Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Model train - Christmas themed

Options
  • 23-09-2016 11:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭

I'm looking for a model train to go around my Christmas tree this year, preferably Christmas themed.

I don't know the first thing about model trains. so would appreciate some advice. I'm looking for something electrically powered rather than a battery operated affair.

Last year I made the mistake of buying a train and track from Woodies. It was poorly made and put together, even if it wasn't 'cheap'. I don't want to go down that road again. I don't mind spending decent money on something that is of high quality and will last for years. This may also be a gateway for me finding a new hobby!! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭irishbloke77

Hornby are probably one of the biggest names in Model Railways. They do a Christmas trainset, it's called "Santas Express Christmas trainset". The code on the box is R1185 if you want to google it. Marks Models in Dublin may have it in stock, if not, then Amazon or eBay should do the job.

It uses a standard size of track, so could easily become a "hobby" if you so desired. The size of the train will be a little smaller than those cheap battery operated, plastic track, train sets you can get, but the Hornby train is the standard scale size, so you can odd on to it with a load of other trains, if you wanted to.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Thanks lads. I saw that one in my searches :) That's what I'm thinking of, something that I can scale up. Probably a silly question but when you sat that the Hornby track gauge is "standard", I'm assuming that means that it's not a propriety size that will only be able to run Hornby engines and carriages on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭irishbloke77

The standard gauge is called OO Gauge or 1/76 scale. It will run hornby trains and other brands that make OO gauge (1/76) scale trains, such as Bachmann, some old Lima trains, Mainline, Dapol and a few others. They will all connect up to each other so the same scale train could be made up if many different manufacturers trains. Hope that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

I bought one yesterday after being inspired by this thread on wish for a 13.50 delivered. I'll let ye know how it goes..

• Advertisement

The standard gauge is called OO Gauge or 1/76 scale. It will run hornby trains and other brands that make OO gauge (1/76) scale trains, such as Bachmann, some old Lima trains, Mainline, Dapol and a few others. They will all connect up to each other so the same scale train could be made up if many different manufacturers trains. Hope that helps.

Cool! Thank you. Lima trains? My dad still has an old Lima train set but the transformer (brick!) doesn't work anymore. Very like the image attached except the transformer in the picture is not the same as the one my Dad had. Engine and carriages appear to be the same as in this image though.
    I bought one yesterday after being inspired by this thread on wish for a 13.50 delivered. I'll let ye know how it goes..

€13.50? Where did you buy that from? Any more going?

r3nu4l wrote: »
    Cool! Thank you. Lima trains? My dad still has an old Lima train set but the transformer (brick!) doesn't work anymore. Very like the image attached except the transformer in the picture is not the same as the one my Dad had. Engine and carriages appear to be the same as in this image though.

€13.50? Where did you buy that from? Any more going?

Wish.com also known as geekbuying

• Registered Users Posts: 16,114 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Hornby train sets are great fun. I had a Flying Scotsman with 4 couches then I bought extra coaches for it as well as extra tracks to make a bigger railways line. I then went and bought a diesel locomotive and a little small black steam locomotive as well as coal wagons to go on it and cargo wagons for the other one. I even had the flying Scotsman pull all the wagons and couches by itself no bother. I could have kept buying more you never get bored of it. Unfortunately I ran out of space for building it and ended up selling it all (-:

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Lads, what is the difference between the R1185 above and the R1179? They seem very similar but the R1179 is much dearer than the other?

Got my geek buying train last week. Chinese and plastic but it does the job for small money. Smaller than the pictures suggest too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

Christmas Train Set in marks models hawkins street in Dublin - good value too. Thinking of buying it myself for spare controller and track alone.

Check out www.marksmodels.com

r3nu4l wrote: »
    Lads, what is the difference between the R1185 above and the R1179? They seem very similar but the R1179 is much dearer than the other?

To answer my own question... :)

The R1179 comes with a track mat and is oval rather than circular. :)

Bought the R1179 in the end and it looks great around the tree. Thanks all and Happy Christmas.

Advertisement