €296 a tonne, but their growing too much bone and not enough flesh. Going to swap over to a lower protein cheaper product from another supplier. Some mills just don't understand what's economically viable to feed lambs.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Westernrock

I'm wondering the opposite, feeding a high protein nut here at €296 a tonne, but their growing too much bone and not enough flesh. Going to swap over to a lower protein cheaper product from another supplier. Some mills just don't understand what's economically viable to feed lambs.

+1 I'd be thinking along the lines of lower protein higher energy to flesh them up

Looking into feeding a type ration with whole Barley. What comapny and ration would ye recommend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

daviddenis wrote: »
    Looking into feeding a type ration with whole Barley. What comapny and ration would ye recommend.

Where in the country are ya?

ganmo wrote: »
    Where in the country are ya?

Kerry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,655 ✭✭✭148multi

as I'm not sure how long they can be fed high protein without running into issues...but maybe enough to get over the line??
    Protein for growing, energy for fatting.

Advertisement