Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amanda Coker

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Looking at her recent Strava activity she seems to be going round in flat circles every day.

On yeah, the article says:

"The 24-year-old has been clocking up a consistent average of 230 miles per day riding laps of a flat loop in Flatwoods, near Tampa, Florida"

That must be incredibly boring.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,530 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Chapeau indeed, but also yeah very boring and a little pointless to be honest. Thought the same about the American guy too and a lot of Steven Abraham's cycling, though he did at least venture away from Milton Keynes a fair bit and deal with some pretty crap weather and being knocked down.

At the least it had me reading about the original record holder, who would put my cycling exploits to great shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

She is regularly accompanied by others so I presume that would relieve the boredom a bit.

Lumen wrote: »
    .. of a flat loop....
    Only 215m climbing in a 464k ride - you won't get much flatter than that!

https://www.strava.com/activities/600041476

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

And should i mention that lots of it have been apparently on a recumbent. Still very very impressive but i think they should be banned from any attempt.
    Steven Abraham is try to break the month record. Completely different terrain and weather
    https://www.strava.com/athletes/1419435

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Only 215m climbing in a 464k ride - you won't get much flatter than that!

https://www.strava.com/activities/600041476

Dunno, I had an ex that managed it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

I'm a teeny bit wary of some of these distance attempts/records. Interesting to note that drafting and use of recumbent bicycles is perfectly legal under Ultra Cycling Marathon rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Ultra-anything people are weird. The running people who do 500 mile marathons equally seem to etch out a dull existence constantly running laps of the same course. Each to their own, but fncking hell.

I guess if you're going to break a distance record, then a flat loop is the easiest way to guarantee consistency and reliability.

seamus wrote: »
    ...I guess if you're going to break a distance record, then a flat loop is the easiest way to guarantee consistency and reliability.
    I also imagine that it's much easier for support staff as they don't have to 'travel' as such to do a wheel replacement, mechanical repair, replace bike, food etc. Being able to choose a good rolling surface, easy traffic conditions, right only turns (i.e.in USA) would also keep average speeds up.

In saying that, I think Tommy Godwin rode all over the UK in his attempt in the 1930's (and he slept 'rough' for much of the time).

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Everesting, by constrast, forces you to ride up and down the same hill. Laps are banned. You'd want to read the rules before doing one.

• Advertisement
Advertisement