Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storing a bike in the city centre

Options
  • 24-09-2016 3:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm looking to buy a house in Dublin city, one thing that really cuts down my choice is the bike. I've never learned to drive so I cycle everywhere. This rules out most terraced houses as they dont have rear access and with space at a premium in most houses in the city centre dragging a bike through the house many times a day usually isn' t practical. So I'm wondering if anyone has any innovative thoughts about how/where to store a bike that will be used daily ? The housing supply is tight enough as it is but when I have to rule out most terraced houses due to the bike this really narrows the choice. Any ideas ? I've found one house I like in Dublin 2 inside the canal but its terraced, it has a small yard out the back but I'd have to carry the bike down some stairs and through a living room to get to it which I dont think is really practical to be doing multiple times a day every day. I could of course lock it to the nearest pole on the road but I tend to buy quite expensive bikes (~€900) so I reckon it would soon be destroyed by the elements or the natives if I left it locked outdoors every night.
    Any ideas ?

Thanks,

Usjes.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭2RockMountain

A friend in a terraced house describes her 'front room' as the most expensive bike shed in Dublin, with four family bikes there. There are bunker options which you might be able to fit in a front garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭CPTM

I'm in a terraced house, the bike sits just inside the front door the whole time.. it's no biggy really, and its probably the safest place to put it.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Usjes

A friend in a terraced house describes her 'front room' as the most expensive bike shed in Dublin, with four family bikes there. There are bunker options which you might be able to fit in a front garden.
    No front garden, the front door opens directly onto the path.

CPTM wrote: »
    I'm in a terraced house, the bike sits just inside the front door the whole time.. it's no biggy really, and its probably the safest place to put it.

The house I'm looking at has a small landing inside the door with a door into the kitchen and then stairs down to a lower level and stairs up to an upper level, so nowhere to put it unless I drag it up or down stairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

Could you hang the bike?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Mr. Grieves

Bringing a bike through a terraced house isn't too much trouble, I do it a couple of times a day. No stairs involved unless it's the good bike, which is kept upstairs but used only once a week. If it's really a chore you could buy a beater to lock on the street, I know someone who did that; he got a few years before it was stolen.

Bringing a bike through a terraced house isn't too much trouble, I do it a couple of times a day. No stairs involved unless it's the good bike, which is kept upstairs but used only once a week. If it's really a chore you could buy a beater to lock on the street, I know someone who did that; he got a few years before it was stolen.

What is a 'beater' ? I'm guessing it will only protect the bike from the natives and not from the elements ?

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭scaryfairy

why don't you get a Brompton that you can use every day & a "proper" bike that you could use for longer rides on weekends? you could keep the brompton anywhere in the house, it folds very neat, and keep the other one out at the back or wherever.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Mr. Grieves

Usjes wrote: »
    What is a 'beater' ? I'm guessing it will only protect the bike from the natives and not from the elements ?

A beater is a very cheap bike which is unattractive to bike thieves and inexpensive to replace in the event it does get stolen.

A Brompton isn't a bad idea too.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I've kept about 10 bikes in the house for the last few years. It's the best place for them, secure and dry.

I parked my motorbike in the hall once just to give my long-suffering wife a bit of perspective. We're still together.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,538 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Lumen wrote: »
    I've kept about 10 bikes in the house for the last few years. It's the best place for them, secure and dry.

I parked my motorbike in the hall once just to give my long-suffering wife a bit of perspective. We're still together.
    Do you not get lonely living alone ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

A beater is a very cheap bike which is unattractive to bike thieves and inexpensive to replace in the event it does get stolen.

A Brompton isn't a bad idea too.

Ah, I was assuming the beater was an old car; can you still tax the car as off-road? It costs something like €65 a year to park your private property on your local street, so you could theoretically use the old car to store bikes in, setting it up with good locks ;)

@usges, not all city centre houses are in terraces. Lots of them have small front gardens or basement areas. And by 'city centre' what circle do you mean exactly? How close to the GPO?

For instance, Kimmage is around 5k from the GPO, and the standard house is a three-bed semi:

https://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/64-larkfield-grove-harold-s-cross-dublin-6w/3475991

(Sorry, that's actually a terrace house, but it's not on-street, it has a paved front garden and a long, grassy back garden.)

Advertisement