Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The weather and rule number 5

Options
  • 24-09-2016 8:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭

What point does the weather need to be at that rule number 5 need not apply?

I'm due to go out on a group spin today. Nothing major - 60km and no hills. But there will be inexperienced cyclists out. It looks to be rain (no problem) but the wind is forecast for ~35kph with gusts of ~70kph. Based on the route there will be a crosswind for a decent chunk of it, across the back of the airport where it's rather exposed.

I don't mind a bit of wind. But I am concerned safety wise about cycling in a group with inexperienced cyclists with those gusts. Also unlikely to be any close group riding to get any benefit of the group.

So I'm wondering are these conditions enough to bail, or is this a classic HTFU?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Deciding whether you should have gone out or not is a post spin consideration.

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Buzwaldo

As an old neighbor of mine used to say 'it's a day for a high stool'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

Could you choose a less exposed route, and maybe take the into-the-pub-for-a-hot-port-and-brandy option of necessary?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

Chuchote wrote: »
    Could you choose a less exposed route, and maybe take the into-the-pub-for-a-hot-port-and-brandy option of necessary?

Nah it's a charity spin that's on a pre defined route

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

Hmm. Let's hope the unsheltered parts are going north; a bit breezy

https://www.windyty.com/?53.333,-6.249,6

It doesn't look that rainy:

http://www.yr.no/place/Ireland/Leinster/Dublin/hour_by_hour.html

and it's warm enough

http://forecast.io/#/f/53.3481,-6.2483

• Advertisement

Chuchote wrote: »
    Hmm. Let's hope the unsheltered parts are going north; a bit breezy

https://www.windyty.com/?53.333,-6.249,6

It doesn't look that rainy:

http://www.yr.no/place/Ireland/Leinster/Dublin/hour_by_hour.html

and it's warm enough

http://forecast.io/#/f/53.3481,-6.2483

Nope the un sheltered bits are going east! I'll take a view shortly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

I'm sorry, but Rule 5 has no conditions.
    If you don't go out, you'll feel guilty.
    It's a terrible feeling. I'm feeling it now, I was supposed to do The Morgan Sparrow Cycle today. I chickened out. I feel terrible.
    Trying to justify not going out is awful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭JK.BMC

Eamonnator wrote: »
    I'm sorry, but Rule 5 has no conditions.
    If you don't go out, you'll feel guilty.
    It's a terrible feeling. I'm feeling it now, I was supposed to do The Morgan Sparrow Cycle today. I chickened out. I feel terrible.
    Trying to justify not going out is awful.

Is the Morgan Sparrow going over the Sally Gap?

There comes a point when this rule #5 business doesn't apply- 100kmh winds on top of a mountain comes to mind.
    I will probably go cycling when the wind dies down later.
    And to the OP, if in doubt about the skills of your group colleagues, either show them some leadership and guidance or else go on your own. Nobody benefits from the accumulation of excess nervousness and uncertainty

JK.BMC wrote: »
    Is the Morgan Sparrow going over the Sally Gap?

There comes a point when this rule #5 business doesn't apply- 100kmh winds on top of a mountain comes to mind.
    I will probably go cycling when the wind dies down later.
    And to the OP, if in doubt about the skills of your group colleagues, either show them some leadership and guidance or else go on your own. Nobody benefits from the accumulation of excess nervousness and uncertainty

Yes. Starts in Casement Aerodrome, Sally Gap, Laragh, Wicklow Gap.
    You're just trying to make me feel better, thank you.

Eamonnator wrote: »
    Yes. Starts in Casement Aerodrome, Sally Gap, Laragh, Wicklow Gap.
    You're just trying to make me feel better, thank you.

No bother.

Head out later maybe!

You can do those climbs/routes on a better day surely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

Looked at the weather forecast yesterday and pre-empted this guilty feeling and went for a sneaky after work spin yesterday

Guilt free today :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭koutoubia

Just back form a 2hr spin. Very windy but not gusty.But it was a flat route. Wouldn't fancy being on high exposed area's.

Okay. I'm going to do it. It's only 60. It's relatively flat. And I'm hoping that at some stage we'll have a tail wind.

If all else fails we'll go to the pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I was supposed to go out with a few friends st 8:30 this morning. Woke at 7:30am and looked out and thought fcuk that, text them and told them I was bailing and went back to bed. Got up again at 8:30 and got cycling gear on and took my MTB up the forestry behind my house. Done 20km on sheltered trails and fire roads and barely got wet despite the rain and wind. Rule 5 - you can kiss my ass!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,334 ✭✭✭secman

Weather in Dublin at the moment is not great , holding off till late afternoon/ evening and hope weather in wexford is on the kind side of decent.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

sullivlo wrote: »
    What point does the weather need to be at that rule number 5 need not apply? ...
    When you have to dismount and practically crawl along the road with the bike tied to your body with a spare tube to prevent it from being blown away (i.e. when crossing the Featherbeds in a storm).

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭LpPepper

Morgan Sparrow was due to take place over the Wicklow Mountains but route was changed to a spin around Blessington Lakes instead due to high winds

The Pink Elephant 200 was cancelled today.

LpPepper wrote: »
    Morgan Sparrow was due to take place over the Wicklow Mountains but route was changed to a spin around Blessington Lakes instead due to high winds

Thank God for that. Hope all went well.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

LpPepper wrote:

Yeah made the decision yesterday based on the forecast that it just wasn't worth the risk. Glad someone had the sense to change the route.

• Advertisement

LpPepper wrote: »

NOW I feel less guilty.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

JK.BMC wrote: »
    Thank God for that. Hope all went well.

Just back now. Was a good decision to avoid the gaps. Even just doing the big Lake it was a bit dodgy. Grand though was wet but not too cold as long as you kept pedalling

I went on the cycle.

Cold. Wet. Windy.

But grand. Nice ride. Shower now and then to the pub for pints.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

The Pink Elephant 200 was cancelled today.

When the Audaxers are cancelling, there is something more than mere weather affecting the cycling. I remember my first spin with them, the roads had ice and the temperature was around zero. All that happened was the organiser came out and said officially the event is cancelled for insurance and safety reasons. Everyone who turned up still went out for the ride though.

CramCycle wrote: »
    When the Audaxers are cancelling, there is something more than mere weather affecting the cycling....
    Weather was the reason given.
    Due to the forecast combination of heavy rain, strong winds and an exposed mountainside route for Saturday morning, I have decided to postpone the event until mid-October. Entries will be re-opened once the date has been confirmed

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Weather was the reason given.

It was an attempt at humour as many audaxers are known for their resilience.

Advertisement