Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on challenging value from assessor following scrapping of car

• 23-09-2016 6:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭

I was in an accident and my car is written off. Other party accepted full liability (He was driving on wriong side of road - lucky me)

Assessor for other drivers insurance company was on and was talking about making an offer : made me an offer - and was saying that e would typically use values in Done deal and made an offer to me based on that data. I also looked at Autotrader for Private deals and even after allowing for mileage differences the prices there seem higher. If I counter offer and he doesnt accept what happens next ? - do I have to proceed the legal route against the other party's insurance company ? Difference between us is about 800 and it may not be worth it . (ps His Ins Co is getting off light as I only have ligament damage to ankle and would not be one to claim pain and suffering etc - just want medical bills covered and I am not looking for anyting else :also have not asked for temporary car etc BUT do want proper restitution for value of car ).

Have never done this before and would appreciate any advice or a pointer towards any site that can give me advice.
    Thank You

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Contact and get replacement car for the few weeks.

Contact assessor say it's not enough as you won't get exact same car at that price print off some examples and see how you get on.

If you have to get a Solicitor.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Kinsailor

Thank you Punisher

Was thinking of getting Ins Company to put pressure on assessor by saying that if I am not satisfied with the offer I will look for restitution for the difference by looking for Special Damages at the PIAB for compensation for shortfall in vehicle replacement cost . ( I am not someone who would consider going there for pain and suffering - its just not my nature)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

If you are injured, put in a claim for it rather than using it as a negotiating tool. If you wish to challenge the valuation, you need to get an assessor of your own to establish the true value.

Generally, the quoted figures on Done Deal, Buy & Sell, Carzone etc are not true market value. They are considered 'opening bids', as it is known the seller will part for less, which makes that figure the market value

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Should have mentioned you can easily get on market selling price on the ros.ie site enter in all correct details like you were importing from UK and will give a price.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,744 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Should have mentioned you can easily get on market selling price on the ros.ie site enter in all correct details like you were importing from UK and will give a price.

It's not very accurate either.

• Advertisement
Advertisement