Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Considering quitting the commute

Options
13»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭2RockMountain

Chuchote wrote: »
    The law on hate speech (a law that was won by long and hard work) defines it as speech calculated to arouse hatred of ethnic groups. But the kind of hate speech that's now endangering cyclists, a specific body of road users, is exactly the same kind that has been used against racial groups:
    • calling people 'vermin',
    • encouraging others to 'teach them a lesson' if they won't be caught,
    • claiming that 'the majority of cyclists' break traffic laws and using this claim as justification for dangerous behaviour towards all cyclists.

It's time to stop this in Ireland. Too dangerous.

I agree, though the laws in incitement to hatred seem to be specifically restricted to designated groups. The BAI Code does include a requirement not to encourage law-breaking, which might be a way to get at Hook's more outrageous rants.
    Lumen wrote: »
    Me neither, but I prefer that responsibility to sit with the appropriate authorities.
    Me too in theory, but it's just not happening on the road. Enforcement is abysmal.
    CramCycle wrote: »
    This would appear to be against the norm there though. The Police tend to react quite quickly to anything with some publicity. Several districts have active campaigns against such behaviour and the Met even have a division to deal solely with dashcam and helmet cam footage AFAIK.
    The feedback I get from London cyclists is that RoadSafe really doesn't work for them - a bit of black hole. At best, the coppers send out a notice to tell the driver they've been spotted, but there is little or no follow up.

http://content.met.police.uk/Site/roadsafelondon

There are some positive signs from the UK, with a couple of forces picking up on West Midlands very welcome approach;

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/bike-blog/2016/sep/16/undercover-bike-cops-launch-best-ever-cycle-safety-scheme-in-birmingham

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Deedsie wrote: »
    It's hard to see attitudes changing unfortunately. Using a mobile phone while driving (texting or calling) kills people yet we see it every single day along with many other distractions that shouldn't be allowed when driving a car. Some people incredibly still won't wear seatbelts, some people still drive while intoxicated.

I'd put the seat belt case in a different category (at least for solo drivers) in that they're not really endangering others (I'm avoiding the John Adams argument that would completely derail the thread).

Not just some people, a quarter of people, one in every four has done so in the last six months, according to a self-reporting survey at the Bantry Show:

That's one in four farmers though. I think drink-driving is more common in rural areas, so the number state-wide is probably lower than that. Not that reassuring though!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

billyhead wrote: »
    Hi Wishbone. Its the Seatown roundabout in Swords as I turn right their heading towards North Street, Swords. The Donabate roundabout trying to safely get to Lissenhall is not great either.

Hang a left and cross on the overpass?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,879 ✭✭✭billyhead

Hang a left and cross on the overpass?

Dermot. The overpass is badly maintained I.e debris on the ground. Also you have to bunny hop of the path to get back on the road when you exit it which is a nuisance. I might just cut back on the commuting over the winter to 3 days a week which will reduce the risk and odds of being hit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

tomasrojo wrote: »
    That's one in four farmers though. I think drink-driving is more common in rural areas, so the number state-wide is probably lower than that. Not that reassuring though!
    I know it's not popular to say it but I'd feel a lot safer sharing a rural boreen with a driver with a few pints in them than with a sober driver distracted by texts on a busy commuter route.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Mango Joe wrote: »
    Lumen are you as rude to people in real life or do you just save it all up for when you are on here?

I know Lumen in real life. He's exactly the same in person as he is online. I find it endearing.
    07Lapierre wrote: »
    OP .... If your uncomfortable commuting by bike, don't do it. Cycling is supposed to be enjoyable, not a stressful endurance test!

This is it. My commute is the nicest part of my working day. I quite enjoy driving and in terms of time, there's not much between driving and the bike, but cycling beats it hands down, even in the winter.

If I ever felt so stressed by cycling that was I considering festooning my bike with cameras, I'd give it up. Life's too short for that kind of aggravation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

tomasrojo wrote: »

No, "farmers" is the reporter's interpretation of this being a survey taken at the Bantry Show. Not everyone who goes to the Bantry Show is a farmer, or is from West Cork.
    I think Gerry Adams and Eamon Ryan cycle. Not sure what other Oireachtas members cycle in to government buildings.

Enda Kenny used to cycle sometimes; don't know if he still does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭endagibson

ED E wrote: »
    Light yourself up like a christmas tree, day or night. Its the only way.
    I don't believe the problem is that the OP is not being seen. The problem is more likely that he is being seen, but the chap or lady in the car is deciding to proceed regardless.

I think Gerry Adams and Eamon Ryan cycle. Not sure what other Oireachtas members cycle in to government buildings.

I've seem Eamon Ryan around on his bike. I once saw Ruairidh Quinn on a DublinBike. Ivana Bacik (hasn't been a TD yet, but is Labour leader in the Seanad, so might have some influence) cycles all the time. David Norris used to.

• Advertisement

No, "farmers" is the reporter's interpretation of this being a survey taken at the Bantry Show. Not everyone who goes to the Bantry Show is a farmer, or is from West Cork.

It's still a sample that would skew rural.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭2RockMountain

If I ever felt so stressed by cycling that was I considering festooning my bike with cameras, I'd give it up. Life's too short for that kind of aggravation.
    Personal choice of course, but for some (maybe many), running a camera is no more 'aggravation' that running a Fitbit or any other piece of technology.
    I heard Pascal O'Donoghue talking about cycling to the office at one stage.

endagibson wrote: »
    I don't believe the problem is that the OP is not being seen. The problem is more likely that he is being seen, but the chap or lady in the car is deciding to proceed regardless.

... with the added complication that the driver can claim, should their reckless manoeuvre go wrong, that they just couldn't see you. It's a Get Out of Jail Free card in the road-safety world if you kill a cyclist, pedestrian or motorcyclist. Bizarrely, it even works if the deceased looks like Tron.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

Personal choice of course, but for some (maybe many), running a camera is no more 'aggravation' that running a Fitbit or any other piece of technology.

I heard Pascal O'Donoghue talking about cycling to the office at one stage.

Maybe we could combine these two ideas and start a thread for photos of cycling TDs ;) And include other cycling famousers.

Advertisement