Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cogswell & Harrison CZ455

Options
  • 24-09-2016 2:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭

Went in today to put a deposit on a new CZ 455 hmr.
    I was shown a cogswell and harrison and told its the same thing, looked like the same thing etc so I put the deposit down and am now thinking, IS IT the same thing....oops.
    I'm sure I can go back and change my mind as the paperwork hasn't gone in yet.

Any ideas if they are same same?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭gunny123

Why not buy exactly what you want and not what someone wants to sell you ? God knows cz's are not difficult to find in irish gunshops. The cogswell and harrison might be a rebadged cz, but if you are not sure, pick up the phone and make sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭ligertigon

You are correct.
    I did ask, and was told that they are the same except for quite a large natural variation in the wood for the stock, I looked at a few.

I cannot find anything else about them online etc, I was told that if the barrel is removed, CZ is stamped under, I also asked if aftermarket 455 parts fit and was told they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Brasros

As far as I am aware Ardee sports own Cogswell and Harrison they may give you some information.

Ardee is where I went, and got the info.
    They didn't have any CZ 455 left in hmr, and I believe these are the new replacement, perhaps nationwide?

ligertigon wrote:
    Ardee is where I went, and got the info. They didn't have any CZ 455 left in hmr, and I believe these are the new replacement, perhaps nationwide?

If it is a cz you want you certainly will get one from Atlantic Shooting in Carlow.

• Advertisement

Will go back in Monday and ask to change to a CZ Varmint. Hopefully there shouldn't be an issue.
    I actually liked the "cogswell & Harrison", lovely finish.
    But "I know" the CZ is accurate as do most of the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Wadi14

Have you seen there's a CZ for sale here on Boards

Wadi14 wrote: »
    Have you seen there's a CZ for sale here on Boards

Unfortunately after a deposit was payed.....

ligertigon wrote:
    Will go back in Monday and ask to change to a CZ Varmint. Hopefully there shouldn't be an issue. I actually liked the "cogswell & Harrison", lovely finish. But "I know" the CZ is accurate as do most of the world.

If you like the Cogswell why not go for it, today is the first time I have heard they do rimfire rifles so couldn't tell you about there accuracy, I did have a .17 hmr savage and it is a tack driver.

go back in on Monday and tell him the wife, Mother, girlfriend or boyfriend doesn't want me buying a rifle , you went in to buy a cz Im sure every business has to incorporate a cooling off period.

• Advertisement

Wadi14 wrote: »
    go back in on Monday and tell him the wife, Mother, girlfriend or boyfriend doesn't want me buying a rifle , you went in to buy a cz Im sure every business has to incorporate a cooling off period.

Thanks for being so PC as to if I might have had a boyfriend :D.

I'll just tell the truth, in the meantime I have contacted CZ to see if they will give me any information on differences if any..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭ormondprop

My first time ever hearing about these cogswell and harrison rebadged cz's, after doing a bit of googling and i'm after spotting a few for sale in the uk and can clearly see from the pics that they are cz's and stamped by cz so all that seems to be differant is the stocks which look nice so i'd have no problem buying one of these, seems to be a model cz are making for cogswell and harrison with they're choice of stock

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Was in a dealers about two years ago and a mate was buying a 22. He was looking at CZ and was shown a KBM or KPR or KPM. One of those acronyms.

The dealer said it was a CZ. However the action was stamped with the acronym above. The stock was similar, but different. It looked unfinished but this was by design. However the bolt was stiff in the rifle, due to the imperfect stock as the bolt handle was not dropping cleaning into the recess in the stock. The barrel was touching slightly on the foreend and other smaller issues mostly related to the stock.

A bit of a "debate" started how the rifle was not a CZ, but either a clone or another brand using the CZ action. We went back and forth and i don't think it was deception as much as the dealer just assumed it was a CZ. As with Ormondprop i done some Googling later on and found it was another manufacturer that uses CZ actions (and barrels i think) in their rifles, but they are sold under the KPM/KBM brand with no mention of CZ on the action/barrel, etc.

It was cheaper, albeit a small bit, than the CZ, but the imperfect finish and a few other minor factors meant my mate went for an original CZ even though this "new brand" was being pushed on him.

The point of the above is if you want a CZ go for the CZ. It doesn't matter if the C&H uses the same action, etc. it's not a CZ (as in from them). If the brand name doesn't matter to you then go with the C&H.

Don't let the dealer dictate to you what you get because it's what they want to sell or all they have in stock. IOW instead of letting you leave the shop they get you to buy what they have. There is no shortage of CZ's around the country.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Cass wrote: »
    Was in a dealers about two years ago and a mate was buying a 22. He was looking at CZ and was shown a KBM or KPR or KPM. One of those acronyms.

The dealer said it was a CZ. However the action was stamped with the acronym above. The stock was similar, but different. It looked unfinished but this was by design. However the bolt was stiff in the rifle, due to the imperfect stock as the bolt handle was not dropping cleaning into the recess in the stock. The barrel was touching slightly on the foreend and other smaller issues mostly related to the stock.

A bit of a "debate" started how the rifle was not a CZ, but either a clone or another brand using the CZ action. We went back and forth and i don't think it was deception as much as the dealer just assumed it was a CZ. As with Ormondprop i done some Googling later on and found it was another manufacturer that uses CZ actions (and barrels i think) in their rifles, but they are sold under the KPM/KBM brand with no mention of CZ on the action/barrel, etc.

It was cheaper, albeit a small bit, than the CZ, but the imperfect finish and a few other minor factors meant my mate went for an original CZ even though this "new brand" was being pushed on him.

The point of the above is if you want a CZ go for the CZ. It doesn't matter if the C&H uses the same action, etc. it's not a CZ (as in from them). If the brand name doesn't matter to you then go with the C&H.

Don't let the dealer dictate to you what you get because it's what they want to sell or all they have in stock. IOW instead of letting you leave the shop they get you to buy what they have. There is no shortage of CZ's around the country.

Thanks Cass.
    Essentially, I would be buying a brand no one heard of. No reviews, no comparisons, no idea on reliability etc. Why bother when for the same price I can get something that is known.
    My concerns would be C&H using sub standard parts/steel so as not to challenge the CZ brand, and this information not readily available.

[QUOTE=ligertigon;
    My concerns would be C&H using sub standard parts/steel so as not to challenge the CZ brand, and this information not readily available.[/QUOTE]

It might not be the case that C&H are making these rifles CZ could be making the rifles for them,
    Weatherby's sold a .22 rifle with their name on it, its had a Anschutz 64 barrelled action made by Anschutz for Weatherby's and you could buy it cheaper than an Anschutz 64.
    Its like most goods in the world you can be surprised at times to find out who made what for who.

Advertisement