Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No work experience getting job

Options
  • 23-09-2016 1:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Hi

Any advice would be grateful please..

I have no work experience & i would like to look for bar/shop/waitress jobs.

I do voluntry work in a hospice shop once a week so that's my only experience.

I did ask in my local Social welfare office if i can apply for an internship but there's nothing around town.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

Go to your employer of choice- a local bar maybe. Explain that you have little experience but are interested in working for them. Offer to do a few shifts for free. If you work hard and are enthusiastic you might be lucky and get offered paid work. If not, you will have gained some experience and contacts and be in a much better position to apply elsewhere. Also, talk to all your friends who may be able to put in a good word for you with their employer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭wandererz

What the previous poster has said.

In addition, do emphasize that you already have customer service experience due to your voluntary work.

Offer to perhaps even do one or two weeks or 5 or 10 days(a couple of hours per day) in order to get the hang of things and to prove that you can do the job.
    They can then decide what they want to do: either pay you for that time, not pay you.
    But perhaps you get to keep the tips.

Either way, you get the experience and know what to do next.

Additionally, get a few comments from people you work with and/or custmers and include them on your CV.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Lauren7

Ok so i should just walk in to these places & ask behind the counter. It's embarassing but i'll get over it. Should i just have my CV or a cover letter as well? Not much to say in the cover letter to be honest :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

Lauren7 wrote: »
    Ok so i should just walk in to these places & ask behind the counter. It's embarassing but i'll get over it. Should i just have my CV or a cover letter as well? Not much to say in the cover letter to be honest :)

Asking the guy/gal behind the counter may not always be the best idea if they are just workers there.

You'd basically be saying, 'yeah I'm available to work some free shifts that you might be getting, can you pass on my CV to the owner?'

Try and meet the owner.

Good luck.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 163 ✭✭hannible the cannible

You need to meet the boss , if nothing else it makes it harder for them to say no to free shifts than if they just get a message passed on from a member of staff , and it will also personalise you to them

• Advertisement

How about a phoning the owner? I'm also looking for cleaner/kitchen porter jobs anything really?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭OhHiMark

wandererz wrote: »
    What the previous poster has said.

In addition, do emphasize that you already have customer service experience due to your voluntary work.

Offer to perhaps even do one or two weeks or 5 or 10 days(a couple of hours per day) in order to get the hang of things and to prove that you can do the job.
    They can then decide what they want to do: either pay you for that time, not pay you.
    But perhaps you get to keep the tips.

Either way, you get the experience and know what to do next.

Additionally, get a few comments from people you work with and/or custmers and include them on your CV.

What tips?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

Lauren7 wrote: »
    How about a phoning the owner? I'm also looking for cleaner/kitchen porter jobs anything really?

No-too easy for the owner to say no. Dress up smart (no jeans or trainers) - print off copies of CV and go in personally. No need for a cover letter as you will be doing that bit verbally. Say you have experience in the charity shop but you would like more experience in bar/restaurant/shop that you are standing in. Don't be nervous- I used to manage shops and we had lots of people doing the same.

''Don't be nervous- I used to manage shops and we had lots of people doing the same.''

Did it work for them?

I just feel a bit stupid asking to see the owner in case he/she is busy & will just be annoyed. I need to be more confident.

I'm probably not ready to walk into somewhere REALLY busy but i need to get some experience. Everyone has to start somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Adnan44

It's nerve racking Lauren7 but it has to be done. I plan on doing the same. Should a cv be handed in in a folder or am i just overthinking things, does it matter?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Adnan44 wrote: »
    It's nerve racking Lauren7 but it has to be done. I plan on doing the same. Should a cv be handed in in a folder or am i just overthinking things, does it matter?

No don't put cvs in fancy folders, it's only 16 yr olds that do that and it's annoying.
    CV in a plain envelope with "CV-Name" on the front.

Advertisement