Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is the soccer forum restricted access?

Options
  • 24-09-2016 1:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭

Simple as the thread title. Why is the soccer forum restricted access? Why do I or any other poster have to apply to post on any thread on this forum? Seems utterly ridiculous to me.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Attracts a lot of rereg trolls, the access system stops them getting back in straight away. The forum was almost shut down completely many years ago it was so much trouble, the access system was implemented as a result.

Open access has been trialled the last 2 international tournaments. Noticeable increase in trolls this summer when it was open.

It sucks but football brings out the worst in some people, and I say that as ardent football fan.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

It's a historical thing.

Previously, the soccer forum was actually shut down due to rampant tribalism, spitefulness and downright unpleasantness.

Now, access is controlled in an effort to reduce all of the above.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

GLaDOS wrote: »

Open access has been trialled the last 2 international tournaments. Noticeable increase in trolls this summer when it was open.

Thought the first open access trial was very good, in fairness. No worse than the usual crap at the time.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Thought the first open access trial was very good, in fairness. No worse than the usual crap at the time.

I agree, was good to see new faces joining in. Was positive about repeating it this year.

For whatever reason it didn't work out as well this time. Maybe because Ireland were involved?

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

Attracts a lot of rereg trolls, the access system stops them getting back in straight away. The forum was almost shut down completely many years ago it was so much trouble, the access system was implemented as a result.

It sucks but football brings out the worst in some people, and I say that as ardent football fan.

Right so. I've seen the odd thread that I'd have liked to comment on but I really couldn't be arsed making an application to post. Simply not worth it. Seems like a very Irish solution to an Irish problem tbh. Uncontrollable knuckleheads fighting over something unimportant mean that normal peoples activities are curtailed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Nobody's activities are curtailed. There's just an extra step that needs to be completed in order to access the forum. And the forum is a better place thanks to that extra step.

Go on - go for it. :)

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Gaining access is not particularly difficult. The process is to get posters to read and understand the forum Charter, which is designed to try and reduce the amount of problems alluded to by Tom above (although they will never be eliminated altogether). There are minimum post counts and time since registration to minimise the numbers of the re-reg trolls (which can plague the likes of AH)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

It's not a particularly arduous process. I remember applying and getting access yonks ago, although I don't even remember if I've ever posted.

It is a general pity that we have to have this policy, but the evidence is there that it works. And as a result the forum is more enjoyable for everyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Maybe because Ireland were involved?

nah, it wasn't that.

Like anything on the internet in the last few years, opinions have become more entrenched you are either A or B, and you'll defend your position come hell or high water.

Also, there was a very noticable, although unadmitted, influx of those posters who are paid by Russia to disrupt any Russia-negative comment on message boards and blogs.

Advertisement