Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling Car Boot Sale. Balrothery Inn, Saturday 22nd October - 2-4pm

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

there was rather a lot of cranksets on sale!

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,477 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

koutoubia wrote: »
    The quantity and quality of stuff people had to sell was incredible.Eamonnster,Beasty and Rob Fowl especially. Really could have got myself into trouble.
    And really surprised that some stuff didn't sell.
    Sorry I didn't get to meet all of ya.
    Next time ?
    Well, a sale to you made my day:P

In other news the Lion of Fingal henceforth wishes to be known by a single name.....

Daisy will be seen on the roads of NCD over the forthcoming months

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭koutoubia

there was rather a lot of cranksets on sale!

There was wasn't there. And some really beautiful ones as well!

Beasty wrote:
    Well, a sale to you made my day
    I had to buy something from ya to shut you up.A bleeding terror that's what ya are
    Beasty wrote:
    In other news the Lion of Fingal henceforth wishes to be known by a single name.....
    The Lion of Fingal changed his name to 'The MILF of Fingal' after an embarrassing episode on a flight a few years back.
    That's what he shall be known as henceforth....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

based on a discussion weepsie, ccdaly and i had about the multiple new rear 10sp derailleurs beasty had:
    http://faqload.com/faqs/bicycle-components/drivetrain/using-10-speed-rear-derailleur-with-11-speed-shifter-and-cassette

so no, you can't put them with an 11 speed cassette and unmodified shifter, as they don't move the same distance with the same cable pull as an 11 speed RD.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,477 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

By the time we move to 14 speed they'll be retro enough to be worth a few quid....

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Promised i would come home with less that I left with and failed ...

Shifted some nice bits of kit and saw could have bought many many others more.

Good turn out considering we tried to keep it low key.

Would def run another in the near future if there was interest.

based on a discussion weepsie, ccdaly and i had about the multiple new rear 10sp derailleurs beasty had:
    http://faqload.com/faqs/bicycle-components/drivetrain/using-10-speed-rear-derailleur-with-11-speed-shifter-and-cassette

so no, you can't put them with an 11 speed cassette and unmodified shifter, as they don't move the same distance with the same cable pull as an 11 speed RD.

My understanding of the rd is that that the RD is basically an 'instrument' to hold the chain in place/situ.
    The compatibility should be between the cassette and shifter.
    I admit I didn't read your link....

RobFowl wrote: »
    Good turn out considering we tried to keep it low key.

Would def run another in the near future if there was interest.

Was happy with the turnout. Needed more buyers though :p

Was talking to c_daly about another one and Mrs. Eammonater and maybe have a look at one during the xmas hols?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Didn't realise Beasty had loads if stuff in his arms til too late, otherwise it would have been back with even more x

• Advertisement

Weepsie wrote: »
    Didn't realise Beasty had loads if stuff in his arms til too late, otherwise it would have been back with even more x
    he didn't even take his stuff out of the car ffs.
    You just went up to him and told him what you were looking for and he pulled it out of thin air.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

he didn't even take his stuff out of the car ffs.
    You just went up to him and told him what you were looking for and he pulled it out of thin air.

A right old real life Fagan!

My understanding of the rd is that that the RD is basically an 'instrument' to hold the chain in place/situ.
    The compatibility should be between the cassette and shifter.
    I admit I didn't read your link....
    From what I read, a 10sp and an 11sp derailleur move different distances for the same pull on the cable, hence the incompatibility.

From what I read, a 10sp and an 11sp derailleur move different distances for the same pull on the cable, hence the incompatibility.

..and anyway why were you not wearing your name tag?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Hope everything went well for everyone.

I see Cycle Superstore are running something similar in November too.

MIght be on interest to people. I probably should start a seperate thread.

http://www.cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/viewContent.asp?idpage=469

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭moonshadow

Nice set up , and I thought it was going to be a real fire sale at one point ;) ..... but I had to bale out though as I got a call that the young fella broke his leg at a match and was en route to the Lourdes hospital.... My spending money paid for that !!

moonshadow wrote: »
    I thought it was going to be a real fire sale at one point ;)
    That was koutoubia having a sneaky fag behind Eurospar....

No it was me signalling that I had broke my promise not to buy anything today. Truth is I broke it even before it started...as Eamonater was unpacking his car I spotted a pair of shades I liked.

OleRodrigo wrote: »
    Going for an Equilibrium I'd build it up from the frame unless you get a good price from one of the UK outlets, in which case 6 months with the stock wheels is grand.
    not something i've ever asked about in a shop - would a shop be at all interested in offering an allowance against stock wheels?
    i wouldn't be interested in the stock wheels, so i'd have to add the price of a new pair onto the bike, which pushes the price up by about €200 for me. but i suspect the shop would be equally uninterested in them.

one thing which is complicating a self build a bit for me is that the FD for that frame would be a band-on, and the brakes used on the stock bike are 57mm drop, which you don't get with the cost effective groupset deals.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭rtmie

not something i've ever asked about in a shop - would a shop be at all interested in offering an allowance against stock wheels?
    I was browsing/window shopping in a well known shop and had mentioned I was happy with wheels on my current bike. He said if I was interested in buying the bike I was looking at( I wasn't as it happened), that they would give and allowance for the wheels on it. So obviously it is a thing that shops do. However given the type of wheels on most new bikes typically Aksium or.similar and the price they can be had at, I couldn't see the offering a substantial allowance.

• Advertisement

Funny thing is that I'd be considering aksiums as the wheels I'd want to upgrade to...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Hope everything went well for everyone.

I see Cycle Superstore are running something similar in November too.

MIght be on interest to people. I probably should start a seperate thread.

http://www.cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/viewContent.asp?idpage=469

Probably a lot easier for the south side lads. Will probably be there (no kids this time!)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Went to check my loot and realised I hadn't bought the carbon bottle cages that someone was selling that I was convinced j had

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

Fair play for organising it lads and good to meet yous.

Just one thing tho, I went for dinner in the pub straight after, my sales money didn't even make it home. When I was leaving there was a few tyres and bits left in the carpark down we were. They looked like rubbish so I put them in the bin but I'm not sure how happy people will be to let us have another one if people leave stuff behind.

Thanks Joey. I maybe guilty on the tyre thing! Where they blue and black? I took a set of Rob Fowl and then couldn't find them when I got home.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

They were one of the sets alright! Was going to hang onto them but they looked pretty worn so I just put them in the bin. That strategy of not spending didn't work out for you so, you got some much stuff you couldn't even remember what you had.......

Yeah but don't tell the missus. Told her I broke even but the reality is a long way from that!

would possibly be worth trying to get a stand at the dublin flea for sellers? far more footfall.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

I thought it was a good turnout for a first attempt. Koutobia and I are Balrothery boys so no real interest in organising one else where though would support it if someone else did.

Wanted to keep it a little low key for various reasons and in the cycling community but really happy with the efforts those who turned up made.

Beastys track bike on display (i asked him if he could ) was fantastic and one of the lads had a seriously sexy Hinault bike for sale (thank God it was too big for me).

With a little more advertising suspect would work better and I think we could do another before Christmas??

Anyway good to see so many out and glad to come home with a little more money than i left although with nearly as much kit....

• Advertisement

i was in duff cycles yesterday and chatting to the mechanics about it. they were gutted they hadn't heard about it.

Advertisement