Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Considering quitting the commute

Options
  • 24-09-2016 11:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,879 ✭✭✭

Just too many hairy moments with cars giving very little space or cutting across me when coming off a roundabout. It's like we don't even exist and a lack of consideration by some drivers for cyclists. With the winter and dark nights approaching it's only going to get worse. There's a minority of drivers who don't seem to get how vulnerable we are and it only takes one second of poor concentration due to tiredness or whatever for impact and it's a risk (however low it Is) that personally and with great frustration I just don't feel is worth it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

Own the lane where you can and support the protests cyclists are currently organising in Dublin. Report dangerous driving particularly if there's one or two people repeatedly driving badly on your commute.

Not much else you can do and I hear where you're coming from; if I had kids I think I'd be taking the car to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Avoid the roundabout?

Loads of people commute safely by bicycle.

Sure this isn't an excuse because it's nearly October and the weather is turning?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Owning the lane will only get you so far.
    When a vehicle comes from behind and pulls across in front of a cyclist, ownership of the lane immediately transfers to that vehicle.
    When a vehicle drives into the cycle lane in front of you to undertake a car turning right – they now have the dominant position.
    When a vehicle breaks a red light – they have the dominant position (albeit illegally)
    There are lots more example of how as the vulnerable user, a cyclist can't really enforce their right of way or entitlement to space / respect on the roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭coolbeans

I find cameras keep people in check. Just got a frontrear combo lately and am happier and more confident. Hopefully I'll never actually upload anything to youtube.

Lumen wrote: »
    Avoid the roundabout?

Loads of people commute safely by bicycle.

Sure this isn't an excuse because it's nearly October and the weather is turning?

Lots of people have near misses every day.

The last point of your post is unfair to even suggest. The OP is entitled to make that decision without you questioning their reason for it.

For the record. I have not commuted since June 2. I was hit by a car that ran a red light and attempted to cross a roadway 6 lanes wide. I was out far left - furthest away from the light they ran, and almost across the junction to safety. Luckily, I seen the car, and avoided serious injury by the steps I took to save my skin. Nonetheless, 4 months later, I am not fully recovered. I damaged the tendons in my arms and suffered nerve trauma at C4/C5 and in both wrists. I don't have full use of both thumbs and won't for up to one year while the nerves recover. I was lucky.

When I decide to cycle to work again, it won't be the weather that I base my decision on!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

coolbeans wrote: »
    I find cameras keep people in check. Just got a frontrear combo lately and am happier and more confident. Hopefully I'll never actually upload anything to youtube.

Looking for a camera too, what you get?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Maybe look at a safer route, even if it is a bit longer. Alternatively, if you feel unhappy with one particular roundabout, dismount and take the pedestrian route across it. While it might slow you down, at least it keeps you cycling. Personally, I'm always happier with a longer stress free cycle than a shorter stressful one and plan my routes accordingly. Sometime half an hour on google maps can find all sorts of alternatives.

jon1981 wrote: »

Looking for a camera too, what you get?

Cycliq Fly12 at the front and Fly6 at the rear. Seem ok at the moment. I'm not really interested in video editing though so can't comment on that aspect.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,538 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Do you honestly think that drivers could spot the cameras?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

billyhead wrote: »
    Just too many hairy moments with cars giving very little space or cutting across me when coming off a roundabout...
    I passed you (while driving) 3 or 4 times during the week billyhead and you certainty didn't look like a man about to give up!

Which roundabout do you encounter difficulties? Malahide/Feltrim one in Swords? It's the one where I exercise most caution particularly regarding vehicles exiting from the Feltrim Road.

• Advertisement

Kaisr Sose wrote: »
    Lots of people have near misses every day.
    That ambiguous. Lots of near misses happen, but there are 7 billion people on earth. If there are individuals having near misses every day whilst cycling then those individuals should certainly consider another mode of transport. I can't even remember the last time I had a near miss and I'm rubbish at cycling.
    The last point of your post is unfair to even suggest. The OP is entitled to make that decision without you questioning their reason for it.
    It's a discussion forum.
    For the record. I have not commuted since June 2. I was hit by a car...
    Sounds nasty, good luck with the recovery.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,879 ✭✭✭billyhead

I passed you (while driving) 3 or 4 times during the week billyhead and you certainty didn't look like a man about to give up!

Which roundabout do you encounter difficulties? Malahide/Feltrim one in Swords? It's the one where I exercise most caution particularly regarding vehicles exiting from the Feltrim Road.

Hi Wishbone. Its the Seatown roundabout in Swords as I turn right their heading towards North Street, Swords. The Donabate roundabout trying to safely get to Lissenhall is not great either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭Phil.x

I blame the likes of George hook for being anti cyclist on national airwaves and subconsciously brainwashing motorists to hate cyclists.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Light yourself up like a christmas tree, day or night. Its the only way.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Hi Wishbone. Its the Seatown roundabout in Swords as I turn right their heading towards North Street, Swords. The Donabate roundabout trying to safely get to Lissenhall is not great either.
    I find the Seatown one to be fine when taking 3rd exit. Fingallians one is a little more dodgier as it seems to be bigger and traffic is moving faster. The only time I'd be using the 3rd exit of both those is when heading for a club ride.

I've started to use the subway at the junction 4 interchange as the regular horn blowing from drivers was becoming wearisome.

What about going via Bealinstown/Batter Lane (3rd exit at Tesco) and down by Balheary?

Lumen wrote: »
    That ambiguous. Lots of near misses happen, but there are 7 billion people on earth. If there are individuals having near misses every day whilst cycling then those individuals should certainly consider another mode of transport. I can't even remember the last time I had a near miss and I'm rubbish at cycling.

It's a discussion forum.

Sounds nasty, good luck with the recovery.

Thanks for your kind wishes. It just takes one moment, but as we have all seen to frequently these past few weeks - it could have been a lot worse.
    I think you are splitting hairs on bring up 7bn souls on this earth. My comment referred to the limited no. of them that choose to commute by bicycle on Irish roads. I don't know where your commute brings you but I had noticed mine getting more and more prone to near misses that on another day or with a different person, could have resulted in serious injury. That equates commuting to playing with a loaded gun.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed commuting but I also enjoy being able to walk, chew my food or drink fluid from a container rather than suck it with a straw.

Given this is as you say a discussion forum, I note you are not questioning my reason for not commuting - is that because it's more valid than the OP's or just that you know it's not up for discussion?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭2RockMountain

Just too many hairy moments with cars giving very little space or cutting across me when coming off a roundabout. It's like we don't even exist and a lack of consideration by some drivers for cyclists. With the winter and dark nights approaching it's only going to get worse. There's a minority of drivers who don't seem to get how vulnerable we are and it only takes one second of poor concentration due to tiredness or whatever for impact and it's a risk (however low it Is) that personally and with great frustration I just don't feel is worth it.

Illegitimi non carborundum

Just to appeal to your collective responsibility, the more cyclists are on the road, the safer cycling gets. If you quit, you make life a little bit more difficult for the remaining cyclists.

Get a helmetcam, cycle assertively, give positive and negative feedback to drivers.

I note you are not questioning my reason for not commuting - is that because it's more valid than the OP's or just that you know it's not up for discussion?
    You have sustained a serious injury from which you haven't yet recovered. That gets you a free pass to the wimp list. :pac:

FWIW you describe yourself as lucky but you're not! You suffered what sounds like a freak accident. That's unlucky.

@Lumen
    For sure, very unlucky. But, when I say lucky, I mean lucky that my bad luck did not result in a far worse outcome.

Thanks for your kind wishes. It just takes one moment, but as we have all seen to frequently these past few weeks - it could have been a lot worse.
    I think you are splitting hairs on bring up 7bn souls on this earth. My comment referred to the limited no. of them that choose to commute by bicycle on Irish roads. I don't know where your commute brings you but I had noticed mine getting more and more prone to near misses that on another day or with a different person, could have resulted in serious injury. That equates commuting to playing with a loaded gun.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed commuting but I also enjoy being able to walk, chew my food or drink fluid from a container rather than suck it with a straw.

Given this is as you say a discussion forum, I note you are not questioning my reason for not commuting - is that because it's more valid than the OP's or just that you know it's not up for discussion?

It's unlucky that you were seriously injured in your accident and that has obviously contributed to your opinion on cycling in general.

Giving up on it for you might be the right decision, it does no good for cycling in general for people to give up on it and declare it too dangerous.

It only has that reputation because cycling infrastructure is patchy at best and always secondary to the motor vehicle. Attitudes need to change but they slowly are changing.

I've cycled abroad in other other European countries like France, Holland and Spain and we are many years behind them when it comes to cycling policy and general attitude from other road users. But I don't agree for one second cycling is a dangerous activity in this country.

• Advertisement

ronoc wrote: »
    It's unlucky that you were seriously injured in your accident and that has obviously contributed to your opinion on cycling in general.

Giving up on it for you might be the right decision, it does no good for cycling in general for people to give up on it and declare it too dangerous.

Just to clear this up – my post is in support of somebody considering giving up commuting who had the basis for their reason questioned. Everybody is entitled to make their own decision.

I have no intention of giving up cycling or commuting. It's not in my genes to quit until I have to and even then I will keep trying anyway! It was an accident - no more. I am sure the motorist did not set out to hurt anybody and there was no deficit in my ability to cycle they led to the accident. No reason to quit cycling - but I would not question if somebody else chose to do so - whether they had an accident or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

A day or two on the bus is the best prescription to restore a healthy cyclo-commuting outlook.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

OP .... If your uncomfortable commuting by bike, don't do it. Cycling is supposed to be enjoyable, not a stressful endurance test!

Having said that, what's your alternative? Commute by car? Statistically your more likely to die or be seriously injured driving than cycling!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Mango Joe

Lumen are you as rude to people in real life or do you just save it all up for when you are on here?

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭boardbeer

fat bloke wrote: »
    A day or two on the bus is the best prescription to restore a healthy cyclo-commuting outlook.
    try commuting in a car, then, at least a bus gets up to a reasonable speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

fat bloke wrote: »

I remember clearly the day I ended up on the DART at rush hour because I didn't know how to replace a freewheel. I vowed that day I would learn to do basic-to-somewhat-advanced bicycle maintenance, and I did.

Mango Joe wrote: »
    Lumen are you as rude to people in real life or do you just save it all up for when you are on here?

He's a healthy number two on my match-making page.

07Lapierre wrote: »
    OP .... If your uncomfortable commuting by bike, don't do it. Cycling is supposed to be enjoyable, not a stressful endurance test!

Yes, important to remember that.

I think how pleasant cycling is really varies a lot depending on where you live. Where I live it's really quite pleasant. I found Finglas much less so, especially the Old Finglas Road.

For your daily commute, you really have to find something that removes the hazardous or stressful bits. If you're going that way everyday, each risk factor is multiplied by over two hundred annually.

Becoming a pedestrian, or at least using pedestrian lights to stop traffic to give you breathing space works sometimes.
    07Lapierre wrote: »
    Having said that, what's your alternative? Commute by car? Statistically your more likely to die or be seriously injured driving than cycling!

I think if you look at risk of death or serious injury per kilometre or per hour of travel, driving is safer. However, you miss out on very considerable health benefits, and the risk for cycling is far from intolerable, despite what many people think (there are some roads I would not cycle on though).

ted1 wrote: »

Do you honestly think that drivers could spot the cameras?

Not always but if they don't they understand pretty quick when I point it out to them. I've had a few suggest I'm a vigilante but they don't hold the same opinion re dashcams in cars. We'll get there though, one knucklehead at a time. Keep on pedalling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,538 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Not always but if they don't they understand pretty quick when I point it out to them. I've had a few suggest I'm a vigilante but they don't hold the same opinion re dashcams in cars. We'll get there though, one knucklehead at a time. Keep on pedalling.
    Surely if you reach a situation where you need to point out the camera it's to late as the event has passed

Advertisement