Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

E210 2005 Corolla hatchback clutch and accelerator pedal messed up

• 24-09-2016 2:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hello everyone ,I have a 2005 Corolla hatchback 1.4 Petrol and wanted to know if these things can be fixed or are they normal?

-Clutch pedal is fair heavy and the biting point thing is messed up like i have to hold it at the biting point THEN release SLOWLY to get a smooth shift or else the car jerks. ( Yes probably not descriptive enough but never had this problem on a micra and avensis , family owned cars )

- Accelerator pedal is sensitive , I press it as slowly as i can and the revs bounce up to like 1k easily , so with this and the clutch problem, drivng in traffic and being in a small hill roundabout is absolute hell I allways have to use the handbrake so I dont rear end the car behind me , NEVER HAD ANY OF THESE PROBLEMS IN MY MOM'S K12 2004 MICRA which had the accelerator pedal completely normal and clutch biting point was not messed up in anyway and not heavy?

-Gear throws are really long like first to second and I have to use some strength for the throws ( CAR OWNED SINCE FEBURARY SO YES IM USED TO IT BUT NOW IM JUST TIRED OF THIS EFFORT OF DRIVING IT )

ALSO I GOT IT SERVICED BY MAIN TOYOTA DEALERSHIP ( Car bought in Feb by normal used car dealer , and serviced in toyota dealership like mid of March ) So yes it has been checked properly and yes I know I got ripped off badly...

Bacially i want to know if these problems are 'normal' for the car , if not can they be repaired and how much? Or do I buy another car ( 1.4 Mazda 3 , 1.4 MK5 Golf , 1.4 Astra ? ) ,Thanks for reading and any help is appriciated!

(In title i meant E120 Corolla , cant seem to edit it now)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

That's definitely not normal, Toyota controls should be dead light. I used to own a Corolla and I've driven a variety of Toyotas over the years, and they're all the same - effortless but unbelievably boring.

The one thing I do remember being impressed about my 'rolla was the gearbox - it was a delight to use, there's a real positive throw to the gearbox and gearshifts are very slick in them. That said, the one I owned was the model before yours (an E110), and apparently they have a different gearbox (although from the same C series Toyota family of gearbox).

In the Avensis the gearbox does get quite stiff before it gives up the ghost and it will also start to sound louder on the move, a noise appears that stays the same irrespective of speed or gear. Despite Toyota's reputation for reliability, they do give problems and bearings are a well known weakness on many Toyota gearbox. It wouldn't surprise me if the bearings on your one were on the way out, if it's not caught in time you will need to get a new (well, secondhand) gearbox. Have you checked if there is a change in sound when you press the clutch in? In the Mk2 Avensis there is a bit of a long throw, so maybe it's the same with the E120 'rolla, the gear lever looks exactly the same in both and it's quite a bit away from where the gear linkage is, which probably makes it feel like there is a long throw, in the older Toyotas the top of the gear lever was much closer to the gear linkage. The high biting point indicates that you'll be needing a new clutch disc in the not too distant future, the biting point on a clutch disc with plenty of life left would be much closer to the floor.

The engine is very responsive and is sensitive to the throttle position - that's a good thing, a good petrol engine responds instantly to the accelerator, no delay like there is in many diesels!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 JapR32

Thanks for that man sorry for the late reply got busy with life , yeah ill get all that checked by a mechanic thanks for the help!

Advertisement