Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sports Watch advice needed

• 24-09-2016 12:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭

Hi there,
    I'm looking to buy a sports watch for running. Main reason is to track my running data (distance, pace, HR, intervals, etc) to help me train for longer distance events (marathons, etc). Currently I have a Polar H7 HR monitor and I go for runs with my I-phone to track & record data via Strava. But I would like to have the option of running with just a watch (for races, longer runs) and sync back to Strava later.

My key criteria are:
    1. HR monitoring - I've been looking for a watch that will sync with my HR7 but seems to limit my choice. So an alternative is to just buy a watch with a built in HR (assuming it's accurate) and ditch the Polar H7.
    2. Accurate GPS - If I'm running without my phone it's important the watch can record my distance accurately. I'm not sure if some are better than others at this.
    3. Sync with Strava. Obviously most brands have their own sites for recording and monitoring data (Garmin Connect, etc) but would ideally like to be able to sync my results with Strava as this is what I'm used to using.
    4. A watch that has good interface, real time display and durability.
    5. Optional features such as monitoring cadence, VO2 max, etc would be nice but not essential.
    6. Not interested in other smartwatch features like taking calls, sms, etc - i just want a watch for sports purposes, specifically running.

I know i'm looking at mid to high end of the range. I don't mind paying out 200 - 250, but want to make sure I buy the right one.
    I was thinking of the Polar V800 or Garmin Vivoactive HR at the top end?

Also I do have the chance to buy a Tom Tom runner cardio GPS watch for 100 2nd hand so maybe this would be good enough?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 195 ✭✭Brusna

paddyblue wrote: »
    Hi there,
    I'm looking to buy a sports watch for running. Main reason is to track my running data (distance, pace, HR, intervals, etc) to help me train for longer distance events (marathons, etc). Currently I have a Polar H7 HR monitor and I go for runs with my I-phone to track & record data via Strava. But I would like to have the option of running with just a watch (for races, longer runs) and sync back to Strava later.

My key criteria are:
    1. HR monitoring - I've been looking for a watch that will sync with my HR7 but seems to limit my choice. So an alternative is to just buy a watch with a built in HR (assuming it's accurate) and ditch the Polar H7.
    2. Accurate GPS - If I'm running without my phone it's important the watch can record my distance accurately. I'm not sure if some are better than others at this.
    3. Sync with Strava. Obviously most brands have their own sites for recording and monitoring data (Garmin Connect, etc) but would ideally like to be able to sync my results with Strava as this is what I'm used to using.
    4. A watch that has good interface, real time display and durability.
    5. Optional features such as monitoring cadence, VO2 max, etc would be nice but not essential.
    6. Not interested in other smartwatch features like taking calls, sms, etc - i just want a watch for sports purposes, specifically running.

I know i'm looking at mid to high end of the range. I don't mind paying out 200 - 250, but want to make sure I buy the right one.
    I was thinking of the Polar V800 or Garmin Vivoactive HR at the top end?

Also I do have the chance to buy a Tom Tom runner cardio GPS watch for 100 2nd hand so maybe this would be good enough?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

If you're happy to continue using the H7 I would recommend the polar M400. Has everything you're looking for.

You need to set up a polar flow account and you can link your strava account. After you're run sync the watch with the polar flow app on the iPhone and it with automatically go to strava.

Lots of info in polar flow which may be useful such as running index and recovery status.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭paddyblue

Thanks, I'm happy to get the M400 watch and use with the H7 HRM, if it is the best watch for the price out there. The H7 only cost approx 50, so don't want to buy a watch just to keep that in use. for example, I can get a TomTom cardio runner GPS for c.100 (which has a built in HRM), so if this is a better watch & HRM is accurate, then I will gladly buy that and ditch the Polar H7.

Or if a Garnin is the best choice on the market (from my research to date it seems to be coming up top) then I'm happy to spend a bit more for a better device.

Looks like the M400 is prob my best option though.

I have a little experience with the tom tom and in my opinion it's not even close to the polar. I thought it was awkward with limited functionality compared to my M400.

I have no experience of the garmin watches so I can't comment on them.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

I agree on the Polar M400. Got mine recently for a good price on Amazon.
    Great sports watch with android/iphone notifications.
    Polar Flow has all the features you would need, many of which are part of premium on Strava.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭coalshed

I'm about 5 weeks into use of a Vivoactive HR. I find it to be great, have used it for running and cycling and would highly recommend it as an all-round watch offering decent functionality in many areas.

I previously had a timex ironman (which I had to activate and leave outdoors 20 minutes before running in order to find GPS)

Why I like the vivoactive hr:
    - the built in HRM...no more fiddling with a chest strap
    - the general activity/sleep/hr tracking - its fun to watch the daily steps accumulate
    - getting notifications for emails etc.
    - being able to control the music on my phone (spotify) while running - a huge plus if you run with music on your phone
    - quick sync with Garmin connect /strava

Downsides
    - it doesn't have sophisticated training functionality such as the ability to load workouts or view a virtual partner, so it may be too much of a generalist if you want advanced running features.

That's all, I'm delighted with the watch.

Thanks for the info Coalshed.

I've actually been looking at the Garmin Forerunner range (the 630 has caught my eye) but the vivoactive HR could be a cheaper alternative. It seems like a good all rounder, plus no need for separate HR strap is a bonus. Also ability to control spotify would be something that appeals to me (no more fumbling with phone trying to change track mid run!). Getting e-mails or sms notifications is not really something I'd care about though. Also ''in-run'' features like notifications when I go outside target HR zone, etc would be valuable to me, so probably I need to go for something more specific than an all rounder like this Vivoactive. But i will research it more after your recommendation.

Right now it's between the Polar range (M400 or possibly splash out for the V800) or the Garmin (Forerunner 630 or Vivoactive HR). It might come down to which of the websites (polar flow or garmin connect) is easiest to use for managing and interpreting data, etc.

Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 39 shayr

Hi PaddyBlue
    I have a Foreunner 620 with HRM for sale at the mo for 180
    Straps little worn on the inside ..other than that in perfect nick in original box
    Shayr

shayr wrote: »
    Hi PaddyBlue
    I have a Foreunner 620 with HRM for sale at the mo for 180
    Straps little worn on the inside ..other than that in perfect nick in original box
    Shayr
    Thanks but I think I will opt for the 630 model if I do go for Garmin (currently I'm leaning that way). Will let you know if I change my mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 shayr

No probs, 630 is an excellent watch ..using one at the mo ..only gripe I have with it is the backlight is very faint.

• Advertisement

Hey Paddyblue, just wondering if the new polar m600 has been on your radar at all. It has the built in hrm. Have you done any research on it and if so what do you think?

Brusna wrote: »
    Hey Paddyblue, just wondering if the new polar m600 has been on your radar at all. It has the built in hrm. Have you done any research on it and if so what do you think?

I've done some basic research on the M600. But a quick look at amazon reviews turned me off it. There were repetitive complaints about the technology and screen size. You can get the V800 for almost the same price, and it seems to do far more too. Also I'm not sure if wrist based HR monitor is suitable for me. I want to adopt a HR based training program, so accurate HR reading will be vital. I've read that the wrist HR monitors can loose accuracy at a higher pace (due to excessive wrist/hand movement).

In general I've read a lot more negative reviews of Polar products than Garmin. Seems their technology does not interface well with other products, etc. But some people rave about Polar so could be a bit of product bias at play in these reviews. I've pretty much narrowed my search down to either the Polar V800 or the Garmin Forerunner 630. Price is very similar (even accounting for a new HR strap with the Garmin). I'm leaning towards the Garmin at this stage but will give it a few more days research before I decide.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

this guy is the reviewer you need
    http://www.dcrainmaker.com/

Thanks again everyone for the advice. I purchased the Forerunner 630 two weeks ago and am delighted with it.
    It has everything I want plus more. The running dynamics (cadence, vertical oscillation, ground contact time, etc) are invaluable for anyone looking to monitor and improve their running form. I wasn't sure if I would be interested in that level of detail, but it is great to see these readings on garmin connect after each work-out.
    It is tailored specifically for running so my not be suitable for cross trainers. Also it may have too much detail for more casual runners.

The only gripe I would have is the touch screen seems slightly unresponsive sometimes. But i did fit a strong screen protector to my watch when I got it so that could be the reason, I didn't find the back light to be too weak, but I don't have the experience of previous watches to compare to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 teddypicker918

Hi Paddy, did you purchase a new heart rate chest strap to work with the Forerunner 630? If so, which one and would you recommend?

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭sportsmaddad

Apologies about resurrecting a 4 year old thread, but I thought it better to use an old one and see what updates there have been in the meantime. I'm looking for a recommendation for a smart watch with these features:

- Built-in HR Monitor
    - Ability to set Interval Training (running) plans, and get split updates on the go.
    - Integration with Android notifications, texts, etc.

Apologies about resurrecting a 4 year old thread, but I thought it better to use an old one and see what updates there have been in the meantime. I'm looking for a recommendation for a smart watch with these features:

- Built-in HR Monitor
    - Ability to set Interval Training (running) plans, and get split updates on the go.
    - Integration with Android notifications, texts, etc.

Garmin 45

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07Q17VZG8/ref=twister_B07R9NHM4S

https://www.google.com/search?q=garmin+45+interval+training&oq=garmin+45+inter&aqs=chrome.0.0j69i57j0l6.4941j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

actually the Garmin 35 will do all that also and if you go for the white strap is only £100 at the moment

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Garmin-Forerunner-Running-Wrist-Based-Workouts/dp/B01K9W5EX6/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=garmin+35&qid=1590071179&sr=8-3

but the 45 does have extra data features and a more modern menu - up to you.

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2019/04/garmin-forerunner-45-45s-gps-watch-in-depth-review.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,680 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

glasso wrote: »
    actually the Garmin 35 will do all that also and if you go for the white strap is only £100 at the moment

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Garmin-Forerunner-Running-Wrist-Based-Workouts/dp/B01K9W5EX6/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=garmin+35&qid=1590071179&sr=8-3

but the 45 does have extra data features and a more modern menu - up to you.

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2019/04/garmin-forerunner-45-45s-gps-watch-in-depth-review.html

The 35 doesn't support setting up custom workouts on Garmin Connect and then syncing them to the watch.
    It supports intervals of a sort but would be far clunkier than the 45.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

I wonder if anybody can help here.
    I use the strava app on my apple watch to record runs, I did a pretty atypical mountain run this morning which i saved on the watch but it hasn't uploaded to the app so i can't see the details. I recall with my Garmin that it would sometimes take an hour or so to sync but this is since 9 o clock this morning and nothing, anybody know what's happened here?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,073 ✭✭✭✭event

Sometimes on my Garmin I have to go the app, disconnect the connection between the two & set it up again

Advertisement