Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chili Powder for Indian cuisine

Options
  • 24-09-2016 3:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭

Hey all

Looking to move away from store bought pastes as I have 5 different pastes opened in fridge and I end up dumping them.

But it annoys me in recipes that say chili powder, literally in tesco there are 5 different chili powder all with different combinations of cumin, coriander etc

Can anyone recommend a good chili powder for Indian cuisine specifically cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

I think when an Indian recipe calls for chili powder it means nothing but powdered chilis, not a spice blend like you'd use to make chili con carne so if you can't get to an asian supermarket, you can substitute cayenne pepper for chili powder.

If you can get to an asian supermarket, this is what I normally buy:

MiEnRtS.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I thought you must have been confusing it with curry powder as I wondered why the hell anything else would be put in chilli powder, besides maybe a little salt or something.

My tesco have the chilli powder shown above, its also showing online.

http://www.tesco.ie/groceries/product/search/default.aspx?searchBox=chilli%20powder

It is nowhere near the other chilli powders, it is its own little "asian supermarket" section, which i beside and american food section.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,467 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Yes, chilli powder in an Indian recipe means just that, powdered chillis.

If there's anything else in it it's a spice mix for making chili con carne, so just look at the ingredients list on the jars in Tesco, or better still, get yourself to the nearest Asian store, and buy the bags there, much, much cheaper. East End, Rajah, Natco or TRS are common brands.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,540 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Get your slices in an Asian market . Much better value

• Registered Users Posts: 39,383 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Alun wrote: »
    Yes, chilli powder in an Indian recipe means just that, powdered chillis.
    Does it not mean that in all recipes?

At home I have;
    Ground chilli
    Chilli flakes,
    Mexican chillis,
    cayenne pepper

I've a few spice blends, but done of them are label as chilli powder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,467 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Mellor wrote: »
    Does it not mean that in all recipes?
    Well, yes it does, but I wasn't implying that it was only in Indian recipes, just that was what the OP was asking about originally.

Anyway, as mentioned, sometimes what is clearly labelled as Chilli Powder on the jar contains other things such as coriander, cumin, oregano etc.

See here for an example ...

http://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=257505263

Advertisement