Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

21st cake tin

Options
  • 24-09-2016 3:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I need to source two tins for a 21st birthday cake. I need a two and a one obviously, preferably not silicone as I have used silicone previously and not had a good experience.

Not looking to spend too much, but would appreciate any help at all as I am not having much luck with sourcing tins, I can only seem to find silicone.

Many thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭phormium

Are you in Dublin? There are places that rent them out. Bit of a waste to buy them if it's only for one cake, they won't be cheap I'd imagine.

Failing that there are lots of templates online on how to cut numbers out of sheet cakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

phormium wrote: »
    Are you in Dublin? There are places that rent them out. Bit of a waste to buy them if it's only for one cake, they won't be cheap I'd imagine.

Failing that there are lots of templates online on how to cut numbers out of sheet cakes.
    Sadly not, no, I would far prefer to rent them out. I'm not the best with sculpting so was hoping for an easy option.

Now I'm thinking maybe just a rectangular tin might be better? At least I could re-use it again as its just a plain shape.

Need to make a decent sized cake, enough to feed 20-30 people. Roughly what size rectangular tin would I need? I've only ever used small tins for the likes of a lemon cake and similar.

What type of cake are you baking? Is it to be served as dessert or just finger food portions at a party?

One is easy enough, two idea is here https://www.pinterest.com/pin/477592735463327435/

What type of cake are you baking? Is it to be served as dessert or just finger food portions at a party?

One is easy enough, two idea is here https://www.pinterest.com/pin/477592735463327435/

It's a chocolate cake. I was thinking this one but I would need to change the ingredients to make it better/more suitable for a bigger rectangular tin.

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/3092/ultimate-chocolate-cake

If not that one, something really similar.

Serving slightly bigger finger food portions but not as big as a normal cake slice.

That's basically a chocolate mud cake type recipe, will make a very close textured dense cake, tasty and should cut well into small slices but can be hard enough to cook right especiall in a large quantity, I would be more inclined to do it in two layers than to try and make one big cake and split it through the middle.

Less chance of the mix falling in a shallower cake.

• Advertisement

That's basically a chocolate mud cake type recipe, will make a very close textured dense cake, tasty and should cut well into small slices but can be hard enough to cook right especiall in a large quantity, I would be more inclined to do it in two layers than to try and make one big cake and split it through the middle.

Less chance of the mix falling in a shallower cake.
    Thanks so much for your help, it turns out now that I will only need enough for about twelve people, so I am thinking of doing two layers, as you say, buttercream/jam in the centre, maybe a ganache around the outside, some fingers or kitkats around the outside with a ribbon around them and a few decorations (sprinkles, swirls and stuff), candles and that would be fine.

I would bake the layers separately because as you say its better and less chance of them falling into a shallow layer then.

I have a nine in square tin that I will use for it as I think that would be better than doing a bigger cake, it'll be a filling cake so people will only want a small bit of it rather than a big slice.

Advertisement