Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Citroen C5 v Peugeot 508

• 23-09-2016 2:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭

Are these essentially the same car, or is there a different engine in them?

Im after a good sized saloon / estate for around the €10k mark - petrol if at all possible but looking unlikely - and these seem to be the most likely candidates in terms of supply. I've had recommendations for an Octavia, but I just don't like them (no offense to the Skoda fans here).

When I put all my ideal search criteria into car websites / donedeal, a few 5 series come up. I had a BMW before and it broke my heart, it was in the garage every 3 months and expensive every time. Is regular trips to the mechanic a necessary evil for a BMWs of a certain age, or can they be trouble free in the price range Im spending?

Ive got an 03 A4 at the moment and would upgrade one of those too if I find a petrol automatic one, but again they seem scarce.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The C5 and 508 are basically the same car, however the C5 was launched back in 2008 whereas the 508 was launched in 2011. Both share many components including engines. However it is very unlikely you will find many if any petrol models in Ireland as nobody bought them. In fact you will be hard pressed to find anything petrol in that size car in Ireland after 2008.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

For sale, my 2010 C5 1.6 HDI, 115,000km, NCT 7/18, New clutch & flywheel, recent Uniroyal tyres. 55mpg. PM for more info.

I'm driving a C5 the last year and I love it.

I do also like the 508, that said. I like the layout of the C5 interior more than the 508, but if you're regularly drinking in the car or have someone with you, the 508 has 2 decent cup holders, whereas the C5 has one poorly placed one (inside the centre arm rest, which is shoddy design).

I know that's a small thing but can be one of the things to make or break the day to day life of the car.

Personally speaking, I think the C5 estate looks a lot better than the 508 estate. I also think the 508 saloon looks better than the C5 saloon.

For me it was a case of falling in love with the dashboard on the C5 (mine has the sat nav screen built in). I think the layout and all the buttons are great.

Mine is the 1.6 deisel. I couldn't find a 2ltr for love nor money, but given the choice, based on having had a Peugeot 407 in 2ltr in the past (I think they share the same engine) i'd opt for a 2ltr over the 1.6 for the extra bit of power.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 friarpat

I've an 07 C% 2.0l petrol hatchback with just over 80K kilometres. Just drove it to Spain and back this summer without a bother. averaged 8l/100km. Comfortable, smooth but if you want it I'll talk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

I'm hoping to go over to the UK before Halloween and bring over a C5

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51 ✭✭happycoach

Peugeot

Yes the 508 is a Peugeot, thanks for confirming.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

Thanks all for the feedback. Thinking of taking a look at this at the weekend. I'd prefer a petrol and or the higher powered engine, but they seem to scarce.

http://www.billgriffinmotors.ie/viewanad.php?ad_id=1582291&r=

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Thanks all for the feedback. Thinking of taking a look at this at the weekend. I'd prefer a petrol and or the higher powered engine, but they seem to scarce.

http://www.billgriffinmotors.ie/viewanad.php?ad_id=1582291&r=

That looks to be the truly awful, automated clutchless manual. Rather than an automatic gearbox, it's actually a manual and a French computer decides when it should change gear. It doesn't do that very well, but the good news is that there isn't enough power in that engine to give you whiplash.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

R.O.R wrote: »
    That looks to be the truly awful, automated clutchless manual. Rather than an automatic gearbox, it's actually a manual and a French computer decides when it should change gear. It doesn't do that very well, but the good news is that there isn't enough power in that engine to give you whiplash.

:D Maybe not then... how can you tell that from the ad?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

I'm not totally sure, as they did replace the automated manual with a proper auto box a few years ago, but the centre button just behind the gearstick looks like the shift pattern of the silly box. That and the Flappy Paddles make me think it's the awful "auto".

Shame about that - not such a bad car apart from that. Nav isn't the most intuative, but seats are fairly comfy and the engine actually has a decent bit of go in it.

Did Drogheda - Dublin - Cork - Dublin one day in a 508 SW 1.6Hdi and I think i only went numb around Naas on the way back. Held it's own at the sort of motorway speeds one does when one's late for a meeting with their biggest customer....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

R.O.R wrote: »

It is actually easy to spot once you're inside the car.

If the box has PRNDM positions, it is proper automatic.
    If the box has RNAM positions, it is automated manual.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

1.6HDI is paired with Aisin only from late 2015, EGT6 before that.
    2.0HDI was paired with Aisin before that, but you can find the crap EGT6/EGS6 with that engine as well.

That 508 in the ad has automated manual - as said before, it has RNAM modes, not PRNDM...

Is importing an option?

2013 508:
    http://www.usedcarsni.com/2013-Peugeot-508-2-0-BlueHDi-150-Allure-Import-168652459

Your talking around €12.5k including VRT registered down here.

Advertisement