Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weaning - mainly blw weaning

• 23-09-2016 8:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭

I'm just started with weaning my little boy his 6 months I started with the puree but now want to do the baby led weaning il spoon feed porridge and yogurt just want an idea for finger foods what size should I be giving ie say for sweet potato thanks any recipes or ideas thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Cakerbaker

I'm doing BLW about a month with my son so am not an expert or anything but it's going well! Am giving veg in finger size portions, though it took me a few gos to get it cooked soft enough for him to eat but not so soft that it dissolves in his hand! So far I've given things like carrot batons, brocolli florets, slices of avacado, fusilli pasta with tomato sauce / bolognaise, bread, rice crackers, fingers of cheese, slices of omelette, fingers of melon, peach, pear, banana, mango. I'm in the process of trying to adapt our meals to make them more baby friendly so we can just give him whatever were having! Good luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Ms2011

Not to nit pick but if you are doing BLW you can't spoon fed anything. There is nothing wrong with doing some finger food & some spoon feeding but that is not BLW it's just traditional weaning.
    For true BLW nothing can go into the babies mouth that they don't put in themselves.
    Foods like porridge or yoghurt can be preloaded onto a spoon & handed to the baby or put on their highchair tray or even just let them dig in with their hands.
    When doing veg & the like the size of your baby finger is the usual guide so the baby can grip the food with a little sticking out the top to chew on.
    If you have been doing purees the advice is usually to stop any solids for a week or so to 'reset' the babies habit of swallowing the food without chewing, if you don't do this you run the risk of choking.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Anne_cordelia

Ms2011 wrote: »
    If you have been doing purees the advice is usually to stop any solids for a week or so to 'reset' the babies habit of swallowing the food without chewing, if you don't do this you run the risk of choking.
    I have the BLW book and don't recall any mention of this.

Yes BLW purists don't spoon feed but don't let that stop you OP. Like everything do what suits your family. If we had lots of time I would let baby feed herself preloaded spoons but if we were in a rush or out and about I spoon fed.

Our baby has been eating with us since around 8 months. Up to that she didn't eat much but mostly had veggie sticks, cheese, pasta, scrambled eggs, berries, banana, pear etc.

Chip size is the general guide. Big enough to hold but not to choke. I hated rice cakes and breadsticks at that age as she always gagged but others swear by them. I avoided bread until a little older.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

We did combination OP as our lad had reflux and he needed to be getting something into him to keep it under control. Had no issues whatsoever and didn't do any sort of resetting or anything.

We started with purrees and kept up spoon with mash, yoghurt, soup etc. Finger food started at 26 weeks and like above we began with things like well cooked carrot battons, steamed pear and apple pieces. He loved toast almost immediately too. By the time he was 8 months we just gave him some of what we were eating at every meal (a couple of spoons of mine and then left him at it). He gummed away on everything happily

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

The first piece of solid food our little one had was a chicken drumstick. She pinched it off a plate at a party so I just removed the skin and let her at it :D Other than that, steamed veg batons, food that had a handle, ie, broccoli, strips of toast, porridge fingers. I ised to give shreddies that had been soaked for a few seconds in a little milk to soften them. If you're not faint hearted you could give a pile of porridge and just let the child at it, although this creates a LOT of mess! (as does most aspects of blw)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Ms2011

The theory behind waiting a week or two between purees & giving 'normal' food is that normal food requires a lot of manoeuvring & manipulation in the mouth before swallowing. The danger is a baby who has been spoon-fed purees has gotten used to just swallowing food put in their mouth much like they would milk so may treat adult food the same. By giving solids a break for a week or so it gives the baby a fresh prospective when reintroduced to food.
    Everyone of course is going to raise their children how they see fit but the more you know the better choices you can make.
    OP there are Facebook pages & forums for BLW that I found a great resource when I was starting out with my daughter. Also Gill Rapper's BLW book is a must read, it explains everything brilliantly.

Advertisement