Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Light fitting went up in smoke after fitting varilight

Options
  • 23-09-2016 7:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭

There's a 4 halogen light fitting in the conservatory here which was on a normal dimmer switch. It was working fine until I hit the switch with a length of skirting and broke the knob/shaft a few weeks ago. I found an old varilight dimmer switch that I had and switched it with the old dimmer today. It worked fine so I left it off (possibly on really really low) and went into the next room. 20 mins later the missus calls me saying there's a burning smell. The switch was fine but the metal light fitting is red hot and appears to have blackened the white conservatory a bit, I'm currently waiting for it to cool down to investigate further.

I can't see what could have happened here so open to input. I'll post again once I get the fitting down.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I would guess wrong dimmer switch used or lamps are not designed to be dimmed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

I would guess wrong dimmer switch used or lamps are not designed to be dimmed.

Just got it down there and it turns out theres a 12v transformer in there which I didn't realise so i'm a numpty for not checking.

Advertisement