Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with replacement or new GPU

Options
  • 23-09-2016 9:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭

Hi,

So i have a GPU issue, blue screen of death job. Laptop works once i disable the GPU which is a plus i guess. I had it checked out and i can replace the GPU in it. Just looking for advice on what to get in replace of it. Below is my current spec.

Chassis & Display Vortex Series: 15.6" Matte Full HD LED Widescreen (1920x1080)
    Processor (CPU) Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Mobile Processor i7-4710MQ (2.50GHz) 6MB
    Memory (RAM) 8GB KINGSTON SODIMM DDR3 1600MHz (1 x 8GB)
    Graphics Card NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 870M - 6.0GB DDR5 Video RAM - DirectX® 11
    2nd Graphics Card NONE
    Memory - Hard Disk 1TB SEAGATE HYBRID GEN3 SSHD Drive, SATA 6 Gb/s, 64MB CACHE (5400 rpm)
    2nd Hard Disk NONE
    M.2 SSD Drive NONE
    2nd M.2 SSD Drive NONE
    DVD/BLU-RAY Drive 8x SATA DVD±R/RW/Dual Layer (+ 24x CD-RW)
    Memory Card Reader Internal 9 in 1 Card Reader (MMC/RSMMC/SD: Mini, XC & HC/MS: Pro & Duo)
    Power Cable 1 x UK Power Lead & 180W AC Adaptor
    Thermal Paste ARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND
    Sound Card Intel 2 Channel High Definition Audio + MIC/Headphone Jack
    Bluetooth & Wireless GIGABIT LAN & WIRELESS INTEL® AC-7260 (867Mbps, 802.11AC) + BLUETOOTH
    Wireless Router/HomePlugs/Range Extenders NONE
    USB Options 3 x USB 3.0 PORTS + 1 x USB 2.0 PORT AS STANDARD
    Firewire 1 X 1394a FIREWIRE PORT
    Battery Vortex 15.6" Series 8 Cell Lithium Ion Battery (5,200 mAh/76.96WH)
    Keyboard Language INTEGRATED BACKLIT UK KEYBOARD WITH NUMBER PAD

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Have you tried a driver update/reinstall to eliminate any software issues?

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Ciaran219

Yeah ive tried that. Fully uninstalled and reinstalled it. drivers etc are all up to date. the Intel drivers have all been updated too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Ciaran219 wrote: »
    Yeah ive tried that. Fully uninstalled and reinstalled it. drivers etc are all up to date. the Intel drivers have all been updated too.

I'd say you'd have to get on the suppliers to see what replacements are compatible. Might be a small enough selection.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Give the model no, eg dell dimension model 530 N

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Quick google shows it's based on the Clevo P150SM chassis, so just for a part for that on ebay or wherever. The funny thing is that the other day OCUK had that exact chassis in B-grade for £80 (the entire laptop minus cpu, ram and hard drive)! Gone now though. Buying a replacement card will set you back a couple of hundred unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

IT,S hard to help on this unless you post the model no.
    its on a label underside of the case.

Advertisement