Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Question for drivers who have had claims/accidents in the last year or two

• 23-09-2016 8:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭

As someone who is :
    getting old
    never had a car insurance claim
    been driving for 25 years
    drive a standard family saloon

I am shocked at how much my insurance has gone up this year (nearly 100%).
    So if I am getting screwed I am just wondering how anyone who has claimed in the last year or two manage to pay for insurance at all.

What sort of quotes are you paying if you have claimed recently?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

There is a dedicated motor insurance forum now:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1765

And there is also a tell us your quote/renewal thread over there:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057482518

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Didn't see the Insurance Forum, maybe a Mod could move this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

Insurance is going through the roof for everyone, My mothers insurance has gone from 600 to 2000 in two years, No claims or changes in car or details.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,498 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

OP, roughly how much was the claim settled for - total of personal injuries, repairs costs etc.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Mine went from €400 to €2,500.Case still open since Jan two years ago, no personal injury, other driver was on the phone and had indicated the other direction (there was an independent witness) I'm female have driven claim free for over 25 years and
    drive a small hatchback.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

Mine went from €400 to €2,500.Case still open since Jan two years ago, no personal injury, other driver was on the phone and had indicated the other direction (there was an independent witness) I'm female have driven claim free for over 25 years and
    drive a small hatchback.

How is it still open if there is no injury claim?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Other driver not accepting liability .

Sorry, still trying to get the picture. Did you claim for your own damage under your own policy and a recovery against the 3 rd party is outstanding OR is the 3rd party claiming against you?

I claimed through my own company who told me to do so as they would then pursue the cost through the other party . Wish I hadn't now, the cost of the damage would have been around €3.5 k , have ended up paying that in increased policy fee since .

I claimed through my own company who told me to do so as they would then pursue the cost through the other party . Wish I hadn't now, the cost of the damage would have been around €3.5 k , have ended up paying that in increased policy fee since .

That wouldn't be known as an Open Claim. That's a Settled Claim. The Recovery is outstanding. If you are making a declaration to any potential insurer, you correctly describe it a 'Settled'. Your insurer has fulfilled their obligation under the contract and, if they are eventually successful in getting their money back from the 3rd party that will be a benefit to both of you

There is a saying in claims that the truth and proving the truth are 2 different things, so I understand your annoyance at the 3rd party getting away with it

• Advertisement

That would make sense but both the documentation on renewal and on querying it over the phone, the case has been described as open. Have I been spun a line?

That would make sense but both the documentation on renewal and on querying it over the phone, the case has been described as open. Have I been spun a line?

I have seen documentation from insurers which incorrectly describes your situation as open. It is because they are still active on the incident trying to recover from the 3rd party. Most insurers have a separate department dedicated to 'recoveries' like yours. As long as the 3rd party has not lodged a counter claim against you, it should be marked as settled

If you examine the logic, Open claims have the potential to worsen, if injury or property damage exceed expectation. That is why alternative insurers shy away from offering quotes. A claim where your insurer has paid out all your damages and is seeking to recover from a 3rd party can only IMPROVE your claim history, should they get some or all of your money back

If your insurer eventually gets ALL of their outlay back, they are obliged to refund you the extra premium above the normal rate increase they applied. Regardless of this they should provide you with documents describing the claim as Settled, to use as you see fit. Persevere until you get someone who understands the situation

Thanks so much for your information, would be nice to get something back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

coylemj wrote: »
    OP, roughly how much was the claim settled for - total of personal injuries, repairs costs etc.

OP here, I have never had a crash, thats why I started this thread to see what sort of premiums people who have recently made claims are being hit with.

As I said, I'm nearly 50, never claimed on car insurance in 25yrs of driving, and yet I just renewed at €620, whereas last year was €382.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭4Ad

2014 -360 Euro
    2015- 660 Euro. I put in a claim as I crashed on ice..(Sure thats what fully comp is for)
    2016- Received my quote today 1242 Euros !!!
    Im 48,no penalty points, driving a 2011 Skoda..
    My God..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭9935452

4Ad wrote: »
    2014 -360 Euro
    2015- 660 Euro. I put in a claim as I crashed on ice..(Sure thats what fully comp is for)
    My God..

Did you lose your NCB or was it protected?

9935452 wrote: »
    4Ad wrote: »
    2014 -360 Euro
    My God..

Did you lose your NCB or was it protected?

Not sure, I thought I had protection...I'm going to a broker tomorrow maybe that can explain and help me out..I'll let you know...

I had lost my NCB..
    Got it for 650 euro..still alot though..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭...And Justice

2010- €249
    2011- €380
    2012- €450
    2013- €589
    2014- €788 (had an accident this year, not my fault insurance hiked up in 2016)
    2015- €880
    2016- €1010, suck it up nobody will take you while a claim is open--That's what they told me.

2010- €249
    2011- €380
    2012- €450
    2013- €589
    2015- €880
    2016- €1010, suck it up nobody will take you while a claim is open--That's what they told me.

If you have an open claim, it has yet to be concluded that it was not your fault, as you state.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

2010- €249
    2011- €380
    2012- €450
    2013- €589
    2015- €880

There has been around a 20% increase since 2014. Most people are seeing increases of double that.

You also have an open claim.

No insurer will take a driver on with an open claim.

If its non fault and still open I'm assuming you are pursuing a personal injury claim.

That's your choice tbh.

There has been around a 20% increase since 2014. Most people are seeing increases of double that.

You also have an open claim.

No insurer will take a driver on with an open claim.

If its non fault and still open I'm assuming you are pursuing a personal injury claim.

That's your choice tbh.

I'm being brought to court, I'm not claiming from my insurer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

I'm being brought to court, I'm not claiming from my insurer.

So liability is in dispute as you think the other driver was at fault and they think you were?

That's a pain in the arse and unfortunatly it takes a ridiculous lenght of time for these things to process.

Hope you get sorted sooner rather than later.

So liability is in dispute as you think the other driver was at fault and they think you were?

That's a pain in the arse and unfortunatly it takes a ridiculous lenght of time for these things to process.

Hope you get sorted sooner rather than later.

It was proven in criminal court that he was at fault but no charges against him because of the 12 month rule on summons. I was summonsed, he wasn't, now he has brought a civil claim against me, really strange stuff, nightmare to be honest. The DPP need to really take a look inside their selves, full of it so they are. It's now gone to damage control on his insurance side, make this guy out to be a muppet etc...

Advertisement