Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nursing homes

Options
  • 24-09-2016 12:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Anyone know what it's like to work in moorehall lodge drogheda? I heard they're looking for HCA staff and I was thinking of applying there.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Honest answer? My understanding is they either can't or won't keep staff, and it's not necessarily the greatest work environment. A lot of what I've heard is second hand info, but the guy running it seems intent on paying the lowest possible wages possible and cutting as many corners as possible. There are some lovely staff over there, but I hear a lot of them complaining about the conditions. It looks like many do it to get their nose in the door of the profession, but the second another job opens up, they run.

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭kormak

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Honest answer? My understanding is they either can't or won't keep staff, and it's not necessarily the greatest work environment. A lot of what I've heard is second hand info, but the guy running it seems intent on paying the lowest possible wages possible and cutting as many corners as possible. There are some lovely staff over there, but I hear a lot of them complaining about the conditions. It looks like many do it to get their nose in the door of the profession, but the second another job opens up, they run.

That seems a bit hard to believe. I have no affinity with Moorehall, but I know we have tried (and failed) to get our Mam in there for the past 3 years. It operates the Household model of care with is really progressive with Alzheimers sufferers. Then again from firsthand experience with nursing home, I would remain very skeptical of all of them and the conditions they operate under.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

kormak wrote: »
    That seems a bit hard to believe. I have no affinity with Moorehall, but I know we have tried (and failed) to get our Mam in there for the past 3 years. It operates the Household model of care with is really progressive with Alzheimers sufferers. Then again from firsthand experience with nursing home, I would remain very skeptical of all of them and the conditions they operate under.

He's talking about employees working conditions, not the patients, which is a totally different matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭kormak

He's talking about employees working conditions, not the patients, which is a totally different matter.
    Yes, I accept that. But one also has a knock-on effect on the other.

Yes, I accept that. But one also has a knock-on effect on the other.

You're making a big assumption there. You're wrong as well, I've family members who worked there and they couldn't wait to get out. Most staff aim for either Drumcar or Lourdes Hospital. That's got nothing to do with the patients, just poor treatment by management.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Its a mixed bag. I've a relative whose been in there for a good while now. Some of the staff are amazing; really efficient, really friendly and brilliant at their jobs. Some of the staff aren't; minimal English being a core problem with some, but also too much work for too little staff. I've heard of some residents being left in bed all morning and into the afternoon, young-ones who haven't a clue about how to keep the place running smoothly. More and more, the stories I hear are its understaffed and underpaid.

As I said, there's been some great staff, but the great ones don't seem to last long and move to greener pastures. The management seem to undervalue the staff in multiple ways, and that has a knock on effect too in terms of inconsistent service.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 GamerGirl1987

Thank you for your honest reply. If you don't mind my asking but was it recently they worked there? I know someone who interviewed this week and they felt the owner was "off" . They didn't feel comfortable at all .

Yeah, fairly recently. It's better than homecare, but it's only one step up. By all means take the job, but keep one eye on vacancies in the hospital or Drumcar, that's what most people do.

Advertisement