Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

lost

• 23-09-2016 11:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hey
    i started in nuig this year .. bachelor of science and i am feeling really lost .... i havent a clue what my chemistry lecturer is saying .. its all meaningless to me ... maths is really hard. I am starting to wonder if i am able for this at all 😢 i am so stressed already. Everyone i meet is saying 1st year science is so easy .... hmmm must be me then cause i havent a clue whats going on around me ...The worst part is not knowing who to talk to about this or where to go!
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭darlett

Well firstly relax. A bit at least cos it's the weekend. ;)

I did analytical science years ago in DCU. After a really good leaving cert, and I was really surprised by how hard the course was. I guess after the build up to the leaving I hoped/expected to have some cruise time in college. But I certainly didnt find it easy. Nor did I find it getting significantly MORE harder afterwards. If you're struggling I would suggest attending your tutorials (I missed most of them, simply under rating their usefulness). Speak to your lecturers if you might benefit from extra guidance. And get plenty of sleep to give yourself the best chance to take it all in when you know you have a busy day.

You've identified a problem good and early, that is indeed the first step. You qualified for the course so are capable, just give yourself a chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 854 ✭✭✭tacofries

Hi ya Arial,

Everyone has a few weeks in college where they start to panic. Usually happens around this time of year once the nights out calm down a bit!

For help with chemistry and maths look up Kahn Academy. I can't rate it highly enough! Makes things that were hard in lectures an awful lot easier!! Go to your lecturers as well and ask them for help, most are pretty sound once they see you're interested.

If you're feeling a bit lost then go talk to the students union. Even just send an email to the student union welfare officer (studentsunion@nuigalway.ie). They'll be able to really help you out :) They help hundreds of students a year who are all in your situation so don;t feel like your the only one!

All I'll say is don;t be worrying, college is not the end of the world and by talking to the people above you WILL feel an awful lot better.

P.s. Labs and continuous assessment are the key to first year. Do well in those and you have as good as passed your tests already!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭lalababa

Get the past papers for all your subjects asap. Go to as many of your lectures as you can no matter how gobbledegook they are to you and take down a good lump of notes. Go to all your practicals and ask the lab assistants how to carry out exper.s . Go have a chat with your tutor/mentor . Get to know the relevant texts in library / online / prescribed for your course.
    Once you have the papers you can see what questions will likely come up. Google will actually teach you more than the proff.s about chem. equations/reactions. Go/get to a few grinds/mass grinds comming up to exams.
    Good luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 199 ✭✭39steps

Hi there,
    I'd recommend calling in to the STudent Counselling Drop In Service on Distillery Road. They will give you some practical help in calming your fears and will definitely point you in the direction of lecturers to help. If you're doing Maths, avail of the fantastic SUMS service in Block C. Also Student SErvices
    https://www.nuigalway.ie/student-services/

Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭jogdish

Speak to any lecturer who's course you are feeling left behind in - It as much their problem as yours, and honestly they are usually just happy someone took the time to visit them and express some interest in the course. Email to arrange a time to meet and go there an express your concerns and ask them for a plan of action of what to study and where to start.

Second, Lectures, tutorials and past papers, 6 weeks left - plenty of time to sort things out.

Personally I stay away from things like Khan academy - they are fine, but you are taking an exam on what you are being taught, and you are being taught THE most efficient way to learn the material for YOUR exam, something on line can never offer. Also try the SUMS facility in maths - drop in help centre open all week. Good luck.

• Advertisement
Advertisement