Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has anybody used a foreign pay as you go sim while on holiday?

Options
  • 23-09-2016 3:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭

Hi

Was thinking are there any good deals worthwhile on PAYG in the Canary Islands, and is it a good alternative to roaming calls + data?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭RoYoBo

kingaaa wrote: »
    Hi

Was thinking are there any good deals worthwhile on PAYG in the Canary Islands, and is it a good alternative to roaming calls + data?

I bought an Orange sim in a mobile shop in mainland Spain earlier this year - it worked well and I was happy with the price and the connection. There are a number of different plans available, so you'd need to suss it out well before you go (orange.es) with the help of Google to translate. I used cash - think it was something around €10 for 2gbs for 30 days - just to make sure I wasn't being lured into a rolling contract with my credit card. Call me paranoid ... :o

One thing to be aware of is that you must produce your passport to buy a sim if you're not actually a Spanish resident. They just take a photocopy and give it back to you. The sim included local calls and texts, but I didn't use them much. I'm looking at other options for future visits - there's 3 UK data sim mentioned on Bargain Alerts that you might find useful, but it's out of stock at the moment.

Advertisement