Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pre 63s

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

L1011 wrote: »
    Because its a sensationalist rag. Its more of a stretch to assume its entirely true than not!

"habitable area" is not given a specific interpretation in the SI. My interpretation is that it means not outdoors.

Take it from someone that gets the call from the EHO (Enviromental Health Officer), the toilet needs to be within the individual flat/apartment.

I.e. You cannot walk outside your unit and into an area that other people have access to in order to use a toilet, have a shower etc
    riclad wrote: »
    Old Type bedsits don.t exist.
    each tenant must have a bathroom.
    Landlords have a choice convert the building or sell it .
    I Know people who lived in bedsits for 10 years ,and were very happy.
    This rule does not apply to the rent a room scheme .
    i think the rules for pre 63,s are different ,re fire safety .

Pre 63 fire safety rules at no different. There's a misconception that if you don't make a greater risk, or contravention that you don't need to comply, but you do. Bedsits as they were didn't need a fire cert but the moment the housing standards rules came in, the works required to meet these rules were deemed material alterations, which brings them into the requirement for a fire cert. so in effect, these housing standards were doubling up, and by in reducing these, but a side effect the buildings have to be brought up to current standards with regards to fire safety (part b of the building regulation).

Bedsits are not illegal if they have their own internal bathroom.

Then they're studio apartments.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

A bedsit was a flat ,one room ,with a bed, freezer, cooker .
    Now every tenant must have a bathroom.
    so bedsits do not exist anymore .
    Landlords have converted , or else sold the house.
    or got out of the rental market.
    So if a landlord pays 10k to put in a new bathroom ,
    he, ll have to raise the rent .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

Then they're studio apartments.

An apartment is a dwelling in a purpose built building. A bedsitter is not such a unit, despite attempts to market them as such.

Advertisement