Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fed up with BOI, changing banks advice

• 23-09-2016 12:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭

Hi all,

After having yet another "discussion" with a BOI rep I'm fed up with their service, can't set up my wife on my account at all, they won't open out of 10-4pm mon-friday except in random locations (southside of Dublin...shockingly) and have started charging me huge fees. This an the other 100's of problems I've had with them for years. Been a customer for approximately 18 years and just sick to death of them and their excuses time after time for appalling service etc. Anyway, rant over, so I'm trying to get a new account, a joint account with my wife and looking for some advice on who to go with?

What we're looking for is pretty standard, low/no fees, debit cards for both of us, online banking, reasonable customer service when needed and hopefully outside of 10-4 monday - friday opening (something that actually is useful and doesn't require a day off work) and any extras would be a huge incentive/bonus.

Any advice would be great and we will be looking to change this weekend I think.

Comments

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,921 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

PTSB open til 5 in my local branch, not sure about weekends. Their Internet banking is good and any experiences I've had with their customer service were very positive. I get free banking once I lodge €1500 per month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,461 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

+1 with PTSB. I'm with them and have never had any issues. My parents never had any difficulty setting up joint accounts with them either, in fact, PTSB is the only bank that they have ever dealt with Afaik.

Seem to have genuinely nice and helpful staff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

If I move back to Ireland, I'm looking to signing up with https://n26.com/

There's a good chance I'll move from BoI to n26 anyway, for better service and fewer (or at least more transparent) fees.

Ulster Bank - open til 1 on Saturdays

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 348 ✭✭SarahS2013

KBC are totally free once there's 2500+ lodged to the account every month and also offer bonus interest on regular svings etc with this "Extra" current account.
    I moved from AIB because of their obnoxious quarterly charges. Having said that, KBC's customer service isn't great but their KBC hubs provide great opening hours including weekends.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭JTMan

PTSB charge fees, for new customers, which are difficult to avoid unless you use your debit card a lot.

N26 do not allow new account openings.

KBC allow current account openings via their app without having to go into their branches. KBC give free day-to-day banking provided you deposit at least 2.5k per month.

EBS also offer free banking subject to some light terms but do not have a great online / app offering.

KBC might be your best option.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,825 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

JTMan wrote: »
    PTSB charge fees, for new customers, which are difficult to avoid unless you use your debit card a lot.

N26 do not allow new account openings.

KBC allow current account openings via their app without having to go into their branches. KBC give free day-to-day banking provided you deposit at least 2.5k per month.

EBS also offer free banking subject to some light terms but do not have a great online / app offering.

KBC might be your best option.

If access to physical branches is important to you, EBS branches are open until 5pm weekdays and on Saturdays until 1pm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭JTMan

Quackster wrote: »
    If access to physical branches is important to you, EBS branches are open until 5pm weekdays and on Saturdays until 1pm.

EBS used to be open on Saturdays. The majority of EBS branches are not open on Saturdays.

KBC branches are open on Saturdays and open 8 AM to 6 PM (7 PM on Thursdays).

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,825 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

JTMan wrote: »
    EBS used to be open on Saturdays. The majority of EBS branches are not open on Saturdays.

KBC branches are open on Saturdays and open 8 AM to 6 PM (7 PM on Thursdays).

That's a pity. My local EBS is open Saturday mornings, which is great on the rare occasion I need to pop in.

Unfortunately, KBC branches are as rare as hens' teeth so only handy for the minority who are not too far from one.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭TorresDaLegend

PTSB are open late Thursdays 8pm & Saturdays 10-2pm in certain branches for appts..

70 Grafton Street, Dublin 2
    Main Street, Dundrum, Dublin 14
    The Red Mall, Blanchardstown New Town Centre, Dublin 15
    Liffey Valley Shopping Centre, Quarryvale, Dublin 22
    Main Street, Tibradden, Malahide, Co Dublin
    33 Main Street, Swords, Co Dublin

• Advertisement
Advertisement