Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mark Fielding leaving ISME

Options
  • 23-09-2016 4:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭

Just got an email from ISME confirming Mark Fielding is to leave his role as CEO after 15 years.

Is this an opportunity for ISME to get an injection of new leadership or does it signal the end of the organisation?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭mrawkward

15 years, long overdue! Fresh views, very different ecosystem now. I do know of what I speak.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭54and56

Didn't hear anything about his impending retirement on the airwaves today. Thought it would have gotten a few mentions but maybe I wasn't paying too much attention as it is the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭mrawkward

He did a decent job and moved it on to the next level. Now it needs to move on again to stay relevant and keep a bit of freshness!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Seven years is probably the top end of the period of maximum effectiveness for most people in what should be a very stressful job. (1.Entry/settling in/gaining control/setting direction; 2. Consolidation, setting ‘style’/ developing new alliances/growing business 3. Decline / Growing complacency/rigidity/EGO/ fear of change/risk aversion or simply eye-off-ball preparing to leave and move on.

For expatriate managers the period is shorter. Expatriation of senior managers/fast-track managers (in the better companies) is for three years fixed with the employer's option to extend for one year; or, if both parties agree, for a further 2.

A long-term CEO is a block, an obstacle to the progression of the better people down the line. Those ‘junior’ , those that are good /ambitious see this so they move on and the business looses out.

I don't know Mr Fielding, never belonged to ISME (or SFA) so I've no axe, just know /experienced what is good practice.

Advertisement