Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Walking the Beara-Breifne Way

Options
  • 24-09-2016 5:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Thinking about walking the Beara-Breifne Way next summer. Maybe for charity to have an excuse to do it.
    Looking for some tips from anyone with experience.
    Did you camp or stay in B&B's or hostels?
    I'm a former Scout so I'd have boots and waterproofs.
    Would a 50l bag be sufficient?
    I'd be aiming to complete it in 8-10 days, is this realistic?
    Also I'd consider doing a couple of routes on the Ulster Way since I'd have gone that far, any suggestions?

Comments

Presume the speed and probability of doing it would very much depend on your own fitness, and of course whether you are lugging camping equipment or not. Can't say I've done a multi day walk but would have thought 500km in 8 days with gear optimistic.

Would you not start with something like a 3 day walk on a trail to gauge your speed, what you can carry etc.?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

it passes my house at one point, I've never seen anyone on it. IMO to much of it is on roads to make it worth it, and don't know about other places but in my section (Tipperary) B&Bs are few and far between

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭CardinalJ

I did the wicklow way in 2 days. Around 65km a day. Two of us did it and both had knackered feet for a few weeks after.

500km in 8 days would be too much if you asked me. Even in 10.

Its just the amount of time youre on your feet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

Bear in mind it took Donal Cam O'Sullivan and his men two weeks so 8-10 days is not impossible, but defiantly not easy

The Galtee Walking Club did it and there's a report on it here

• Advertisement
Advertisement