Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Converting from Mov to h.264

Options
  • 24-09-2016 9:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭

I bought a dashcam and I can't seem to view the footage on my iPad. The files on the camera are formatted in MOV however my iPad won't recognise them when I plug in the sd card via a lightning to sd card reader. Doing a bit of research I think I need to convert the files from MOV to h.264 on the pic then save it to a different sd card and then my iPad should be able to read the h.264 files. Can anyone recommend a good easy pc program to convert these files

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Luckysasha wrote: »
    I bought a dashcam and I can't seem to view the footage on my iPad. The files on the camera are formatted in MOV however my iPad won't recognise them when I plug in the sd card via a lightning to sd card reader. Doing a bit of research I think I need to convert the files from MOV to h.264 on the pic then save it to a different sd card and then my iPad should be able to read the h.264 files. Can anyone recommend a good easy pc program to convert these files

Have you uploaded the videos via iTunes? Seems like they have to synced this way.

(How can Apple's own movie format not play on an iPad?)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Luckysasha

I have an old digital camera that records movies in AVI. This works perfectly with the lightning to sd card reader. So I presumed that the format my dashcam is running is not compatible with the iPad. The iPad recognises there is an sd card in the reader but can't see the videos on the card recorded from my dashcam. I've tried opening it in iMovies but still nothing.

I have an old digital camera that records movies in AVI. This works perfectly with the lightning to sd card reader. So I presumed that the format my dashcam is running is not compatible with the iPad. The iPad recognises there is an sd card in the reader but can't see the videos on the card recorded from my dashcam. I've tried opening it in iMovies but still nothing.

I think you'll have to transfer using iTunes

But isn't iTunes only available on a pc. This defeats the purpose of what I'm trying to do I'm afraid. I want to be able to take the sd card out of my dashcam, plug it in to the sd card reader and watch the footage on my iPad.

But isn't iTunes only available on a pc. This defeats the purpose of what I'm trying to do I'm afraid. I want to be able to take the sd card out of my dashcam, plug it in to the sd card reader and watch the footage on my iPad.

Well you could download iTunes onto your laptop or PC and transfer that way. Oher than that download Handbrake and try one of the default conversion options for iPad.
    https://handbrake.fr/

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Have you tried the VLC for ipad app here?

Nick

Yes tried VLC but you can only watch movies from another source such as cloud or iTunes. It doesn't offer a direct connection from sd reader

Yes tried VLC but you can only watch movies from another source such as cloud or iTunes. It doesn't offer a direct connection from sd reader

Have you transferred the files onto the iPad?

Edit. I'm guessing it doesn't even see the files. Is this true when using a file explorer as well as a media player app

Yep. Nothing seems to recognise the movie files on the sd card. The process should go:
    1) plug lightning to sd card reader in to iPad
    2) put sd card in reader
    3) photos app will open and an "import" button will appear at the bottom of the screen
    4) the files on the sd card will appear on the iPad and select which files to import.

Steps 1,2,3 are working but the screen remains blank not displaying any files on the sd card

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

If you take a picture on the cam does it appear?

This could be a simple case of the SD not actually mounting at all.
    A MOV file is a common multimedia container file format developed by Apple and compatible with both Macintosh and Windows platforms.

You'd think iOS would support Movs and it does. I suspect you're fixing the wrong problem.

• Advertisement

Pictures on the dashcam don't appear either on the iPad. Yet as I said before I can view everything on the laptop perfectly. My old digital camera records in avi format and I can view that video on the iPad following the steps as above. So I tried reformatting the dashcam files to avi using VLC and still nothing. Very frustrating at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

If you cant see the pictures then its not the codec that matters.

Either the SD you're using is too big or its formatted in a file system the iPad doesnt understand.

It's a 32g sd card formatted to FAT32. I even tried a 2g sd card formatted the same and still no joy. Only thing I haven't tried is recording in a smaller resolution but even if the resolution was too big the iPad should still recognise the files.

Advertisement